Baked Corn Dogs

Who doesn’t like a good corn dog? Just don’t read the label right? We love corn dogs in our family and to see them at the fair all golden on a stick. Weee! But oh the fat and chemicals involved with making them taste so good is enough to scare me more than the Halloween decorations that are out this time of year. So I came up with the home baked from scratch version and they are pretty good. Nothing like the stick kind but with this version I can control the hot dog brand- I like the uncured kind, and know that this from scratch version has no preservatives.

Baked Corn Dogs
3 cups yellow self-rising corn meal mix
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar

11 hot dogs- odd number, I know!

Preheat oven to 425°. In a stand mixer, mix all of the ingredients together leaving out the hot dogs of course! Once the mix is smooth, pour into a very greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Place the hot dogs in the batter according to the picture (I only had 10 hot dogs). Bake for 22-25 minutes or until corn bread is cooked through. Let cool slightly, then with a sharp knife cut around each hot dog insuring each dog is surrounded by corn bread. Serve with favorite condiments. Makes 11 Corn Dogs.

Now wouldn’t this be great topped with chili, cheese, and sweet onions? YUM!

Another great and easy peasy sandwich is Mini Ham and Cheese Rolls!

A Constant Source of Entertainment: Funny Faces

The other day in Target my kids were making these faces in the big mirror by the check out. They were having a good ole time with their crazy shenanigans all the while laughing and pressing their goofy little faces on to the glass. After I paid, I caught on to their mischief and about laughed my liver off.
“Um kids, that’s a two way mirror,” I informed them.
“What’s that?” they all asked.
“There are people behind there who can see you but you can’t see them, go on and wave to them.” I directed.
They waved and the invisible person behind the mirror shone a flashlight through the glass so the kids could see them. I left with three very embarrassed and mortified kids, while I basked in their humiliation. Kids.

PS- I went to Target the very next day and their little face smudges were still there. Sniffle.

Tomorrow in Big Red Kitchen- Teriyaki Turkey Sliders, excellent, excellent, excellent. Did I say they were excellent?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 9:19 AM | Permalink

This is going on my menu sometime this week No Thank You Boy thanks you in advance!!!

2. avatar Lisa
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

I love this version! Look at those cute precious faces1

3. avatar Lucy
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

What a wonderful idea and leaves you w/all the control, love it!!! Funny faces, they’re so cute!!

4. avatar Tanya
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 1:09 PM | Permalink

I love corn dogs, but yes, they aren’t the healthiest. I usually only eat them when we attend festivals. They remind me of being a kid again.

When I was little, I’m pretty sure I did the same thing with the two way mirror at Target. That’s so cute!

5. avatar Veronica
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

That is the coolest method of corndogs I have ever seen!

I’ve tagged you over on my blog with an award and meme!

6. avatar Kristen
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 3:49 PM | Permalink

LOL – cracking up at your story about your kiddos. Too hilarious!

I love the idea of baked corn dogs. My kids would totally dig these!

7. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 6:19 PM | Permalink

Eat!- I hope No Thank You Boy loves them!

Lisa- I would love chili on these too, with a pile of cheese and onions of course!

Lucy- Thanks for saying my kids are cute- I get a kick of of them most of the time. Then I have days I want to kick myself for ever having kids- I guess we all have days like those!!

Tanya- I always thought two way mirrors were cool! I love corn dogs from the festival, but man are they ever salty!

Veronica- Thanks these did turn out pretty cool and not as sweet as the regular ones. Thanks for the tag and award!!

Kristen- My kids liked these, my oldest found them filling and he likes the junkie ones the best- which we all have secretly loved! Yup my kids crack me up sometimes! Thanks for the comment hope you get you mojo soon, but I think you are doing great on your blog. Your writing is beautiful and especially touching today.

8. avatar grahamstravelblog
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

OK, you asked the question and I’ll answer. I don’t like corn dogs. There. I said it. It’s something about the hotdog texture I think because I love deep fried things and food on sticks. Cheese on a stick is something I can’t get enough of though.

9. avatar Lori
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 7:47 PM | Permalink

teriyaki turkey sliders, wow, must come back for that!

