Ma’s Ravioli With Ham and Peas

Again, I have been asked to post and I find it an honor. I will begin with another story about Robin. When she was little and when she got older, the minute her father came through the door, she would announce everything that happened that day. So when Robin had just graduated from college, we all went to a “resort” in the Pocono’s (that’s a whole other story-let’s put it this way it looked good in the brochure).

One day we all went golfing; my husband and Rob went to play 18 holes and Robin and I went to play a par 3 course. My husband told me it was like playing miniature golf. Ya, right. He leaves us and we have no golf clubs or golf balls. Someone said that if we let them go first, they would give us some and so we did. Anyway, I couldn’t hit the golf ball very far and there was another course that adjoined ours. There was a group of men playing that adjoining course and one of those guys was watching me struggle. I said to him, “Just don’t stand there, help me!” So he came over and helped me and was showing me how to stand. He told me to squat. I was still not getting his instructions. How embarrassing, I sat down on the ground! He said, “No not that way,” and went to show me how and accidentally touched my bum! He got so embarrassed and put his hands in the air and started to shout and apologize saying, “I’m a married man, I’m a married man!” After he slithered away, Robin and I had a great laugh and continued struggling with the game. We finally got rained out and needed to meet my husband back at the car. We got there first and as my husband was approaching the car, the first thing out of Robin’s mouth was, “Dad, Ma got felt up!” She is still good with words. Twenty plus years have gone by and we still tell this story because we have found it to be so amusing. Hope you enjoyed it.

Now for my recipe. I had everyone over Sunday night. We try as a family as much as possible to get together on Sunday nights- either my house, Tonya’s or Robin’s. And sometimes we order out but most of the time, our menu is whoever has leftovers or feels like cooking. The hostess’ house may not be the one providing the food. We have done this for maybe 10 years now. I decided to cook. I made Ravioli with Ham & Peas, bought two rotisseried chickens at Costco’s, made a fresh tomato salad, and Italian bread. Robin brought a dessert and Tonya & Rob brought a green salad with avocado and strawberries with a poppy seed dressing.

Ma’s Ravioli with Ham and Peas
1 1/2 T. butter or olive oil (I used both)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 t. garlic, minced
1/4 c. chicken broth (I used abt. 1/2 c.)
1 c. frozen baby peas
1 c. heavy or whipping cream (I used abt. 1 1/2 c.)
1/4 t, black pepper
1 lb ravioli or tortellini (I used abt. 1 1/2 lbs)
2-3 ounces ham, julienned
1 T, finely chopped fresh parsley

Bring 4 quarts water to boil. Meanwhile, melt butter or heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook a minute and then add garlic and cook another minute or 2 til onion is translucent. Add chicken broth and cook 2 mins. Add cream and pepper. Bring sauce to boil, about 5 minutes, simmer, stirring occasionally. Add ham and peas. Meanwhile cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Put some sauce in your serving bowl, add ravioli, and top with more sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. I put just add enough sauce on ravioli so they won’t stick and put the rest of sauce in gravy bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Makes 4 plus servings if you add the extra ravioli.

Ma’s Extra Tips- You can serve this dish as a main course, a side or as a first course or appetizer. If using as a first course or appetizer, just serve 2-3 ravioli. When you buy ravioli, make sure you buy a brand that says to cook 3-5 minutes, not a brand that says 12-15 minutes. I find these to be tough. Make sure you add the peas at the very end and if you double the recipe, do not add extra peas. Peas tend to make the sauce get stronger. One more thing, the original recipe called for VA ham. I purchased a ham steak and used it. It may also go well with Pancetta. But I’ll stick with julienning the ham steak. Hope you enjoy it. It only takes about 20 minutes to prepare. So easy.

Ma

Editor’s Note-Thanks Ma for posting for me again and the memories too. That Pocono trip went down in the history books for our family. We laugh hysterically when we mention the Poconos. I have dubbed that “resort” the Cinder Block Palace. The brochure was a lie. The only thing good about the place was the food, it was fantastic. This place was visited year after year by the same families who have become fossilized into the cinder blocks by now. The pool was one of those old cement pools of the 1960′s. The funniest thing about the place was their band. “The Harley Parkenfarker Band.” I do not lie! We threw them a bone one night and danced away to their disco tunes (it was 1990 at the time). But when it came time for us to leave they begged us to stay as we were the only ones who would dance to their music. After a while we had to make our own fun, so my Dad thought it would be a good idea to ride a bike while sitting on the handle bars. He went flying into the bushes end over end. We all gasped but then he came up in his famous Mary Lou Retton “Perfect 10″ pose, arms in the air and everything. Everyone applauded.

Isn’t Ma the BEST!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 8:21 AM | Permalink

Ma, I think I will try this one on my family. Anything I can make in 20min. is a good one for me. Do you get the ravioli at Costco too?

2. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Yes, they are delicious. We only like the ones with cheese. When ravioli float to the top, they are done. Ma

3. avatar Tanya
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 11:25 AM | Permalink

I love your Ma’s posts! They are very entertaining and so much fun to read. Maybe Ma should have her own blog?

4. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

Tanya – Thank you for enjoying the post but I am really not ready to blog on my own. Ma

5. avatar redforever
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

Oh my, what a family you have, and what memories you have as a family. Truly precious to hear these stories.

And the recipes are pretty good too:)))

6. avatar redforever
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

Oh Robin, I forgot to add, that if you have inherited any genes at all from your mother (and I do see a big resemblance), then I think you are going to age very well.

7. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 3:31 PM | Permalink

redforever – we do have a lot of precious memories because I think my husband and I have quite a sense of humor.
    Aging always helps with a little haircolor. ha! Ma

8. avatar Lisa
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 4:36 PM | Permalink

Your Mom is great! Love the ravioli recipe!

9. avatar redforever
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

Well anonymous, hair color can only do so much. Your skin tone is beautiful and so is your smile.

10. avatar Laura
    Posted 09/02/2008 at 11:11 PM | Permalink

Another great post–what a hoot!

Is that Polish pottery I see? I love that stuff….

11. avatar Kate
    Posted 09/03/2008 at 1:46 AM | Permalink

What a hoot! I love the cinder block palace story. Those places are REALLY hit and miss. I write travel review articles and market hotels and inns in that area as a sideline, and I have to confess, anytime I get a glowing review or a request to market a hotel in that area, I have to research up the wazoo and try and find REAL photographs. I simply cannot rely on brochures with heart shaped tubs. I need the real dirt and that is sometimes hard to find. Thank heavens for Google Earth sometimes, I can zoom in and see what’s really going on at some of these “wonderlands.”

12. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/03/2008 at 7:24 AM | Permalink

Lisa – I have used this recipe for over 20 years and with the leftover sauce, it makes an excellent base for potato soup. Ma

13. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/03/2008 at 7:25 AM | Permalink

redforever – Thank you for those kind words. Ma

14. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/03/2008 at 7:27 AM | Permalink

Kate – Yes, the brochure looked really nice and they did have everything that was in the brochure but it had not been repaired since probably the 50′s. Our curtains were ripped and just hanging. The thing of it was was that it was such a beautiful location. We just made the best of it. Ma

15. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/03/2008 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

Laura – I forgot to answer your question. Yes, it is Polish pottery that Robin & Rob gave me one year for X-Mas. Robin purchased it while visiting Poland. Ma

16. avatar Nicole
    Posted 09/08/2008 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Welcome Red Kitchen “Ma”! Funny post! Sounds like you have a lot of good family memories and funny ones too. Your raviolis look great.