Do You Build Dishes Around One Ingredient?

Idon’t really know what else to call this salad but Blueberry Salad. It was inspired by a salad we ate while on vacation. One night at Family Camp, we were served a salad of mixed greens, dried blueberries, and feta cheese in a vinaigrette dressing. We all raved at how those blueberries popped and made the salad so dynamite. I wanted to build a salad around dried blueberries as well but I wanted to use some different ingredients than I am used to using in salad. No tomatoes or cukes here. I wanted different textures and flavors as well as a bold salad dressing. So here is what I came up with and it is delicious and refreshing, bold and flavorful. I hope you enjoy this great way to eat wonderfully sweet dried blueberries.

Blueberry Salad
1 bag mixed baby salad greens
1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, rough chop
2 handfuls slivered almonds
3 stalks green onions, sliced
3 handfuls dried wild blueberries

Soyaki Orange Dressing:
1/3 cup Trader Joe’s Island Soyaki Sauce
3 T. orange marmalade
2 T. olive oil

For the dressing mix ingredients well until the marmalade is incorporated. If you do not have a Trader Joe’s nearby then you may try to substitue another type of teriyaki marinade and adjust recipe to taste. Toss the salad ingredients and dress salad. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

Did you know…that about 1 out of every 100 blog readers leave comments? I just read that on Problogger. I love the comments I get, in fact it’s what keeps me going. I do encourage you, no, I respectfully ask you to leave a comment on any of my posts. I am a very social person and I love engaging with my readers. I think those of you who have commented have added so much to my posts and most of the time I am learning from you! I do prefer clean comments free of naughty words though! So please comment to the following question:

What ingredient have you built an entire dish or meal around?

New to Commenting?- Click on the word “Comments” at the bottom of the post (story). Type your comment then click on “Select Profile.” Choose Anonymous if you do not have a Google Acount or any other account (you can make one too if you want). If you want, you can type your name in your comment if you choose Anonymous. Once you have completed your comment, click “Post Comment.” Very easy, no accounts, no passwords, right Ma? My mom comments using Anonymous all the time.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Hedonistin
    Posted 08/26/2008 at 7:22 AM | Permalink

If only my English were better, I would leave more comments here – I like your blog and your ideas.

To answer your question: That’s the way I normally cook – looking into the fridge … oh, XYZ must be urgently consumed, so what in addition would taste, harmonize, set a counterpoint or give that certain something? Of course that doesn’t work always as I hope. :-)

2. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 08/26/2008 at 7:40 AM | Permalink

What a great idea to put blueberries in a salad – I usually add my Craisins- but a fresh blueberry this time of year would be great!
    As far as cooking around food…
    Now that the produce is so yummy in the farmers markets – I definitely have conversations with myself “How can I use all this Zucchini”?

3. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 08/26/2008 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

I like the sound of this recipe. I will have to try it out. I am SO NOT creative. If I like something somewhere I will search the internet for a similar sounding recipe. I like trying different things but can’t come up with it on my own.

4. avatar Tanya
    Posted 08/26/2008 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

Recently I was craving some sort of corn salad to make for a barbecue, so I based an entire side dish on corn. For desserts I will usually have a certain flavor in mind and build on that.

By the way, I’m not surprised by that statistic (1 out of 100 comment on a post). How about this–one of my posts received a few hundred hits a couple of days ago. TWO comments. Comments are a bloggers bread and butter!

5. avatar scottnjoyce
    Posted 08/26/2008 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

Robin,
    I have been doing fresh blueberries, but hadn’t even thought about the dried blueberries. Sounds yummy.
    I have to admit your strawberry poppyseed drsg is my absolute favorite salad dressing the whole world. I can now eat a whole big plate of baby spinach, and actually enjoy it!
    Thanks for inspiring all of us!
    Joyce

6. avatar Beth
    Posted 08/26/2008 at 11:06 PM | Permalink

I love to make salads around pears. I love them tossed w/a champaign vinaigrette. Topped w/some blue cheese and maybe a little bacon. Yummy. Dried blueberries are also a nice touch.

I’m glad that you like when we post. I love to hear back from you, too.

7. avatar Grace
    Posted 08/27/2008 at 3:39 AM | Permalink

that dressing sounds insanely delicious! awesome salad, robin.

and i’ve been known to make a dish or two revolving around cinnamon. :) other than that, i usually make something with the produce that’s nearing the end of its days.

8. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 08/27/2008 at 10:27 AM | Permalink

Hedonistin-Many thanks for commenting! I have to use the google translater to read your posts which helps alot but I do as much as I can without it. Loved the last Mango soup you made!

Rindy- Yup it is time to use up all those zuc’s! I like it in chocolate cake!!

Sabrina- Yes you are creative! Love your supper clubs!

Tanya- I love corn salads. Would like to hear what you came up with. Loving your blog! We should make a bumper sticker. Bloggers work for comments!!

Joyce- Hey girl thanks for stopping in!! I think if I surround myself with creative folks like you, I will absorb some of their creativity!!

Beth- Ooh loving the pear salad!! I really like the combos of flavor. I do live by comments!! Thanks for stopping in.

Grace- Yup you are the Cinnamon Girl!! Love those recipes. Thanks!!

9. avatar Kristen
    Posted 08/27/2008 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

I’m getting ready to build a dessert around some chocolate covered peanuts that I need to use up :)

10. avatar Cindy and Co.
    Posted 08/27/2008 at 8:21 PM | Permalink

I am wandering aimlessly from Pioneer Woman and I LOVE your site. I am so going to try blueberries in salad. I am much like the first poster I usually find what ever needs to be used and from there.

11. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 08/27/2008 at 9:30 PM | Permalink

Kristen- dying to see what you come up with. Hmm you are making ice cream today too. Do I hear Tin Roof.

Cindy and Co.- Thanks for loving my site. It feels good to hear others love it too other than my mom!!

12. avatar That Girl
    Posted 08/27/2008 at 11:19 PM | Permalink

I usually base meals off of a single ingredient, like ripe tomatoes, sweet strawberries, or even a bunch of mushrooms about to go bad ;-)

13. avatar DelKee
    Posted 08/29/2008 at 9:46 PM | Permalink

My husband hates that I clean out the fridge every 3-5 days. Old produce and random leftovers don’t last long at my house. I plan meals around whatever is about to get thrown out or has been sitting in the pantry way too long. I have a pork loin in the freezer, so I guess that’ll find it’s way into a dinner or two next week.

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 08/29/2008 at 10:12 PM | Permalink

ThatGirl- Yup got to use up the goods so we don’t waste!

DelKee- Thanks for stopping in and commenting! We have those clean out nights, we call them CORN: Clean Out Refrigerater Night!

15. avatar Anonymous