The kids are cute with their goofy faces. I think that is so funny that the person shined a light. That is hysterical.

10. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 7:49 PM | Permalink

graham!- You are so funny! Ok I’ll let you off the hook on this one, you are forgiven for not liking them. I like them but the lack of nutritional value scares me! How is Boston going, its nice that there is no rain right now, I hear the weather is beautiful and the leaves only peaked last week. Been to Mike’s yet?

11. avatar grahamstravelblog
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 8:01 PM | Permalink

I haven’s seen much evidence of leaves peaking but it is nice weather (though some clouds would be nice). It gets a bit chilly as soon as that sun sets. I did take a really interesting picture in the men’s room but you’ll have to wait for that.

12. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 8:20 PM | Permalink

Lori- Pop in tomorrow for some tasty sliders!!

Graham- Umm-hmm interesting picture in the men’s room? I’m speechless….I can only imagine another one of your crazy travel stories for sure. I got an interesting pic while there too, but it was in front of the Kitchen store- A guy out in the open smoking pot. Ok I totally embarrassed my cousin by taking his picture. I need to get out more if that really shocks me!

13. avatar noble pig
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 8:24 PM | Permalink

OMG this is the best idea ever! I love it and am making it!

14. avatar _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 11:23 PM | Permalink

What a great idea!!! Frying is also a detriment to fruition of a dish. Baked corn dogs. Wow.

15. avatar That Girl
    Posted 10/28/2008 at 12:54 AM | Permalink

I love the idea of healthier corn dogs.

16. avatar Grace
    Posted 10/28/2008 at 7:40 AM | Permalink

that picture is a definite keeper–what a hoot! :)
    also a keeper? this recipe! i haven’t had a corn dog in ages, and these sound terrific.

17. avatar Nichole, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posted 10/28/2008 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

I don’t eat meat – so I have never had a corn dog- also in Eastern Canada they aren’t really a big thing. I’ve never actually seen anybody eat one before, hah! I went to Maine once and at a restaurant we ate at they had but corn bread muffins on the table. None of us had ever had corn bread before so we were all a little suspicious! But they were sooo good. That was 5 years ago and I have been thinking about corn bread ever since! But have never really seen it in stores here to try again…you can buy cornmeal of course,,,but I have been to lazy to actually try making them myself. I think I’m defiantly going to try your recipe…except with vegi-dogs of course! Thanks for the inspiration!

18. avatar Dawn
    Posted 10/28/2008 at 4:20 PM | Permalink

I am making this for sure for my fussy hubby who only eats pizza or burgers while I crave to cook gourmet.
    Awesome idea!

19. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/28/2008 at 7:21 PM | Permalink

Noble Pig- Your boys may love this!

ts- Thanks hope you like them!

That Girl- Now if we could make a healthier hot fudge sundae!

Grace- The kids are a hoot! Make this recipe soon!

Nichole- Hope you like the recipe and thanks for stopping by. Come back again sometime!

Dawn- Make him this gourmet version of corn dogs, maybe he would like them with chili on top too! Thanks for visiting!

20. avatar PaniniKathy
    Posted 10/29/2008 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! I love corn dogs, but only get them once a year at the county fair. Love the idea of actually knowing what’s inside! :-)

21. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 11/05/2008 at 2:34 PM | Permalink

We love corn dogs – especially at theme parks!! this looks like a great lower fat version to have right at home!

22. avatar lindsey
    Posted 11/10/2008 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

hi, i made these last night & they were great – definitely going to become a part of the regular rotation. thanks for the recipe!

23. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 8:15 AM | Permalink

panini- Make a panini from this one!

HoneyB- It is a bit lower fat for sure!

Lindsey- I am so happy you liked these. Thanks for coming back and letting me know!

24. avatar dobetter
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

Fantastic idea! Thanks for posting this one.

25. avatar Sydney
    Posted 11/13/2008 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

I’m about to make these, but I couldn’t find self-rising corn meal mix. What is it? I bought yellow corn meal, but I also bought some corn bread mix just in case. What brand do you use for the self-rising stuff? I looked in 2 grocery stores and couldn’t find it! Thanks.