Standing Ovation! Kung Pao Chicken

Imust say that I have times when I am craving Chinese food. I get on these kicks that I have to have Chinese food NOW! The problem is, it is very hard to find decent Chinese around here, not the people, the food. The people are fine, it is the food that is the problem. Too greasy, too bland, to dry, to MSG-ish. You see my dilemma don’t you? Or how about this one: too inconsistent. I will finally find a place that is very tasty then go back and have the worst meal of my life. I guess they do not follow the recipes to a tee.

My Dad is an engineer and had the pleasure of working with many nationalities, so I must say we ate well. The dinner parties were grand to say the least. And there was my Mom in all those ethnic kitchens making mental notes as she watched the ladies cook and answer her many questions. She collected some really nice recipes along the way. I have taken a liking to Kung Pao Chicken but she does not have a recipe for that one. I was on my own. Low and behold the other day I was looking through all the food galleries and came across Bobby’s Kung Pao Chicken from blogchef.net and I have to say it is a really nice recipe. It was quick, tasty, juicy, and everything a Kung Pao should be. The beauty of stir-fry is that you can adjust the recipe to your own tastes. I only tweaked his recipe a little as I did add some more red pepper flakes, I like it to clear my sinuses, and increased the peanuts to 1/2 cup because I want a peanut or two in every bite. Love that crunch. He also stated that one could add some vegetables so I added some big wedges of vidalia onion. This dish served over a bed of rice wins a Standing Ovation! Thanks Bobby for filling my Kung Pao Chicken void.

Be on the lookout, your blog could be next!

PS- If you know of any good Chinese restaurants in the DC Metro area let me know so I can support my Chinese Food addiction. Oh our Dim Sum place closed too, so if you know of one give me a shout.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Kristen
    Posted 07/18/2008 at 10:05 AM | Permalink

Kung Pao Chicken is my absolute favorite! Can’t wait to try this recipe out.

2. avatar Bobby
    Posted 07/18/2008 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

This looks like it turned out great! I totally agree about local chines food being too inconsistent. I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe.

3. avatar Leah
    Posted 07/18/2008 at 11:15 AM | Permalink

Mmmmmm…Kung Pao, one of my most favorite Chinese dishes! Your photos are great too!

4. avatar Lisa
    Posted 07/18/2008 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

Wow! That looks so very delicious that I am having Chinese food cravings of my own now.

5. avatar That Girl
    Posted 07/18/2008 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

The last kung pao recipe I made was spicy enough for my taste either.

And I’ll help you with DC just as soon as I get my own hometown worked out ;-)

6. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 07/18/2008 at 1:59 PM | Permalink

Robin that looks soooooo good. Now I am craving Chinese food.

7. avatar Kate
    Posted 07/19/2008 at 12:29 AM | Permalink

That looks SO good. I’m craving it too, now. Stop that.

8. avatar Grace
    Posted 07/19/2008 at 5:12 AM | Permalink

kung pao is fun to say, and clearly, the spicier it is, the better. no one wants stuffy sinuses. :)

9. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/19/2008 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

Kristen- Love IT!

Bobby!- Congrats on a great recipe. Can’t wait to try out more from you site!

Leah- Thanks- I am liking photograhy!

Lisa- Crave no more!

Thatgirl- do help me find a great place.

anon- show thyself! Thanks go make this and kill the cravings.

Kate- Just stop and go make this.

Grace- Hot hot hot!

10. avatar Katie
    Posted 07/19/2008 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

Yay! It is always great to find a fantastic recipe online. I’ve tried some great ones and some awful ones. So-awful-they-headed-straight-to-the-trash-can recipes. And some oh-my-god-how-did-I-survive-without-this recipes. That chicken looks great!

11. avatar Michelle
    Posted 07/19/2008 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

Looks great Robin Sue! Isn’t Bobby’s blog the best for Chinese food. I made his Orange Chicken and it was fabulous!

12. avatar Sandy
    Posted 07/20/2008 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

I have all the ingredients for the chix! I just may try it, my kids will LOVE :)

13. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/21/2008 at 7:15 AM | Permalink

Katie- yes I do enjoy finding and keeping good recipes. I don’t think you have to be such a great cook, only have good recipes and they’ll think you’re great!

Michelle- I am really liking his Chinese food selections, such good choices.

Sandy- Give it a go and let me know!

14. avatar Ariel
    Posted 04/29/2009 at 9:34 AM | Permalink

Mei Wah in Friendship Heights, on top of Panera & Chipotle.. best Chinese food I've had outside of NY!!