A Delicious Holiday Appetizer: Curried Cheese Ball

This is my new favorite cheese ball. At least for now until a new one knocks on my front door. This cheese ball has so many flavors going on that a new flavor sensation comes with each bite. The presentation is lovely as well. This recipe comes from Karen V., who brought this to a Christmas party one year and I haunted her until she gave me the recipe. Naw, she was happy to share it and ended up bringing many copies to the long line of ladies who also begged for the recipe. Give this one a try, it is different from any cheese ball I have ever seen or tasted. I am kicking myself that I did not make two and freeze one. Where’s my brain? Don’t answer that! And no, I am not sitting on it- at least not today.

Curried Cheese Ball
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 T. dry sherry
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 t. curry
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. pepper
pinch cayenne pepper

Using your stand mixer or a powerful hand mixer, mix the ingredients until well blended and smooth. Line a two cup bowl with plastic wrap, leaving a lip around the edge. Spread mixture into plastic wrap and cover with more plastic. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but overnight is best. Can also be frozen at this point.

To Serve:
Remove the plastic from the cheese and invert on a pretty serving platter. Remove the rest of the plastic. Spread a thin layer, about 2-3 tablespoons of chutney over the surface of the cheese ball.

In small bowl mix:
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Pour that mixture over the chutney being sure to cover the entire surface. I used a piece of plastic wrap to press the peanut mixture into the surface.

Chill until ready to serve. Serve with buttery crackers. Serves 6.

Proceed to eat the entire thing.

If you do not want to go through the process of making this into a ball, well half a ball to be exact, then layer the ingredients in a serving dish as you would a seven layered dip. Still tastes great!

Have you signed up for my newsletter yet? Neither has my mother! The first one went out last Thursday with a bang and I even heard from a few of you saying you enjoyed it. Thanks!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 8:06 AM | Permalink

I was one of those ladies in line waiting for the recipe! I LOVE this cheese ball! The flavors are fantastic and it is something new and different! Thanks for sharing!

2. avatar JEWEL
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

Very different and sounds delicious. I plan to make this for a holiday get-together. Thanks!

3. avatar j*amy
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

looks yummy!

4. avatar Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 1:25 PM | Permalink

Oooh Robin Sue, this looks REALLY delicious, the flavors are so different than most cheese balls.

This is going to the top of the “to make” list!

I enjoy your blog so much.

(Psst… please come see:

http://onceuponaplate.blogspot.com/2008/11/thank-you-jain.html )

~m.

5. avatar That Girl
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 2:14 PM | Permalink

I don’t know why, but I never really got into cheese balls – I was always more of a dip appetizer girl.

6. avatar biz319
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Wow, what an amazing combo of flavors!

I love all things cheese!

7. avatar Dawn
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 7:14 PM | Permalink

ha ha “proceed to eat the entire thing” Umm yeah I would do just that. Gosh this looks dangerously good. I have to make this one.

8. avatar noble pig
    Posted 11/17/2008 at 9:11 PM | Permalink

And it’s pretty too…love the colors.

9. avatar Grace
    Posted 11/18/2008 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

i remember the first time i heard the phrase “cheese ball.” it wasn’t at all what i expected–it was much better. yours sounds heavenly. :)

10. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 11/18/2008 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

I always forget about cheese balls. This looks like a tasty one though!

11. avatar bkohler
    Posted 11/18/2008 at 2:57 PM | Permalink

Do you have any suggestions on what to substitute for shredded coconut? Have to deal with allergies. Thanx

12. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/18/2008 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

Rindy- That was a long line for sure!

jewel- it has always been a crowd pleaser, hope you like it!

j*amy- Thanks!

Mari- I love your blog too. Thanks for the award. I have to do a post on this soon!

thatgirl- give it a try you may likey!

bi319- Thanks!

dawn- it is great! I am sure you could take it up a notch too with some more cayenne!

noble pig- Thanks!

grace- ranks up there with pecan log!

recipegirl- this is good!

bkohler- hmm. You can leave off the coconut all together and double the peanuts, unless you have an allergy to peanuts too. Thanks for stopping by!

13. avatar Nicole
    Posted 11/18/2008 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

Now that IS a new cheese ball! How festive and yummy. Thanks for the tip.

14. avatar We Are Never Full
    Posted 11/19/2008 at 6:22 PM | Permalink

god, this reminds me of why i gain weight during the holidays – it’s b/c of delicious spreads and dips like this!

15. avatar nicisme
    Posted 12/04/2008 at 5:25 AM | Permalink

You don’t see them over here, your looks great!

16. avatar Heidi / Savory Tv
    Posted 12/22/2008 at 6:39 PM | Permalink

Hi – Just found you via the blogher retro cheeseball post! The flavors look wonderful, I can’t wait to try it!

17. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/22/2008 at 7:39 PM | Permalink

Heidi- I hope you like it! If you like curry and chutney you will probably enjoy this, it is very different!

18. avatar Eva
    Posted 05/23/2009 at 10:21 PM | Permalink

Hey Robin Sue,
    I would like to make the cheese ball for a midwinter Christmas party in June. Any idea what I could use instead of the sherry? I don’t have any at home and don’t want to buy a bottle for just one recipe :-) .

Thanks. I really enjoy reading your blog!

19. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 05/24/2009 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

Hi Eva- I think you could use any white wine or vermouth in place of the sherry. Sounds like a fun party! Thanks for stopping by! RobinSue

20. avatar campbell
    Posted 11/27/2013 at 12:15 AM | Permalink

It changes the flavor profile a bit but for folks who don’t use or have alcohol on hand, you could use a dash of red wine vinegar or a mixture of dry mustard and water or just up the Worchestershire to2T and add 2T water. A lot depends on the type of chutney you use as well as what “curry” powder you choose. I love the recipe as is, but one time didn’t have any booze to use so I just used water. Because I either make my own garam masala or use Penzey’s Balti seasoning, I didn’t even notice the lack of sherry.