USC Football and the Best Jalapeño & Beer Queso

Himself is a big, no, HUGE USC Football fan. USC is his alma mater. We have a USC vanity plate on each car, one being SC TROJN, causing one of my friends to ask me why I was promoting condoms. Great now I drive the condom mobile. I also find other drivers flashing me the peace sign. My husband grins and informs me that it is the Trojan “V” for victory sign. I can’t repeat what those UCLA, Longhorn, and Wazzo fans flash me. I don’t get all the hype as I went to a rinky dink college in PA and our biggest game was the Pretzel Bowl because there was a pretzel factory right down the street and it’s a Pennsylvania Dutch thing, I guess. So Himself has us doning our USC shirts, cheering for his favorite team of all time, and jumping around like crazy every time they score, which is a lot. They rarely lose and Himself has handled their eight defeats in the last eight years with grace.

SC was playing a big rival team last Saturday, Ohio State, and with tickets selling for $400 a piece we decided to sit this one out. But who’s to say we can’t have fun at home and given the right menu, everyone is happy. We wanted fun football food and I figured the best thing was a Make Your Own Nacho Bar. Everyone gets just what he or she likes.

I think the Queso was the biggest hit of the night besides Mark Sanchez. Maybe I should have called it Sanchez Queso. The flavor combination is fabulous. This recipe cooks up creamy, just don’t let it boil or it will separate. Try this in two weeks when USC plays…beats Oregon State.

I served the following on our Nacho Bar:

Jalapeño & Beer Queso
8 ounces jalapeño jack cheese, grated
8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, grated
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 cup good beer, I used a lager
1 tsp. mustard powder

In a large bowl, toss the cheeses with flour until coated. In a medium saucepan, heat beer on medium heat until just starting to simmer. Slowly add the cheeses in small handfuls at a time while whisking constantly. Lower heat to low and whisk in mustard powder. Mix well and transfer to a fondue pot or a bowl on a hot plate. Serves 6-8.
Note- I used fresh cheese in which I grated myself. I cannot tell you what packaged grated cheese will do.

What’s your favorite football food?

Have you subscribed to Big Red Kitchen? Great recipes in here!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to Pageflakes

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 7:04 AM | Permalink

We are huge football fans in our house. But I am a Big Ten fan so hopefully we will be meeting in the Rose Bowl. I love all the food associated with tailgating and football. The nacho bar is a great idea.

2. avatar sporkboy
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

I’m a big fan of football watching food but I couldn’t care less about football. I make a mean bean dip but I also love to make buffalo wings and spicy chicken fingers. I guess the bean dip tops it though.

Thanks for the heads up on the Trojans playing the Beavers, I’ll be in Corvallis (home of Oregon State) that day and I’ll wear my USC aloha shirt.

3. avatar sarah j. gim
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 12:13 PM | Permalink

i *wish* one of the TS guidelines was that we were allowed to pass on submissions from rival football teams, especially after my heart was broken on saturday, but alas…

(btw, LOVE nachos. LOVE.)

4. avatar Tanya
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 1:27 PM | Permalink

Haha! At least your license plate could be promoting safe sex!

We are not football watchers in this house, so I can’t say we have a favorite football food. My husband would rather watch sci-fi shows than a football game!

5. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 3:38 PM | Permalink

We have tons of SC fans around here… lots of the guys in our neighborhood graduated from USC, prompting all kinds of fun comradery.

That queso dip looks great. I have a Pizza Dip that is fabulous football fare, and I’m fond of making chili/cornbread or pulled pork sandwiches too.

6. avatar Nicole
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 7:10 PM | Permalink

Sounds like a fun party! My sister and her husband are USC alums and therefore VERY into the games. Likewise my parents got into it too.

Favorite football food? I like it all probably. Love the food…. not into watching the game though. I am such a girly girl and bored with sports. I guess that’s why I play food blogger!

I made a buffalo chicken dip for a party last year and it was a huuuuugggge hit! I need to make it again and post about it.

