Kitchen Klique’s Cookie Exchange and My No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Rindy over at Kitchen Klique along with her friend Sarah, hosted their second annual Cookie Exchange. After last years event I waited very impatiently for my invite in the mail this year. These ladies know how to do a cookie exchange like no other. Wow! On the invites we were asked to bring an appetite, wear a festive apron, and bring 3 dozen homebaked cookies. I scoured for an original cookie and even had The Recipe Girl on Twitter send me a suggestion but at last I found the perfect cookie. Red Velvet Black and White Cookies. I love Red Velvet and I love Black and Whites, it was a match made in heaven. But I tripled the recipe and forgot an ingredient in my hurrying to get these baked up. Look I made one big cookie mess! That was my second Red Velvet disaster of the week.

So I went to my tried and true recipes, which is what I should have done in the first place and made these Raggedy Robins or No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. From an old church cookbook, this cookie recipe was donated by a dear lady and friend, Jean Dawson who had died this past October 2008. One thing she will always be remembered for is singing “I Wonder As I Wonder” each Christmas on our church’s stage by the Christmas Tree until she could no longer get up from her wheelchair due to MS. She continued singing this song each year while sitting in her wheelchair behind the last pew. Although singing from the back of the church her voice was so strong and beautiful. Never a dry eye after she sang. This cookie is an easy ole standby for me and can also be done with milk chocolate by substituting the white chocolate chips for 4 tablespoons of cocoa.

Raggedy Robins
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups regular rolled oats

In a large Dutch Oven mix sugar, white chocolate chips, butter, and milk. Stir over medium heat and bring to a rolling boil. Boil one minute (after rolling boil starts.) Remove from heat. Quickly stir in vanilla, peanut butter, and oatmeal. Working quickly, drop by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Cool for 20 minutes. Makes 36.

THE COOKIE EXCHANGE

I don’t even have a tree up yet and look at Rindy’s beautiful entry. Was I back in The White House? See the bags on the stairs, those were for our cookies to take home. Each lady was able to make a very full bag of cookies and such a variety.

Rindy had this huge center piece asking, “Got Milk?” Very cute for a cookie party. She and Sarah made spectacular appetizers and I hope she shares the recipes. Mini Crab Cakes, Mini Reuban Sandwiches, Spanikopita, Antipasti, Shrimp Cocktail, Scallops Wrapped in Bacon, Onion Tarts, Stuffed Endive, Brie Bites, and Mini Peanut Butter and Chocolate Puddings, and Mini Mint Cups. There was so much more than that too. All so delicious!

Look at these cute Gingerbread Men.

Look at my bag of cookies. That’s just one layer, there were four more layers under that one. My children were thrilled with the cookies Momma brought home and were amazed at the variety. I don’t think there were any duplicates and that is saying a lot for there being over 30 ladies there.

Here is Rindy, Sabrina, and I enjoying our time together. This party was so much fun. I got to see some friends I had not seen in a while and meet some new people too. One thing’s for sure, those ladies can bake!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Linda
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Oh man, I wish I lived by you! What a spectacular party that must have been!

2. avatar Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

WOW, what a lovely cookie exchange!

Thank you for sharing the experience with us Robin Sue. I must try your Raggety Robins, they look delicious!

I’m sorry about the Red Velvet cookies (but I bet they were yummie just the same.)

I love your blog!

3. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

No fair – your pictures are so much better then mine! Thank you for all the sweet compliments – it was so fun. I love getting together with you guys – I see a gourmet club night in our future pretty soon! I think it’s my turn – Hold on to your hats!

4. avatar Karen
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 1:49 PM | Permalink

I’ve never been to a cookie exchange and they always look and sound like so much fun!

5. avatar Dawn
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 2:01 PM | Permalink

Oh sorry about the red velvet’s. You know it happens to all of us from time to time.
    What a fun party. I should try and create a cookie party/something like that around where we live. If I still lived in DC I would have met you by now, but we moved back to cape cod. (We lived in alexandria, close to olde town). I have to wait till we buy our first house as the house I’m renting only has a galley kitchen (fancy name for very small).
    I’m still dreaming of those italian sausage cacciatore sandwiches! LOL

6. avatar bobi
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 2:08 PM | Permalink

If you ladies all got together and had a bed and breakfast I would come for tea every afternoon and stay for supper. You wouldn’t even have to change the bed linen since I would go home to sleep.
    Those peanut butter cookes (no bake) sound like a Florida hot day must have. Thank you! Yes, it is warm here – even on Dec. 17th – no sweater necessary.

7. avatar biz319
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

Oh my, what a gorgeous spread! Hope you get all those recipes!

You’ll be happy to know my blood sugars are fine today :D

8. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 3:44 PM | Permalink

That was quite an extravagant cookie bake. Looks like she thought of everything — what a nice afternoon for you all.

9. avatar Maris
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 7:01 PM | Permalink

Love your holiday decorations and I think I’d have loved your cookie spread even more! :)

10. avatar noble pig
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 7:56 PM | Permalink

I am so making these tomorrow…thank you!

11. avatar leslie at just for today
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

Fantastic spread! Do you have any egg nog cookies recipes? Leslie

12. avatar Sara
    Posted 12/18/2008 at 1:44 AM | Permalink

Your cookies look great, and the holiday decorations are beautiful!

13. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/18/2008 at 9:15 AM | Permalink

there’s nothing quite like red velvet cookie-pancakes. :)
    and raggedy robins? brilliant, and surely delicious.

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/20/2008 at 10:03 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone. Rindy and Sarah did a wonderful job and made us all feel so special! Rindy is known in these parts for her creativity!

Rindy- Ooh I can't wait for gourmet club- Thanks for the cookie exchange I am still talking about it with my MA!

Dawn- I bet we would have met! Happy House Hunting!

Bobi- Your girl is amazing but I think you already know that! Her home is beautiful! I think a B & B would exhaust us!

15. avatar Liesl
    Posted 02/04/2009 at 11:15 AM | Permalink

I finally got a chance to make the Raggedy Robin’s for my superbowl party!!! I can’t believe how good those were, and I can’t believe I didn’t know about the peanut butter version sooner!!!