Christmastime Rosettes of Mâche Salad

Rosettes of Mâche is usually my choice of greens when entertaining. Its dainty peppery leaves always make a beautiful presentation. These greens are usually available at your favorite grocer and I have found them at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Upon opening your bag or clam shell of mâche, simply check the rosettes for roots and pinch them off. Arrange the greens on a platter so that the rosettes are all facing up. Top the salad with your favorite toppings. This time of year I like to use pomegranates, apples cut into matchsticks, and shaves of Parmesan or percorino. The colors are perfect for the Christmas table.

Rosettes of Mâche Salad
One bag or clam shell Rosettes of Mâche Salad
1 apple cut into matchstick sized pieces
seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
several shaves of Parmesan cheese
For the Vinaigrette:
2 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. apple juice
3/4 t. minced shallot or onion
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients for the vinaigrette until smooth. Toss with the arugula and apple sticks. Serve immediately. Note- Other names of this green are Field Salad and Lamb’s Lettuce.

These are my new toys. Flexible silicone measuring cups in 4, 2, and 1 cup sizes. I found them at a restaurant supply store and have used them everyday. The fact that I can pinch them to pour is a fantastic feature.

Little Italy: Boston

I just got back from Boston where my family and I spent our Thanksgiving weekend. It was fantastic to be with all my cousins, aunties and uncles, brother and parents, just like old times. Of course we never stopped eating, talking, and eating some more. I also had the opportunity to visit many Italian grocers in the Italian North End. This time I meandered down the side streets of Little Italy visiting the unique family owned shops that sold anywhere from coffee to dried beans. I was able to purchase many of my Italian extracts and flavored oils for my Christmas Italian cookies. I will blog more about my adventures later in the week. Click on the picture for a closer look. It’s classic!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 9:55 AM | Permalink

very beautiful idea to rosebud the leaves…makes such a nice presentation. You’re so lucky to have a Trader Joe’s near you!

2. avatar Sara
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 10:23 AM | Permalink

I love mache, and I also love putting pomegranate seeds in salad, it looks so pretty!

3. avatar Nicole
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

Beautiful salad. Mache is good. I find it sometimes and at other times it is hard to find. Weird.

4. avatar Sheila
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

Gorgeous salad!

5. avatar That Girl
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

I hardly ever use mache – but it does make for a beautiful salad.

6. avatar biz319
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 4:59 PM | Permalink

I have never even heard of that green before! I’ll have to check that out the next time I am at TJ’s.

Jealous of your Italian grocery shopping! Glad you had a nice holiday!

7. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 5:05 PM | Permalink

I’ve never heard of mache before, it looks great. The man in the hat makes the picture of the Italian grocer even more classic. He’s so cute!

8. avatar Shannalee || Food Loves Writing
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 5:09 PM | Permalink

So you’re FROM Boston’s North End? I am officially completely jealous. Can’t wait to hear more about your adventures!

9. avatar Lisa
    Posted 12/01/2008 at 7:45 PM | Permalink

What a festive salad, and so simple! It sounds like it tastes as good as it looks. I hope to try it soon.

10. avatar noble pig
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 4:05 AM | Permalink

I can’t wait to see the Italian stuff you bought, awesome, what a great weekend!

11. avatar MrOrph
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 5:33 AM | Permalink

I like mache too, but have not really found much to do with it.

This is an excellent application!

12. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 8:59 AM | Permalink

if a salad sounds fancy and looks fancy, it probably is fancy–very nice. and your silicone toys look super useful–have you seen them anywhere other than a restaurant supply store?

13. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 12:16 PM | Permalink

Foodalogue- Thank you so much and yes I love having a TJ’s nearby.

Sara- I think the pomegranate seeds are such a plus in salads!

Nicole- yes mache can come and go but my TJ’s has a ready supply of it right now!

Sheila, Than Girl- Thanks!

biz319- Thanks it was great and I did get some good Italian things!

Joie- The guy with the hat is a bonus, very cute!

Shannalee- I am from Boston originally and I try to get back as often as possible. Love the North End for sure!

Lisa- Do try the salad it is very tasty.

noble pig- got some very cool things there!

Mr. Orph- I bet you could come up with something great!

Grace -I have yet to see the silicone cups elsewhere but I bet they will be out soon!