Standing Ovations! Carne en Palito

I have recently begun to write about recipes I have tried from other Food Blogs. I am now dubbing them Standing Ovations! You can see BRK’s Recipe Index on my side bar for the Standing Ovations! I have posted in the past and have now properly tagged them as SO’s! This week I am featuring some recipes from Laylita’s Recipes. Layla has a beautiful blog highlighting her Ecuadorian heritage and the wonderful dishes she grew up eating. Lucky us. If you haven’t been to her site, you must. I am getting quite an education in Ecuadorian cuisine and life. By making her recipes, I feel I have travelled far from my kitchen to sample some wonderful new foods. For this meal I made her Carne en Palito which was a huge hit with my entire family. They devoured these thinly sliced, tender strips of beef on a stick. The flavor was fantastic. I chose to try two of her sauces to serve with this meal. The Balsamic Chimichurri Sauce and her Salsa de Mani which is one of the best peanut sauces I have ever had. Both of these sauces went perfectly with this meal and both were so different from each other it is hard to pick which one I liked best, so I won’t.

I served this meal with my Great Grandmother’s style of making French Fries, very thin and very salted, I call them Potato Sticks. See my notes on French Fry making. The sauces were a great accompaniment to the Potato Sticks as well. This meal hit a big home run at our house, it was almost as good as the Grand Slam Home Run we saw the other night at the Bowie Baysox game. In that one play, they edged out the Erie Seawolves for the victory, sorry j*amy! Stay tuned for some more Standing Ovations! Your blog could be next.

Thanks Layla for your fantastic recipes! I give you a Standing Ovation!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Katie
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Ooh that looks good!

How did you blog yourself up?? That sounds like an interesting story…

2. avatar Bobi
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 8:33 AM | Permalink

What an adventuresome recipe and your presentations are “Out of this World”.

3. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 9:15 AM | Permalink

Katie- I blew myself up in Organic Chemistry class in college. I needed to refine my chemical a little longer but had left the beaker on the Bunsen burner, therefore making the beaker hotter than my chemical’s boiling point. Instant Combustion! My whole lab aparatus blew up, the chemical had coated my thumb which was on fire, and thank goodness I had just taken my jacket off cuz I burned the hair off my arms. (It would have been my very flammable jacket with me in it) It was all very exciting and I was rescued by a very cute lab dude, which sort of made the whole thing worth it! All this over frying plantains in olive oil!! I’m having flash backs! Tee Hee!

Bobi- Thanks Bobi! It was a delicious adventure.

4. avatar [eatingclub] vancouver || js
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 11:26 AM | Permalink

I saw the carne en palito on Laylita’s site and I was also entranced. Seems like it would be an instant hit at any party. The thin fries are wonderful!

5. avatar That Girl
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

There’s something so very romantic about meat atop fries. I have no idea why I think that, or where it comes from, but I just love how the fries catch the juice of the meat.

6. avatar Sandy
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

And I give you a standing ovation for making my mouth water! LOL. Great pix and recipes. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

7. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 9:29 PM | Permalink

eatingclub- Thanks, this was a BIG hit with my family. I will double the recipe next time I make it. Layla has some great recipes.

That Gril- Anything with fries is great, especially muscles!

Sandy- Thanks for the Ovation!

8. avatar Kevin
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 10:29 PM | Permalink

That looks like a tasty meal!

9. avatar Grace
    Posted 07/11/2008 at 4:19 AM | Permalink

giving standing ovations is a great idea, and this is a fabulous selection. you did a wonderful job with it. :)
    meanwhile, i had some exciting experiences of my own in organic chemistry–there’s nothing quite like risking life and limb for a couple measly credits. :)

10. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/11/2008 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Kevin- Yup it was can’t wait to make it again.

Grace- Everyone likes a Standing Ovation! now and again. I risked my life and limbs many times in my nursing career, it is a dangerous gig. I once had a 280 pound guy fall on me, I couldn’t walk for a week!

11. avatar Nicole
    Posted 07/11/2008 at 7:58 PM | Permalink

This is the kind of thing I just LOVE. Love having a bunch of sauces too. Yummmmmmmyyyyy.

12. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/12/2008 at 8:29 AM | Permalink

Nicole- I am a saucy girl too! Sassy sometimes as well :-)

13. avatar Layla
    Posted 07/13/2008 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Thank you for the Standing Ovation! Everything looks amazing! I love the way you re-created this dish, I have never paired the carne in palito with the peanut sauce, what a great idea!

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/13/2008 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

Layla- You’re welcome! You deserve a Standing Ovation! for all your wonderful recipes. Thanks for sharing!

15. avatar Lobster Recipe
    Posted 07/13/2008 at 11:06 PM | Permalink

That looks like a fantastic summer recipe. The sauces sound amazing.

16. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/14/2008 at 8:30 AM | Permalink

Lobster Recipes- Thanks for stopping in for a visit! This meal was great but after looking at your site I could go for some Lobsta now!