Good Ole Fashioned Creamed Chicken

Ever since I started blogging my children have asked, “Mom have you blogged about Creamed Chicken?” “No I haven’t, why?” “Well you should, it is one of the best dinners you make.” I am finally getting around to posting the Robin Sue Family Stand-by: Creamed Chicken. It is a simple dish really. Humble, quiet, dependable. I have dressed it down. I have dressed it up. But no matter how Creamed Chicken is served it brings smiles of contentment to my table.

Creamed Chicken is a recipe from a treasured, old church cookbook I own. The recipe was donated by Juanita Fish. She was the most delightful lady and splendid cook. Juanita is no longer with us and years after her death, while her husband Joe was visiting another family friend, that friend asked, “Joe, what would you like for supper tonight?”
“Make me Juanita’s Creamed Chicken if you will, I haven’t had it since before she died.” Joe dined on Creamed Chicken that night.

I have served this dish over toast, puffed pastry, buttered noodles, baked potatoes, rice, biscuits, and mashed potatoes. I have served it to just my family or have served huge pots of it to a crowd and no matter what it is poured over, I get raves for this homey meal. Reheats perfectly as leftovers too. I have even taken leftovers and added peas, carrots, browned onion, cooked potato cubes and a little more milk, poured it in a pie plate, topped it with a crust and had a wonderful Chicken Pot Pie. Put it in your rotation especially during these colder months.

Creamed Chicken
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
4 cups cooked, shredded chicken- about 3-4 chicken breast halves
fresh thyme leaves from one sprig, or 2 pinches ground thyme
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium high heat, melt butter. To melted butter, whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk. Add the thyme. Turn heat down to medium and cook until thickened. Add chicken then salt (I use about 2 t. Kosher salt) and pepper to taste. Serve hot over baked puffed pastry shells, toast, or buttered noodles. Also good over rice, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, or biscuits. We also like ours with peas on the side or placed over top. If you add the peas to the pot of creamed chicken, the flavor will get too pea-ish. Unless you like pea-ish!
Serves 6.

The leftovers are perfect for “Masonating” over peas and pasta! For more of my Mason Jar Meal Ideas, go here- How to Make Mason Jar Meals Part I.

A Constant Source Of Entertainment: Children on Death

A few years back, the boys asked my husband and I what would happen if one of us died. Knowing immediately how Himself would answer this question, because every request for a Hawg, throughout our marriage was met with “over my dead body,” he said, “I’m finally going to get that Harley!”
The kids then asked if they would get a new Daddy or Mommy. So Himself asked, “Who would you like as a new mommy? Someone young, beautiful, and rides Harley’s?”
And my boys said, “Yeah!”
Then Himself said, “Who would you like as a new daddy?”
They said, “Oh he has to be big and black so that he could teach us how to play football.” Kids.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 8:09 AM | Permalink

My Oldest would be kissing my feet if I made Creamed Chicken for her.

2. avatar j*amy
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

mmm looks yummy. i love making chicken & biscuits [my family's little version of "creamed chicken", i suppose] in the wintry months!

3. avatar Karen
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Haha… you never know what kids are going to come up with! The creamed chicken looks yummy – and easy!

4. avatar Kate
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

That’s a homey and easy recipe. I love recipes like this. They are humble, real, honest, and the kind of food we make when we’re just pulling up chairs around the table. Those are always best. Thanks!

The stories … so funny. When we were young and moving from Washington DC to California, two of us rode with my Mother, and two of us rode with my father, in seperate cars, as we made thelong drive across the US. At one point in a busy city, we got seperated and there was a lot of anxiety as my mother drove around and around, looking for my mother’s car. My youngest brother was wailing and could not be consoled. “You’ve lost Mommy.” When my father finally pulled away from the curb to go find a telephone, my brother was convinced he’d left Mom behind for could. He started screaming and crying and beating my Dad with his fists. “Don’t leave Mommy, don’t leave Mommy.”

My Dad was trying to console him and thought he’d done a good job because after a block or two he stopped crying. Then he said, very quietly and calmly: “Well. Mommy’s gone. Can the next one have blonde hair?”

5. avatar Candy
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 2:59 PM | Permalink

My son just asked for chicken fried steak with gravy. I bet he’ll love this, too!

6. avatar michelle @ TNS
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 6:04 PM | Permalink

heh…you said pea-ish.

i am 12 years old.

7. avatar Lisa
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 7:58 PM | Permalink

My daughter is leaning over my shoulder right now telling me to make this:)

8. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 8:22 PM | Permalink

Eat!- Wow feet kissing for food- Great!

j*amy- Yup this is great on biscuits esp. in the winter~!

Karen – Thanks kids do say some funny things!

Kate- that is the cutest story, poor little guy, then what a recovery! Too funny. Thanks for sharing that story, it gave me a good chuckle.

Candy- Ooh a boy asking for Chicken Fried Steak, good Man!!

michelle- pea- ish pea-ish pea-ish! Three times fast sounds even funnier and I’m 10, so take that!

Lisa- Make it for the kid because she is sooo cute. Congrats on 100 posts!!!

9. avatar Stacey Snacks
    Posted 11/03/2008 at 9:27 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,
    Thanks for visiting my blog, and I love the comment from your kids about the new mommy and daddy>
    Kids say the funniest things!!!
    Stacey

10. avatar Grace
    Posted 11/04/2008 at 4:53 PM | Permalink

oh yeah! what a fabulous, soul-warming plate o’ food. i love the addition of the peas, too–they always give a nice little pop. :)

11. avatar Myra
    Posted 07/09/2010 at 12:49 AM | Permalink

Hello, I'm new to your blog and I love it! I just finished making this recipe and it is delicious! Thank you!

12. avatar Devin
    Posted 02/04/2013 at 6:43 PM | Permalink

What size mason jars do you use for this?

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 02/04/2013 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

widemouth pints

13. avatar Crystal
    Posted 03/08/2013 at 2:31 PM | Permalink

I stumbled across your website a few days ago, and I’m totally addicted! LOVE all your recipes for quick-gotta go moms.
    Could this Creamed Chicken be frozen for future use?

14. avatar anthea
    Posted 05/02/2014 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

Thanks so much for posting this awesome recipe. I can’t wait til I can make it. Next grocery trip.