Three Day Chicken

We don’t know the right name for this chicken, I just know that it is good and worth the three days it takes to marinate. My cousin, Maryanne is a tremendous cook. She lives in Revere, MA on the same street as her parents and my other auntie and uncle. I have known Emmanuel Street and its people all my life. Saint Anthony’s bells toll daily and the most welcome ring is at five o’clock, when the aromas of cooking waft through the streets calling all the kids home for dinner. Maryanne just got me hooked on a little Italian paper called The Boston Post-Gazette. She has me reading John Christoforo’s column called Nanna and Babbononno and Vita’s Recipes from the Homeland. Some of these articles remind me of the stories my family told me about my own Italian grandparents. So if you are of the Italian heritage give these a read.

The cookouts that my Auntie Josie put on were ridiculous with food. She put it all out there. Salads, all kinds of meats, appetizers, vegetables, desserts including Italian pastries, and the good bread. Maryanne and her parents, Uncle Jimmy and Auntie Mary would come down with a pan of Maryanne’s famous chicken wings. These juicy wings are scrumptious and a big hit at all the cookouts.

I called her the other day to get the recipe because I remembered these wings and wanted some now! Then she told me she marinated them three days, I would have to wait. My hubby isn’t a big fan of wings as it is little meat and a lot of mess to eat, so I used boneless thighs which worked out just dandy. I have to warn you that these are good but my family likes this type of dish on the sweeter side and this is a more savory chicken. Next time I make this I will have to add a little brown sugar for their tastes. I will make mine separate! This is a very tender and flavorful chicken.

Three Day Chicken
3-4 pounds wings, drumettes, or thighs, whatever your mood
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, crushed
3 T. whisky, I used Jack Daniels
1 cup brown sugar if you like it on the sweeter side
few pinches fresh black pepper

In a large bowl mix the marinade and add chicken. Cover and let marinate for three days, stirring once per day. When ready to cook. Preheat oven to 425°. Line a pan with sides with foil and place chicken, discarding the marinade. Bake for 18 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 170°. I am finding that a thermometer is crucial in cooking meats as it helps me avoid over cooking. Serves 6-12 depending on the cut of chicken you used. This chicken works well on the grill!

Note- I am hooked on fried plantains ever since I have been getting the best Cuban chicken at a little place in Arlington called Caribbean Grill. They have the best of everything there. Cuban rice and beans, spinach, plantains, and fried yucca. The sauces are killer. It is cash only, so hit the ATM before visiting.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 07/08/2008 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

I have 10 pounds of wings in my freezer aching for a new recipe. Thanks!!

2. avatar [eatingclub] vancouver || js
    Posted 07/08/2008 at 11:34 AM | Permalink

Love the recipe! We’re firm believers in marinating, marinating, marinating too.

3. avatar That Girl
    Posted 07/08/2008 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I don’t mind the waiting, but I’m such a scatterbrain I always forget to marinade until about 3 seconds before I cook the meat! You would think menu planning would help, but I’m hopeless!

4. avatar I'm just the typist
    Posted 07/08/2008 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

I used to devour fried plantains at Bridgetown Grill in Atlanta. They serve theirs with a raspberry coulis, which is a nice addition. Once you try it, you’ll have a hard time eating them with anything else!

5. avatar Katie
    Posted 07/08/2008 at 7:14 PM | Permalink

Beautiful pictures! I love plantains, too, though I have no experience cooking with them. I actually bought one at the grocery store today to experiment with.

6. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/08/2008 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

eat!- 10 pounds of chicken. You are all set girl.

eatingclub-thanks for stopping in. Yup gotta have that marinade.

thatgirl- I do the same thing, so I often just pour the marinade in the meat as I am putting it away in the freezer. So it marinates while it is defrosting. I used to do menu plans but they got away from me.

typist- ooh raspberry coulis, that alone sounds heavenly.

Katie- Love your new blog, keep those recipes coming.

7. avatar Grace
    Posted 07/09/2008 at 4:54 AM | Permalink

oh boy, three days is asking a lot. such a commitment. :) it looks and sounds like it’s well worth the wait.

8. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 07/10/2008 at 9:17 PM | Permalink

Grace- it is very worth the wait.

9. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 6:03 PM | Permalink

Pat I like the marinade but don’t see the need for that temp. 325 tops.seems to be a fad of cooking with high temp. to seal in flavour or give crust ,low an slow only improves the marinade an will be just as crispy.

10. avatar WinterSundays
    Posted 01/27/2012 at 8:14 PM | Permalink

Great post! Do you use sweetened or unsweetened pineapple juice? Also, is the pineapple juice from a box or can? Making this for Super Bowl Sunday and want to get it right! :-)

11. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/27/2012 at 8:25 PM | Permalink

Winter Sundays- I used regular pineapple juice in the small cans. Dole sells it. Enjoy!!!

12. avatar Rosie
    Posted 05/04/2012 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin,

Is there a substitute for Jack Daniels? I hate to buy a bottle for such a small amount.

Best regards!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 05/04/2012 at 2:31 PM | Permalink

Hi Rosie,
      You can leave it out without hurting the flavor of the recipe, or buy tiny bottles like I do!
      Thanks,