7. avatar Laura
    Posted 09/16/2008 at 7:23 PM | Permalink

I think football food must be a lot better in households where the football fan and the cook are not one and the same. ;) I usually make chili since I can make it the night before and be left alone to watch my football! Your bar looks fantastic–you can come cater my Michigan games anytime you want!

Yes I am a Michigan grad and my Saturday was much sadder than yours. Especially since I am a Big Ten fan as well and was definitely rooting for Ohio State. :)

8. avatar That Girl
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

I am currently rethinking our blog friendship. The only thing keeping me from calling it off entirely is that whole “dinky school in Pennsylvania” thing since I grew up in a dinky town in Pennsylvania held together by a dinky school!

9. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 7:27 AM | Permalink

Eat!- Big Ten, my hubby has been tring to fill me in on all these terms. See you at the Rose Bowl.

Sporkboy- You will have to post your bean dip sometime! Do wear that USC shirt. Did you do there?

Sarah- At least we have a common love of Nachos.

Tanya- I mostly cook and he watches. Now sci-fi could be fun!

RecipeGirl- I will have to check out that pizza dip. Sounds perfect for football.

Nicole- I love that Buffalo Chicken dip. It has made it our way too and is always a big hit. Love the flavors.

Laura- Michigan!! Do we play eachother? I’ll have to check. Much better to separate the cheering and the cooking. Love Chili!

ThatGirl- So glad you have not givin me the heave ho yet. Are you a Cal or UCLA fan? I loved my college and had no idea about the BIG schools out there and how crazy they are for their football. My little games were good enough. Went to Albright in Reading. What little town were you from?

10. avatar Alexa
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

What a fun spread to serve at any party! We are not big on football in our family but we are big on any excuse for entertaining and spending time with friends.

How funny about your license plates… :-)

11. avatar Lisa
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 10:09 AM | Permalink

The football, I could take it or leave it, but I do love queso dip! Also 7 Layer Dip, those spicy chicken wings…all of the usual suspects.

12. avatar Hillary
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

What a great idea for football game watching food! I think I might try and make something like this for my next game watching gathering, especially that jalapeno beer queso…what more could a guy want?

13. avatar Laura
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 7:22 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue–we have played in the past (to Michigan’s detriment in recent years I am afraid) but not this season (thank goodness). We are, uh, re-building. ;)

14. avatar Sara
    Posted 09/17/2008 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

Your nachos look great, I have two cousins that are USC alums, they sent me pictures from the game!

15. avatar dobetter
    Posted 09/18/2008 at 12:01 AM | Permalink

Great looking nachos! That first photo is excellent.

16. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 09/18/2008 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

Ahem…the term is Wazzu thank you very much. Alas, I feel we are in a rebuilding year as well. I’ll order the Cougar Gold cheese now so you can have it before the game. Love ya Sis.

17. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 09/18/2008 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

Alexa- I think the entertaining is more important than the football too, but don’t tell Himself.

Lisa- I am with you, love party food.

Hillary- This was very easy to throw together and makes everyone happy.

Laura- Rebuilding is good! Have a great season and see you in the future. I don’t really care who wins, it is about the food for me!!!

Sara- Thanks, those alums must be very lucky to get into one of those games, my dream is to go to the Rose Parade and Bowl.

DoBetter- Thanks! Loving all the cookies you have been baking up.

Ellen- Tee Hee a Freudian slip I guess. Love that Cougar Gold!

18. avatar Tartelette
    Posted 09/20/2008 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

USc is also my husband’s Alma Mater…not that he is a huge follower of football but when they play big games, we have to watch. I am sure he would love these to go with the game!!

19. avatar Erin
    Posted 09/20/2008 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

I love the idea of a nacho bar! What a great way to keep everyone happy (and a great excuse to use your cute serving dish). I imagine your house has some fantastic game day food!

20. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 09/21/2008 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

Tartelette- Poor you! You have to put with the same craziness I do! Thanks for stopping by.

Erin- Welcome to BRK! We eat well sometimes, and sometimes it’s popcorn!

21. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 12/04/2009 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

Where did you get your sectional serving platter in the photo? I LOVE it!

22. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/04/2009 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Anon- costco about 3 years ago!