Fry Bread…

Another good reason to keep bread dough in your refrigerator. Most Sunday nights my little family gets together with my folks and brother’s family for supper. We take turns hosting and have done potluck style, cookouts, and picnics. But on the Sundays we stay home I serve a snacky type fare or yell “fend for yourselves.” Tonight I spotted the bread dough I made earlier in the week just sitting in my fridge begging to be eaten. I did use it Friday night to make a stromboli, a type of Italian “pizza” rolled up with no sauce, just cheese and salami. I serve the sauce on the side. So I wondered how this dough would taste fried up, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, then drizzled with honey once torn open. I must say it was a hit! Perfect with a tall glass of ice cold milk. Put that dough in your refrigerator folks, it is great for a quick pizza, stromboli, fry bread, or baked up into a traditional loaf, it has been a lifesaver.

Fry Bread
A grapefruit sized piece of dough from The Master Recipe of the Artisan Bread In 5 Minutes a Day
vegetable oil for frying
cinnamon sugar*
honey

In a large iron skillet heat one inch oil to 325-350°. Pinch off walnut-sized pieces of dough and fry in oil, turning until golden brown. Drop in cinnamon sugar to coat well. Serve hot with a drizzle of honey and an ice cold glass of milk.
*1 c. white sugar + 1/4 c. cinnamon

Gotta Run… It’s baseball’s opening night here in DC.
Go Nationals!!!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Nicole
    Posted 03/31/2008 at 1:39 PM | Permalink

This looks delicious! I will have to try it. I haven’t made bread in a while. Giada does a little doughnut from leftover pizza dough too. See the recipe she uses here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30335,00.html

I like your blog! I will keep it bookmarked.

2. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 04/01/2008 at 10:04 AM | Permalink

Thanks Nicole! I checked out Giada’s recipe and the chocolate glaze sounds wonderful.

3. avatar redforever
    Posted 07/28/2008 at 8:43 PM | Permalink

I just lost my father May of this year and these bring back fond memories of him.

My mother made most of her bread, and no matter if she made a sweet bread or just a plain bread, she had to make a few fry cakes for my father.

Once they were done, he would get a small pudding size dish. Then he either poured in golden corn syrup or else chokecherry syrup that my mother made and then the eating ritual commenced.

Dunk fry cake in syrup, take a bite and then repeat. If necessary, refill bowl with more syrup.

4. avatar Kitti
    Posted 01/30/2009 at 9:18 PM | Permalink

wow these sound awesome!! great way to use up some of that refrigerator bread! Something Ive been wondering though, with the refrigerated dough, do you add more to it when you take some off (like with sourdough) or do you just use it up and mix more?

5. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/30/2009 at 11:07 PM | Permalink

Hi Kitti- No, you use it up then mix a new batch. Thanks for stopping by!

6. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 02/20/2010 at 5:27 PM | Permalink

I want to thank the blogger very much not only for this post but also for his all previous efforts. I found http://www.bigredkitchen.com to be very interesting. I will be coming back to http://www.bigredkitchen.com for more information.