Homemade Christmas Part II: Aplets or Turkish Delight

Now for Lori’s recipe at Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness. Last week Lori gave the recipe on how to make Aplets. Since Himself is from Washington State we know all about Aplets and Cotlets or fruit jellies. I was very happy to see that I could make these myself now. Once Lori pointed me in the right direction on where to get rose water I was ready to go. I found my rose water at Wegman’s in the Indian foods isle just where Lori said it would be. Since I am such a Narnia fan, I called mine Turkish Delights, and being on the East Coast no one receiving these gems would understand Aplets.

While these were cooking I got a scent memory. Did you ever have one of those? The smell of those apples cooking brought me back to my teeny tiny kitchen in Germany when I used to make my own baby food, I had only one child at the time, mind you. The apples smelled delightful as they cooked. I used Gala apples as that is what I had and these are delicious and very fun to work with. I love rose water and did increase the amount to 1/2 tsp. Lori these are divine and are very hard to resist- I guess I am a bit like Edmond!

PS- I left the nuts out of these too. I think next time I will do half with and half without.

A Constant Source Of Entertainment– ICU and Pranks

There was a particular nurse on the unit, Mrs. Jones who was the constant target of pranks. A group of doctors, the charge nurse and a few others gathered in the x-ray room reviewing a particularly alarming x-ray on a new transfer to the unit. They called in Mrs. Jones, the new patient’s nurse and showed her the x-ray. I was fairly new and was called in too. The x-ray showed the lower bowel and rectum on this young gentleman and the alarm was over how they were going to get the gerbil out of his, um, bottom. Mrs. Jones hit the ceiling.
“If you think I am going in there to get that thing out you have another thing coming!” She screamed.
The head surgeon answered with, “Ms. Jones, that gerbil has to be removed before his surgery or he will die on the table.”
“Not me!” She said again more adamantly.
“Nurse it is your duty, he is your patient!” He quipped back while the nurse stormed out.
Now I am noticing the other docs turning away and trying not to laugh, so I knew something was up. I finally got a good look at the x-ray and had to stifle a laugh too as I saw the joke. Someone had taped a photo of a gerbil on the back side of the x-ray right where the rectum is located. The issue of Mrs. Jones over looking the fact that it was a photo of a gerbil and not an x-ray was baffling. As soon as Mrs. Jones was out of ear shot we all cracked up but were quickly interrupted by a kerfuffle happening in the hallway. Just in time we prevented a very angry Mrs. Jones, who was fully garbed in an isolation gown, head covering, goggles, and gloved up to her arm pits, a giant forceps in her hand, marching down the hall yelling, “That nasty, filthy man, why do I have to be the one to get that creature out of his *bleep*!” from entering that poor, innocent patient’s room and performing that unnecessary evacuation.

Monday in BRK- Homemade Christmas Part III- It’s a good one!

Have a Great Weekend Everyone!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Lori
    Posted 12/19/2008 at 9:49 AM | Permalink

THey look fantastic Robin Sue. Nice job! And that is a great gift idea. More healthy but greast tasting at the same time.

Could you taste the rose water?

So glad you all enjoyed them!

2. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/19/2008 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

Lori I could taste the rose water! Very good and just a hint enough to make one say yum what is that?!

3. avatar Dawn
    Posted 12/19/2008 at 3:42 PM | Permalink

my great grandmother in washington state used to make these…this all brings back so many memories.

4. avatar That Girl
    Posted 12/19/2008 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

I love turkish delights, and have never heard of aplets!

5. avatar Rachael
    Posted 12/19/2008 at 5:02 PM | Permalink

I can’t believe I forgot about Aplets and Cotlets this year! We fell in love with these when we lived in Spokane, Washington years ago.
    We found them at Target last year and were calling them Turkish Delight too! I must go to Target and get a box…they were my hubby’s favorite treat last Christmas–he was going through a box every couple of days.
    Better yet, maybe I will make them…thanks for the great recipe and now I know I can get rose water at Wegmans. I think you can get ANYTHING at Wegmans (I LOVE that store).

6. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/20/2008 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

Dawn- These are a fun candy to make! Very yummy too!

ThatGirl- Aplets are the same!

Rachel- I did not know Target around here carried Aplet and Cotlets! Wow, I will have to remember that! Wegmans is the best!

7. avatar noble pig
    Posted 12/20/2008 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

Ah, the rose water! Love these, love them!

8. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/20/2008 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

i saw these for the first time on lori’s blog, and seeing them again here just makes it that much more obvious–i need to make a batch immediately!

9. avatar Sara
    Posted 12/22/2008 at 2:11 AM | Permalink

I love aplets and cotlets, I’m sure homemade ones taste even better!

10. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/22/2008 at 7:27 AM | Permalink

noble pig, Grace and Sara- Thanks so much for your comments! The rose water makes these extra special!

11. avatar @zlem
    Posted 09/23/2009 at 4:05 PM | Permalink

Most special Turkısh delights eats in Türkiye.
    I love Türkiye!!!