Oatmeal Cake

This cake is an old recipe from my mother-in-law, Marilou. She got it from her next door neighbor, June Johnson, in 1963. June got it from…I have no idea. I have been making this recipe for a few years now and it is a delicious way to use up leftover oatmeal. It is a very moist cake, almost gooey, nothing wrong with that. I made a big platter of it for my lady’s group today, hope they like it. Here is the recipe just as Marilou typed it out in an email to me back in August 2002. I love hand written or typed recipes written in the way someone would talk, not all formal-like.

Oatmeal Cake
Oatmeal Cake 1963 from friend next door (June Johnson)
1 1/4 cups boiling water over 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal. Let stand 20 minutes. Or use 1 cup left-over oatmeal.

Cream together: 1 cube butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
Add: 2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Add oatmeal mixture and 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 tsp soda.
Bake 350 degree oven 30 minutes in 9×13 greased pan.

Top with topping and return to oven 10 minutes or
until brown.
Topping: 4 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
4 tablespoons cream
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans are GREAT)

Enjoy. This is very moist cake, great with coffee and friends. I’m sure you could take alot of the fat out by substitution.

have a great week.
Mom

PS- I really like my mother-in-law! Aren’t I a lucky person to be able to say that? She has been a great blessing to me over these last 15 years. A mentor, mother, and friend. Now go and call your mother-in-law and tell her you love her even if it might kill you. Then go and make this cake, it will make you feel good. Really.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 05/16/2008 at 9:17 AM | Permalink

I absolutely treasure those recipes that people have been carrying around for so many years. Those are the best.

PS. Although my MIL is quirky, I like mine too :)

2. avatar EAT!
    Posted 05/16/2008 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

looks like my coffee with have company tomorrow morning.

3. avatar Kate
    Posted 05/16/2008 at 11:38 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, has your big red kitchen turned blue?!

This is, without question, my favorite cake. I don’t like red velvet, I can take or leave chocolate, I’m a little fussy about cheesecake, but this broiled topping oatmeal cake has always, always, been my favorite. It was my birthday cake of choice.

My grandmother and mother used to make it when I was a child, growing up on the east coast. For some reason in my early adult years, it disappeared from the rotation. I’m not sure why.

Years later, I was browsing at a “Friends of the Library” book sale and saw one of those spiral bound fundraiser cookbooks that groups distribute to raise money. I often treasure those old fundraiser books — they are so quirky and fun and I love some of the personal comments the contributors make.

As I leafed through this book, my eyes fell on a recipe for Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Topping. There it was! My favorite cake from childhood. I was so happy! And then, I simply could not believe my eyes. The contributor was an Aunt I didn’t know very well, from Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. No question about it (you’d never mistake her name for anyone else’s name, right down to the unusual spelling and “wife of ___” with my Uncle’s name after it) and it was from her hometown, and the book turned out to be from a school where she was a volunteer. She’d been gone for years, and here her recipe was, for my favorite cake, all the way out here in California 40 years later, in my hands. I naturally bought it on the spot.

Sorry to take up all the comment space, but this recipe brings out the story in me! Thanks for reminding me I need to make it soon.

• avatar Emma
      Posted 02/22/2014 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

What was the name of the cookbook your aunt contributed to, I’d like a copy of the book? Thanks! Emm

4. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 05/17/2008 at 12:13 AM | Permalink

what is a ‘cube’ of butter? is that a stick?

5. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 05/17/2008 at 7:47 AM | Permalink

recipegirl- I have some real nice handwritten recipes from most of the women in my family, treasures!

eat!- Coffee does like good company.

Kate- Thanks for sharing your story. That is amazing that that book was the one your aunt was in and helped make. It was meant to be found just by you alone! I love those little fundraiser books, just made some yesterday for our bake sale this week. There are some of the best recipes in them.

anon- a cube is an old fashioned way of saying stick. I left the recipe in its original text but I should have clarified what a cube was. Thanks!

6. avatar dobetter
    Posted 05/19/2008 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

Oh, these old recipes are always good ones! Looks great!

7. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 05/19/2008 at 6:29 PM | Permalink

DoBetter! These recipes are special. Thanks!

8. avatar Shelby
    Posted 01/12/2011 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

I love this cake – very similar to one of my mom's favorites that she likes to make and I grew up eating.

9. avatar Letty Borrero
    Posted 09/13/2012 at 3:39 AM | Permalink

I really want to make this recipe…but I have a question….what is a cube of butter….Is it a stick…..or what….
    thanks a lot….

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 09/13/2012 at 8:13 AM | Permalink

Yes, a cube is a stick. enjoy!