Jalapeño Popper Dip

That’s right, you heard it here- Jalapeño Popper Dip! I love jalapeño poppers and have even tried to make them, which didn’t turn out as well as their purchased cousin and were pretty labor intensive. The word labor makes me run the other way. Have you ever made poppers before? Dealing with jalapeños is quite an undertaking as one has to be very careful not to burn their hands or rub their eyes during the process. And frying at home can be messy sometimes. So when I found this Jalapeño Popper Spread on allrecipes.com I was trilled some one had figured out how to deconstruct these little gems and turn it into a dip. I read through some of the reviews and suggestions and developed my own version of the original recipe.

Just look at that thick layer of prebaked crust.

I took this appetizer to a neighborhood gathering last Saturday and everyone really liked it- a lot. They thought it had just enough kick and agreed that if there weren’t kids eating it too, that I could have easily added a bit more jalapeño. Can you say new dip sensation? Buffalo chicken Wing Dip it was nice knowin’ ya. This is the new It in town. Go ahead and file this one because the holidays and the Super Bowl are right around the corner, you won’t be disappointed and I think you and your friends will agree that this tastes just like the real Jalapeño Poppers.

Look at that beautiful golden crust atop a bubbly creamy and flavorful base.

Jalapeño Popper Dip
2- 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temp
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1- 4 ounce can sliced jalapeños- double if you like heat

1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 stick butter, melted

In a food processor add the first 6 ingredients and process until smooth. You do not need to drain either can of peppers. Spread the dip into a greased 2 quart casserole. In a bowl mix bread crumbs and the other 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Pour melted butter over top crumb mixture and mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the dip and bake in a 375° oven for about 20 minutes. You want the top to get browned and the dip to be heated through and bubble gently on the edges. Do not over heat this dish or the mayonnaise with separate and you will have a grease puddle in your dip. Serve with Buttery crackers or a sliced French baguette. Serves 8-10.

Update- Nicole from Art and Aioli made this dip and it was a hit at her party. She spiced it up a notch by adding 2 diced fresh jalapenos. So play with your desired heat level and add more or less jalapeno peppers, you can’t go wrong!

For other delicious dips and spreads:

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Jalapeño Beer Queso
Macho Nacho Dip

Very Fun Game: We played this at the neighborhood gathering. Very Fun. Have each person write the name of a famous person, fictional or real, ten total, on a strip of paper and place in a basket. Divide into two teams, we played guys against the gals. Team one goes first. One person has to give clues to the team without revealing the name while the team tries to guess who is on the slip of paper. See how many each team can do in 30 seconds. Tally the score after each round. Rotate clue giver with each round. The team with the most points wins. The guys beat us that night because they stumped the ladies with sports people and famous band members-who the heck is Robert Plant? Oh and if you can’t describe the name you drew keep going until time is up. We came up with over 100 names so the game lasted a good hour. Try it at your next gathering.

For tomorrow in Big Red Kitchen- My 3rd instalment of Boston Day Trips- East Boston to Revere and Then Some. See some of the groovy places I visited. Wear your drool bib.

Never miss a post, subscribe to Big Red Kitchen now!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to Pageflakes

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 7:36 AM | Permalink

Thanks for this recipe. I made jalapeno poppers once – WAAAAAAAAY too much work for me – eventhough they were good. My husband thanks you in advance.

2. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 8:06 AM | Permalink

YUM!! Definitely bookmarked for… as you said… football days, etc. Looks great.

3. avatar Rob
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 8:28 AM | Permalink

Who is Robert Plant? WHO IS ROBERT PLANT??? Shame shame sister, everyone knows he was the lead singer for the Honeydrippers. Yeash.

He may have fronted some other band as well… but come on, “Sea of Love?” Best. Plant. Song. Evar.

4. avatar Lisa
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 8:51 AM | Permalink

This looks great. I love poppers but it is too much work to make them. I might adapt the recipe to use all the jalapeno peppers I picked before the frost the other day.

5. avatar Alexa
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

My husband would love this spread. What a fun recipe!

6. avatar biz319
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

Um, all I can say is YUM! I love jalapeno poppers/peppers/hot stuff/Tabasco, oh I guess I rambled a bit there!

I did try to make poppers once, thought I could handle those jalapenos SANS gloves. It didn’t hit me at first, but all of a sudden, in the middle of the night, my hands were just burning!

My husband did not believe me! I had to google it in the morning to show him that it happens! I had to go to sleep with ziploc bags of ice on my hands so I could fall asleep!

Thanks for the recipe!

7. avatar Veronica
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 7:18 PM | Permalink

I don’t know if I’m ready to give up on the Buffalo Wing Dip…but I’ll try.

8. avatar Kevin
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 8:12 PM | Permalink

Jalapeno popper dip sounds great!

9. avatar noble pig
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 8:21 PM | Permalink

I love them too! I have, have, have to make this!

10. avatar The Italian Dish
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 8:37 PM | Permalink

I’m printing these out right now. My husband loves jalepeno poppers and this looks great! I’m printing out your party game with the names, too!

