How I Handle Leftover Halloween Candy

So I give my kids candy, don’t judge me. It is the one time of year I wish that could be avoided, not all the fun, but the candy. Too much candy. Three years ago I asked my dentist how I should deal with the dreaded Halloween candy. “I want to be a fun but in moderation kind of Mom,” I told him. He said to limit the candy to one piece per day for a short time, like a week, or let them have at it all at once, allowing the teeth one big acid influx to deal with instead of a bunch of daily influxes. Good idea. So here is how we do it in the House of Robin Sue. For one week after Halloween my children are allowed one piece of Halloween candy per day. Then on the 8th day we dump all the candy on the table, take away ownership, and time them for one hour to eat as much candy as they want. While Momma take pictures of course!

2006
This was the first year but they were able to come up with some sort of strategy. My oldest decided to have one bite of each piece, not wasting time to finish each piece but to enjoy a vast variety. Click on the picture and see the sugar coma my 3 year old is in. Poor thing, she had no idea!

2007

This time it was my middle son who figured out to roll some of the candies together into one big ball. They decided to mostly stick to their favorites instead of a variety. They also paced themselves taking 10 minute breaks and drinking water.

2008

We almost lost one this year! It looked like he was going to spew. The candy creation he concocted made him gag and his eyes water. This is the best cheap entertainment going! They had me in stitches. This year they were ready with a different strategy. They thought big glasses of milk would help them through the Candy Fest. I think the milk helped the candy through them. They did not last even 30 minutes before feeling quite full (ill.)

Once the timer dings, the yuckier candies (gummy eyeballs-ick) gets tossed, some sent to Himself’s work, and some goes into my baking pile. Then they brush, floss and rinse- fourty times!

What do you do with all that candy?

Tomorrow in BRK- The second Slider in My Slider Trio! What will it be??

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar j*amy
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

we have a lot left over due to much more candy than trick or treaters…[first year in a new place!]. i try to take a piece or two to work with me each day…and limit it to one or two after that…another idea we had was to make some brownies and top it with chocolate candy…yum!!! but we haven’t done that. my roommate refuses to tell me where she hid the brownie mix.

2. avatar Lisa
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

We are just about done with our candy. I have to say the adults in the house (ME included)are as bad as the kids. We all feast for about a week and then get rid of it by baking (or inviting friends over). I LOVE your idea.

3. avatar Rob
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

I helped myself etirely too much from the kids’ spoils of treating this year to the point of feeling ill. They still have a ton left over but I don’t think I’ll be trying your method! I can’t imagine (and don’t want to deal with!) the aftermath…

Maybe I’ll use it in your easy ice-cream cake recipe (which you need to share here, btw!)

4. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 12:59 PM | Permalink

LOL, great post. Fortunately I don’t have the candy issue, but when I have too much of something I don’t want….I bring it to work! The students here will eat it up for me!

5. avatar Lisa
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 2:28 PM | Permalink

Funny! When my kids were younger they ate what they wanted on Halloween but then the rest was shared and gradually disappeared over the course of about a week. They never much liked anything but Skittles and chocolate. I gleaned anything that might be fun on gingerbread houses and then the rest was discarded.

6. avatar Kristen
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

The Halloween Fairy comes to our house. They can eat whatever they want on Halloween night. The next day we sit down and they each (one by one in turns) get to pick out 10 pieces of candy. We leave the candy out that night and the Halloween Fairy leaves a small present for each child. This year it was the UNO game, Old Maid and travel Yahtzee. ($10 or less). It has worked well for us so far. Then the Halloween Fairy’s hubby takes the candy to his work. (But I do keep out bars for S’mores and cravings :) ). I love your story and photos!

7. avatar biz319
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 4:17 PM | Permalink

That’s hysterical! My sister and I would gorge ourselves that first week and eat all our candy.

My brother on the other hand paced himself and would always have his last piece of candy THE DAY BEFORE THE NEXT HALLOWEEN!

8. avatar Karen
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 6:16 PM | Permalink

I used to take the leftovers to work with me. My daughter didn’t have much of a sweet tooth and one year I found her bag of candy hanging on the back of her bedroom door just before the *next* Halloween!

9. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 6:30 PM | Permalink

j*amy- I think that is a good idea to bake with it. I have seen some good recipes floating around the foodie blogs.

Lisa- Thanks I was bad about eating some too this year. Yikes!

Rob- Ice Cream Cake Yummy!

HoneyB- I don’t dare give it to my students or they would never sit and listen!

Lisa- That is a great idea to set it aside for gingerbread houses!

Kristen- Great idea to exchange it for a useful gift. My kids may like that, but I thin they are used to the hog fest. Thanks for the comment!

biz319- I was the pacer and I can identify with having candy all year!

Karen- Wow, now that would be gone in our house!

10. avatar noble pig
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 7:37 PM | Permalink

OMG that is hysterical. I just keep eating it all, I’m bad! I even bought some at 50% off!

11. avatar Lori
    Posted 11/12/2008 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

Oh my that was a funny post. I was just laughing till I cried when you said they flossed and brushed 40 times.

It is a dilemma isnt it. I hate it. We try not to go to too many houses to avoid it. I give a lot of Halloween remnants away at my kids birthday parties in January. Goodie bags for parents to take home and deal with. I am so mean.

I like your idea. My husband would have a stroke though. Thank God it is almost gone.

12. avatar That Girl
    Posted 11/13/2008 at 1:54 AM | Permalink

We still have a bowl of candy I have to get rid of.

13. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 11/13/2008 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

Noble Pig- I have to get it out of here or I will eat too much too!

Lori- Funny that you send it home with other kids for birthdays! It does get to be too much!

That Girl- Go for it, you have one hour!

14. avatar Grace
    Posted 11/13/2008 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

that’s absolutely hilarious! if my mom had done that for us, i wonder how many years it would’ve taken us to learn our limits. i’m pretty sure we would’ve made ourselves sick for at least the first two or three years…we’re all hard-headed like that. :)

15. avatar Lauren
    Posted 07/12/2009 at 7:15 PM | Permalink

My younger brother and I would always sit down the day after Halloween and sort our own candy into two piles: Candy we like and want to keep, and Candy we don't like.
    Then we would give each other our "don't like" piles to pick through for what we wanted. Mom and Dad got the rest. We were also nice with things, like if I didn't get many of one thing and my brother did, we'd trade off.

My mom would include a piece or two from our spoils in lunches, and we could usually have 3 or 4 pieces (depending on the candy) for dessert after dinner until we got sick of it.

16. avatar Elizabeth
    Posted 10/25/2009 at 7:11 AM | Permalink

I had to laugh at your poor babies…making themselves sick over the candy! I guess that's one way of them getting over the craving. LOL It worked for me….with chili and beans when I was a kid and had a possible case of the flu. One of the beans spurted out my nose and to this day…43 years later, I still cannot eat chili with beans! lol

GREAT idea!…and funny too.

17. avatar Laura Weathers
    Posted 10/17/2012 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

After 3 days we dump all the candy out and sort through saving it for candy houses around Christmas. You never get the variety that you do at Halloween and the kids are anticipating the fun of making the houses- graham cracker on cut down milk carton base they willingly cede. We enjoy the houses and then throw them out when the holiday is over and we still keep our teeth!

Loved the pig out pics.
    Laura

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 10/17/2012 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

Great idea!

One Trackback

1. [...] It (unrestricted) – This mom lets her Happy Buddies eat an unlimited amount of candy for dinner one night (no restrictions) and [...]