Frozen Red Grapes & Dusty Grapes

When I was first married my husband asked me to make frozen grapes. So I did. I had never heard of frozen grapes before and made them the best I thought how. I proudly put a bowl of frozen grapes in front of him, vines and all, and he said not green grapes, red grapes and after trying to eat a few I knew why. Green grapes freeze solid and are practically impossible to consume. Oh and not on the vines either, said Himself. Now red grapes on the other hand freeze beautifully, like little frosted candies. My children are home from school and feed about every two hours so keeping up is very difficult especially in the healthy food department. But Frozen Red Grapes is my answer to the dilemma. The kids love them and Himself can eat a whole bowl of these and considering that it could have been chips then it is fine with me, I’ll keep making them.

Frozen Red Grapes
red grapes

Place grapes in a large bowl and fill with water to cover. Add a veggie cleaner if you have it. Soak grapes at least 20 minutes to remove any dirt, pesticide, and grime. Rinse well. Spread on towels to let dry. Remove grapes from their vines and place on a large cookie sheet. Freeze a few hours until frozen solid. Move to a zip top freezer bag. To serve, take out what you need as you do not want the whole batch to defrost. Delicious!

The following is an occasional “treat” version of the above. I serve Dusty Grapes when my kids haven’t had sugar in what, a whole hour. A great way to ruin a perfectly healthy snack, but man are they tasty.

Dusty Grapes
3 cups frozen red grapes
2-3 T. any flavor Jell-O powder

Place frozen grapes in a quart sized zip top bag, add Jell-O powder, zip bag and shake well. Be sure that your frozen grapes are right from the freezer because any condensation will cause clumping. I place a small amount in ramekins as treats for the kiddies (well all right I confess, me too!) and quickly return leftovers to the freezer.

Note- I have not tried this with sugar-free Jell-O but imagine it would work fine.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 06/16/2008 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

The Jello is such a great idea. Good thinking! What a creative mom you are.

2. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 06/16/2008 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

sabrina-Thanks, we like the strawberry flavored Jell-o best but I bet lime would be good too.

3. avatar Lisa
    Posted 06/16/2008 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

I just made frozen grapes the other day. A nice healthy summer snack. These jello ones are a great idea!

4. avatar That Girl
    Posted 06/16/2008 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

Tell your husband he has a new internet admirer. Frozen grapes have been one of my favorite summer snacks since childhood!

5. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 06/16/2008 at 9:10 PM | Permalink

lisa- Just bought 2 more big packs of grapes to make more.

that girl- knowing that he has an admirer went right to his head!! Hee Hee!

6. avatar Brilynn
    Posted 06/16/2008 at 10:09 PM | Permalink

I have to buy grapes practically every other day because I eat so many of them this way, I love frozen grapes!

Frozen cherries are especially good too!

• avatar Lisa
      Posted 02/26/2013 at 11:46 PM | Permalink

I Love Cherry’s I Will Have To Try Them Frozen!!!

7. avatar Grace
    Posted 06/17/2008 at 4:51 AM | Permalink

i had to chuckle at the thought of your husband asking you to make frozen grapes. i believe that’s one thing any man can do! :)

8. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 06/17/2008 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

brilynn-I haven’t had frozen cherries yet. Will try once the price comes down a little.

grace- he makes a killer PBJ!

9. avatar Jenny
    Posted 06/17/2008 at 12:57 PM | Permalink

it’s an interesting recipe and idea. i’ve never heard of it before. i think i might try it.

10. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 06/18/2008 at 8:51 AM | Permalink

Hi Jenny yes do give them a go.

11. avatar bobzilla76
    Posted 08/06/2008 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

Everyone looks at me strangely when I mention frozen grapes.

They’re great for stopping you snack on unhealthy foods. They are so sweet and take so long to eat you only need a couple to sate your snack monster. :)

12. avatar DocZayus
    Posted 08/07/2008 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

These seem like an awesome idea.

I sure will give them a try!
    Thanks.

13. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 08/08/2008 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

bobzilla76- thanks for stopping by. We love our frozen grapes just for that purpose.

DocZayus- Give them a go and let me know!

14. avatar Jena
    Posted 10/09/2008 at 12:34 AM | Permalink

I love frozen grapes in the summer when the weather gets hot–better than any popsicle!

15. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 11/07/2008 at 6:33 PM | Permalink

Why is it that these sound like they’d be great in a martini?

16. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/07/2008 at 6:35 PM | Permalink

Anon- Now you’re talking!

17. avatar K. Fields
    Posted 11/13/2008 at 2:12 AM | Permalink

Wow! This brings back memories… I use to make frozen grapes for the kids all the time when they were little. I need to do that again, because I enjoyed them too. But I did like freezing the green grapes too. Because I like sucking on them like hard candy! :)

18. avatar Dixbie
    Posted 07/31/2009 at 6:40 PM | Permalink

I tried frozen grapes for the first time this week. First couple of bites, I thought, "What's the big deal?" By the time I finished 2 pounds of them, I was ready to freeze another batch! Excellent! These may wean me off of sugary popsicles!

19. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 07/17/2010 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

The Jell-O idea is cleaver but NOT sugar free.
    Aspartame and Splenda are toxic and both are related to weight gain and other health problems.

20. avatar Vickie
    Posted 01/30/2013 at 9:28 PM | Permalink

Try it with the new sour Jello. Better than any of the Sour Patch candy. Healthier also. Can also freeze bananas, cherries, casaba, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon. Almost any really juicy fruit.

I agree with one other who stated that the ‘sugar-free jello’ would not be the way to go with these. There have been reports about artificial sweeteners that cause issues with the brain (think Alzheimer’s) and causing diabetics to have their blood sugar soar. SURPRISE! And can trigger weight gain also.

Besides, when you have amazing fruit, a little jello won’t hurt ~ as long as it is just a little every once in a while. Better than downing a chocolate bar!!

21. avatar Michelle
    Posted 03/26/2013 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

I use Frozen grapes also when drinking wine. It wont water down the wine and you can eat them when finished.
    Also Frozen blueberry are great !!

3 Trackbacks