11. avatar mary
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 9:47 PM | Permalink

Oh dear. This sounds and looks so good. I’m afraid I would eat the ENTIRE bowl.

12. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 10:49 PM | Permalink

Eat!- This is waaaayyy easier and everyone at the party loved it. We about ate every drop of it!

Recipe Girl- Perfect for football!

Rob- I thought he was the lead for Led Zep…

Lisa- great way to use up those garden peppers!

Alexa- Hope hubby likes it!

Biz319- Hey thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment-oh yes jalapenos really burn, I tried gloves once and they were such a pain to use. So in this recipe the can saves the day!

Veronica- Yeah that wing dip is great and spicy too, but this is a good change!

Kevin- It is indeed great!

noble pig- Do make it, you will love it!

The Italian Dish- Great! Glad you liked the dip and the game, have fun with these! Thanks for stopping by too!

mary- Oh I did have the wee bit leftover for breakfast the next day!

13. avatar Rob
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 11:10 PM | Permalink

Led Zep? Yeah sure, whatever, but they were no Honeydrippers…

@biz319 — back when I was a cook in a Mexican restaurant, there were way too many times I had jalapeno hand syndrome.

Best way to work with hot peppers is to keep the cold water running– rinse your knife and your hands often.

14. avatar That Girl
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

i used to think I hated jalepeno, but recently I’ve discovered I’m a fan.

15. avatar Jesse
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 11:44 PM | Permalink

Jalapeno poppers are way way at the top of my list of favorite drinking foods of all time! I must make this!

16. avatar aleta meadowlark
    Posted 10/23/2008 at 11:58 PM | Permalink

Oh am so doing this! Thank you!

17. avatar Amber
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 12:07 AM | Permalink

There is nothing like a fabulous dip to share at a gathering. Everyone just seems to love dips. I am always looking for the over the top recipes because it is not worth the calories if it isn’t the greatest. Thanks and bookmarked.

18. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 7:27 AM | Permalink

Rob- I always loved hearing your jalapeno stories. Can you say jalapeno seed ciggies.

That Girl-So then you would be the perfect fan for this dip!

Jesse-Do try time some time and thanks for stopping by. Wow you have quite a few blogs going, very creative person you are!

Aleta- Do it! Love your photos on your blog very nicely done. Nom nom nom!

Amber- Thanks for stopping in Amber. Love all the beautiful table settings on your blog, wow! Hope you like the dip!

19. avatar Grace
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 9:20 AM | Permalink

awesome–i can get both my cheese fix and my hot-and-spicy fix in one fell swoop. :)

20. avatar nicisme
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

I can almost taste that cheesy dip, very delicious!

21. avatar We Are Never Full
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

oh my god… salivation happening now. i have not had a good dip like this in AGES.

22. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 7:22 PM | Permalink

Grace- Thanks for always checking in with by, I always appreciate your comments!

nic- cheesy cheesy goodness in this dip!

We Are Never Full- Thanks for stopping by- and make this dip soon to cure not having good dip in ages!

23. avatar Lori
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 8:17 PM | Permalink

This sounds really awesome for the Holidays. I love jalapeno poppers.

24. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 10/24/2008 at 10:26 PM | Permalink

What a fabulous idea. I am bookmarking this for holiday gatherings. Great photos too. Thanks!

25. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 10/27/2008 at 2:15 AM | Permalink

Made it today for a pal’s dinner party – many rave reviews. I added a few raw serranos and jalapenos along with the canned peppers for extra oomph.

The only modification I might make in the future is to spoon individual portions onto bread and then bake to make self-contained/pre-dipped crustinis. I would only do that extra work if I had a lot of time and the event was fancy-schmancy. For a low key gathering the dip format is fine. Great recipe Robin Sue!

9 Trackbacks

1. [...] 5.) Jalepeno Popper Dip [...]

2. [...] 32. Jalapeno Popper Dip [...]

3. [...] Jalapeno Popper Dip: I love jalapeno poppers or stuffed jalapenos or whatever you want to call them. This takes the idea and turns it into a dip. It’s very good and a bit addictive. You’ve been warned. [...]

4. [...] Original Recipe: http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2008/10/jalapeno-popper-dip/ [...]

5. By Jalapeño Popper Dip | Good Stuff Only on 05/30/2013 at 11:05 AM

[...] For more details please visit this link were you will find instructions : bigredkitchen.com [...]

6. [...] Read all the details and the full recipe on bigredkitchen.com [...]

7. By 20 Interesting Snack Recipes | Recipes on 01/24/2014 at 5:10 AM

[...] Jalapeño Popper Dip Recipe: bigredkitchen [...]

8. [...] dips, and whatever you call that Velveeta + sausage or beef + salsa dip – try yourself some Jalapeño Popper Dip! I take this to parties often. Or, ya know, just make it for myself and eat it like a fat kid. I [...]

9. By 06: Seed Swap Goodies | 52 LASERS on 02/12/2014 at 11:07 AM

[...] Make awesome jalapeno popper dip  I pinned, so if the party flopped, mouths would be too full to [...]