Good Food Hunting in Revere, MA: The Best Torrone, Bread, and Pastries

NEW DEAL

My family and I had the good fortune of being able to drive to my cousin’s and spend Thanksgiving in the Boston area with all my cousins, aunties, and uncles. The big fun was that my brother and parents were flying in the day after Thanksgiving for the almost more important Italian Feast. My cousin Cheryl thought it best to have the American food on Thursday and the Italian food on Friday when my brother and parents came into town. On the way to pick up my brother at Logan I called my Auntie to ask if I could pick up the bread and save her the trip.

“Auntie, where do you get the bread?” I asked knowing that this is the most important task of the day.
New Deal on Broadway.” She said. “Get two loaves, the ones they truck in from the North End. Get there before noon or it will be all gone, all gone it will be!” It was only 9:30 am so I would get there in time.
“Call me when you get the bread.” she said. In an Italian home the bread purchase was like a major mission. I assured her I would call her when the mission was accomplished.

Instead I called her to give her heck for never telling me about New Deal. When I walked into this local grocer I was hit with the fresh smells of produce. You can’t get that smell in modern grocery stores. I was overwhelmed with all the Italian offerings from crispy lady fingers, hanging cheeses and meats, fresh ricotta and mozzarella, to many other Italian treats. I have not stepped into a store like this since living in Europe. I picked the two loaves of the freshest bread I have ever seen and spied the Torrone an Italian candy I ate at my grandmother’s as a kid.

Torrone is a nougat candy filled with whole almonds and surrounded by a thin wafer like coating. I asked the guy behind the counter, Matt, if the Torrone was the real deal with the communion wafer on it. That’s what we always called that coating. He said that they don’t mess around and order this candy all the way from Italy and it is the soft nougat and not the hard. I bought half a pound wishing now that I bought more. The aroma was sweet and very vanilla the way it should be and the candy melted in my mouth as the almonds were crisp and fresh. After my purchase I told Linda, one of the employees, that I would be back with my brother as we do not have this type of shop where we live in Virginia. She then took me for a tour of the store and showed me a picture of the original shop 50 years ago. Domenic Petruzzelli you have a gold mine here, I only wish I lived closer. Do you ship?

I did as I promised and after getting my brother from the airport we returned to New Deal for some more shopping. We circled the store 3 times to be sure we saw everything we could see. The fruit selection is like none other; very fresh and reasonable. We spent a lot of time oohing and aahing over the other items. I bought two packages of lady fingers, the crispy kind, to make a nice dessert for Christmas, that is if they make it that long. I have been known to eat an entire package with a cup of tea! When I return to Revere, I will be sure to bring and empty suitcase to load up on some other treats from New Deal. Oh and I will be sure to go back for their subs as they have been rated the best in town, at least according to my cousin, a foodie and restaurateur.

LUBERTO’S

Before leaving New Deal, we asked Linda if there were good Italian pastries around. She directed us to Luberto’s right down the street from where we were. She raved over their pastries. We were in. Luberto’s is right down Broadway in Revere. Rob and I got a sample breakfast of a cannoli, pizza, and a Black and White, my favorite cookie as a kid. We were in heaven as we sampled and ate every crumb. Everything was exquisite. The Black and White Cookie was soft and spongy and the frosting’s perfectly flavored and fresh. It is the best I have ever had since I was a child.

I always wanted to have an oil done of me with a cannoli in one hand and a Black and White Cookie in the other but I would have preferred to be surrounded by Roman gods feeding me the pastries and my not having a double chin.

CIAO!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 8:06 AM | Permalink

Don’t you just love exploring foodie places? I wonder if I could get a job do that!!

2. avatar FOODalogue: Meandering Meals and Travels
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 8:38 AM | Permalink

You definitely look happy! Nothing better than a good Italian market and the New Deal seems to fill the bill. I remember as a kid visiting my aunt in LI (about 1-1/2 hour car trip) and we were responsible for bring the ‘good’ bread from Brooklyn…which never arrived at its destination with its ends. The anticipation, the smell and the long ride made it impossible.

3. avatar Alexa
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and great food too. Perfect! It’s great that you are in a location where you can get together with your family like that for a long weekend.

4. avatar Lisa
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

I love those type of places. There are a few in Phila but when I lived in north NJ, there was so many more. Torone is awesome and that one looks so fresh.

5. avatar Rachael
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I can’t believe it…you are holding my two favorite desserts in your hands! I LOVE cannoli and black and white cookies. We have tried to make them at home but they just don’t taste like the New York and Italian Delis. I bet those were delicious!!!!

6. avatar Tanya
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 2:40 PM | Permalink

Geez, I wish we had a good Italian market here in my area. I love Torrone! My parents always set it out during the holidays. Now you got me excited!

7. avatar Dawn
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 4:27 PM | Permalink

I know that place very well. I have a few good friends in Revere as well. Good food eh? Love it there.

8. avatar Lucy
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 5:37 PM | Permalink

What fun you've had!!! Having family in Boston myself, my cousins & I have shopped those same shops, YUM!!! That torrone looks amazing!

9. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 6:29 PM | Permalink

Lucy- I can’t get on your blog anymore! Help! Hope you read this because I cannot contact you.

10. avatar biz319
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 6:31 PM | Permalink

You are such a lucky duck! If that would have been me, I would have been in that store for HOURS!

I totally forgot about Torrone – that was my husband’s favorite treat growing up – he’s first generation Italian – his family is from Florence, Italy. Hope to make it there for our 10th anniversary in 2 years!

11. avatar Bobi
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 8:03 PM | Permalink

Robin you would have made a great Catskill resident. In the 50′s there was Katz’s bakery that would make your head spin. Now we have Cohen’s in the near vacinity and they have black and white cookies to die for. The grandchildren love the black and whites. All this time I have been crediting the Jewish Bakery and now you say it is Italian – Thems fighting words!!

12. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/02/2008 at 9:39 PM | Permalink

Bobi- Fighten’ woids huh?! Too funny, in Germany I ate them too but the Germans call them Americaners. Some Americans call them Halfmoons and some Black and Whites. I think they did start in NY though:-)

13. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/03/2008 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

double chin? silly lady.
    if you find some roman gods, let me know. :)

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/03/2008 at 6:33 PM | Permalink

Eat!- That would be the best job. Wait that is my job, I just don’t get paid, does that count?

Foodalogue- See the bread is important!

Alexa- It was the best time!

Lisa- This Torrone is to die for!

Rachael- Welcome! I could never make them taste the same as the deli’s!

Tanya- Yup I hope you get some for the holidays it is so good!

Dawn- Maybe your people know my people!

biz319- Wow Italy would be great!

Grace- I know a few Roman Gods but they are taken!

15. avatar nicisme
    Posted 12/04/2008 at 5:27 AM | Permalink

I’d love to mooch in that shop, you would have to drag me out of there!