Economy Buster! How To Make Your Own Gourmet Caramel Apple Kit

Come this time of year I find that there are so many parties and events to attend, many of them requiring a gift to exchange. There are hostess gifts to buy, teacher gifts, friend’s gifts, gifts for the office staff, then the children come home with a note for more gifts to exchange with classmates, it can be overwhelming and expensive. I remember one particular year when the money was tight and I wondered how I was going to get by (I still ponder that every year!) as invitation after invitation rolled in. I needed to homebake or homemake as many things as possible to get by. So I came up with Caramel Apple Kits. These little kits saved the day! Everyone that received one really enjoyed making the caramel apples with their family or friends. Some made a night of it and played fun music and served hot cider.

What You Will Need To Make Your Own Gourmet Caramel Apple Kit:

One new 1 gallon paint can with lid and key
One package Caramel Apple Wraps- I found mine at Wegman’s or click on the link. I believe Wal-Mart carries them as well.
6 cellophane bags with ties
1 pound milk chocolate candy coating- if there is excess I’m sure folks will figure out what to do with it!
1/2 cup white chocolate candy coating
1- 3 x 5 inch ziptop bag- I use the bead bags from Michael’s
Raffia or Ribbon
Caramel Apple Kit Instructions
Caramel Apple Kit Lid Label

To Assemble your kit, place the milk chocolate disks in one of the cellophane bags and using the twistie tie, tie shut. Place the white chocolate disks in the 3 x 5 ziptop bag. Print out the Caramel Apple Kit Instructions and the Caramel Apple Lid label. Cut the Instruction sheet in two: I gave you two on one page just in case you choose to make more kits. Cut out and tape the label on to the lid.

Fill the paint can with all of the items. The Caramel Apple Wraps are slightly flexible so they will go in just fine. Tie the key on to the handle of the can, press lid on and deliver to a happy recipient!

I’m sure you will let your imagination run wild with this idea. You may also jazz it up a bit by placing pretty tissue paper inside the can or offer a small baggie of Fall-time sprinkles to sprinkle over the apples before they set. You may want to place a pretty tag on the handle or paint the can. Go for it!

This kit will make 5 Gourmet Caramel Apples. Not only do they make great gifts but they are great for Bunco prizes, girls night out (in!), children parties, and whatever you can think of.

Estimated Cost: Under $10.00 per kit depending on whether you buy your items in bulk.

Happy Birthday Dad!!
Happy Birthday Deven-from-heaven-who’s-seven-plus-one-is-eight-and-great-and-now-my-little-boy-is-NINE!!

Have a Happy and Safe All Saints Day Everyone!

Hope you have enjoyed this post. If you did, please pass it on to your friends, Stumble it, or make one for yourself and let me know how it went!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 7:24 AM | Permalink

You clever person! What a fun gift!

2. avatar EAT!
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 7:32 AM | Permalink

Martha has nothng on you! I will anxiously be waiting to see what I will be making as hostess gifts for the holiday season. Thanks in advance!!!!

3. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

I love your use of the paint can – it is so unique and chic!
    Happy Halloween!

4. avatar Lisa
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 8:55 AM | Permalink

This is such an AWESOME idea. I am bookmarking this. Do you buy paint cans at the hardware store or a Home Depot?

5. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 10:22 AM | Permalink

Lisa- Sometimes Lowe’s and Home Depot have cans but do call ahead. I went to three stores before finally going to a paint store, then the guy gave them to me for free! Try Wal-Mart too.

6. avatar Karen
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 12:29 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! Amazing how a plain old paint can can look so elegant!

7. avatar Julia
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 3:46 PM | Permalink

This is such a great idea! I’m already thinking of how to vary it for different holidays. Thanks for the economic tip.

8. avatar Shannalee
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 8:43 PM | Permalink

Wow, you are so creative! This looks just as impressive as something you’d buy a Williams Sonoma (and pay much more for).

9. avatar Lori
    Posted 10/31/2008 at 9:27 PM | Permalink

Great idea. I think there will be a run on paint cans. I am going to pick some up tomorrow. Fabulous idea for a multitude of things.

And yeah it does look like something from William Sonoma.

10. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/01/2008 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

Joan- Thanks for saying I’m clever! Now if I could just be mature!

Eat! If you make these let me know how it goes!

Rindy- Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Karen- This paint can does clean up nicely doesn’t it!

Julia- Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the idea and yes it is very versitile!

Shannalee- Wow like WS now that is a compliment! Thanks so much!

Lori- There will be a run on paint cans for sure so get your now! Thanks for saying it looks WS too!

11. avatar That Girl
    Posted 11/01/2008 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

What a cute idea!

12. avatar Pollyanna
    Posted 11/01/2008 at 6:59 PM | Permalink

Found you through TasteSpotting today. I love your blog. I’ve gotta come back for more inspiration later. Thanks!

13. avatar noble pig
    Posted 11/01/2008 at 9:38 PM | Permalink

This is awesome, just adorable but the cans mystify me. You said Walmart, Lowe's & Home Depot…I have never seen the key concept…ever. I'll have to check it out and how do you make your stickers?

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/02/2008 at 8:59 AM | Permalink

That Girl- Thank you!

Pollyanna- Glad you found me and come back often!

noble pig- The cans and keys (the little thing that opens the can, usually given for free when you buy paint) can be found where paint is sold. You may want to call ahead as they sell out fast. The stickers are a download, just click the link up top where it says Caramel Apple Lid Label that will take you to the pdf for down-loading! Have fun with this!

15. avatar Alexa
    Posted 11/02/2008 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

What a sweet gift! I love the concept.:-)

16. avatar nicisme
    Posted 11/02/2008 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

Great idea, you clever thing!

17. avatar jancd
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 12:59 AM | Permalink

This is off the subject, but I made your Jalepeno Poppers dip tonight for my family and they loved it. I halved it since there were only six for dinner, but my son-in-law tried it as a snack, then ate some more with dinner. Thanks for the recipe. Jancd

18. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 8:27 AM | Permalink

Alexa- Thanks!

Nic- Thank you!

jancd- So happy everyone liked the dip. It is so easy and delicious. Thanks for commenting!

19. avatar Nicole
    Posted 11/05/2008 at 11:27 AM | Permalink

I think this is THE cutest gift ever! I sooooo want to make one for a gift. Thanks for the idea.