Pancake Squares take the GOLD

Well the results are in! In the Savory Division of the Big Red Kitchen’s Summer Olympics, Pancake Squares take the Gold. Thank you to everyone who voted making this another great BRK contest. I have had so many comments about these squares and not just on the comment’s page. I have had people tell me to my face how great these are. You know the funny thing about it, I thought it was a dumb recipe to post. Who the heck would make these silly things, so basic and simple. I got the recipe from I don’t even know where, it has lived in my recipe box for years, and I do make it often but never enough. But I posted it anyway and found that most are just like me. You like the simple things in life too. I love the versatility of these squares and have even frozen them for the kid’s breakfast on the fly.

Have you made them yet? Did you add any fun ingredients, like nuts, chocolate chips, or fruit. If so let us know.

Taking Silver…

Company Pork Tenderloin or “Hot and Sweet Pork” By Rindy. This recipe has never failed me and presents perfectly to company every time. I even took this to a potluck. I sliced it and served it over a bed of jasmine rice with the sauce poured over top. I came home empty-handed. Thank you Rindy!

The Bronze Medal goes to…

Dig Deep. This is an absolutely delicious and beautiful salad. It is also versatile. Add what you like and minus what you don’t. The dressing is heavenly. This can be made individually or layered in a large glass trifle bowl. I like to serve this with chili, soup, or any other one dish main meal. It adds so much color.

Next Month… BRK’s Sweets Division Olympics

****Check out September’s Blogs of the Month: not all of them are foodie this time. On the Inside Looking Back is a memoir by Pat, Kristen of Dine and Dish’s Mom. Graham’s Travel Blog has some helpful travel tips and he really cracks me up.****

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 09/15/2008 at 7:16 AM | Permalink

I made the pancake squares – what a great and quick recipe. But I think I’ll have to at least double it next time. Too many mouths vying for my pancake squares.

2. avatar Tanya
    Posted 09/15/2008 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

It’s true – sometimes the most simple of recipes are the best. Not everyone can make elaborate dinners and desserts. When you post a recipe like this, it helps connect to those who enjoy something simple and tasty. Plus, it’s a great recipe to build upon and add other flavors!

3. avatar Veronica
    Posted 09/15/2008 at 12:46 PM | Permalink

Now I just have to try those pancake squares. What a great idea.

4. avatar Alexa
    Posted 09/15/2008 at 9:24 PM | Permalink

I love simple and family friendly meals. I bet my kids would love those yummy pancake squares.
    I love the pictures you’ve posted… Especially, that stunning salad.

5. avatar That Girl
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 12:26 AM | Permalink

I’m glad I didn’t put money on this!

6. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Eat! Yes we double it too!

Tanya- Yup I love a simple meal that looks like it was hard. Like crepes, so simple and inexpensive and look at all we can do with them.

Veronica- Bake away!

Alexa- Thanks, the kids do like these and they are filling as well. I wonder if there is a wheat free way to make them? Do you give photography lessons, yours is wonderful.

ThatGirl- Can never bet on food, but never say never!