The White House Christmas Tour

My brother Rob works for The White House as their web developer therefore was able to get me into the Christmas Tour along with our Mom (Ma) and Dad. It was beautiful. The theme this year is red, white, and blue, very patriotic. Let me take you on the tour with me. Come on, this way…

Above, Rob and I as we are entering The White House. We are greeted by these huge Uncle Sam nut crackers. Then we were welcomed by a very patriotic Santa.

The view from the East Wing hallway.

The Vermeil Room was the first room we peered into. The painting of Jacqueline Kennedy is breathtaking, almost ghostly.

Right across the hall is The Library.

Just outside of The Library we ran into Dave and Julie Almacy, fellow bloggers and friends. Dave of the website Capital Gig had worked for The White House for many years and was a fantastic tour guide.

THE EAST ROOM

The East Room is a grand room decorated beautifully with trees, tulips, Nativity Scene, and some famous paintings of our past presidents: the grandest being the classic George Washington portrait.

THE GREEN ROOM

My favorite piece in the Green Room; The Argand Lamp.

My favorite painting of Independence Hall.

Ben.

The flowers throughout The White House were so pretty.

THE BLUE ROOM

The Blue Room was completely emptied to host the grand Christmas Tree decorated in the themed red, white, and blue ornaments representing each state. The tree went to the tippy top of the room.

This is the view of the wisteria banister from The Blue Room. In the spring the wisteria is in full bloom and is absolutely beautiful.

STATE DINING ROOM

The State Dining Room hosts the portrait of Abraham Lincoln looking mighty young. Below is The White House done in white chocolate. The neat little tid bit Dave gave us was that one year he was invited down to film Barney playing with the remains of The White House Gingerbread Display. You know something like Barney running through it. But instead the team had a good time talking to the pastry chefs. The pastry chefs told them that they have to repair the gingerbread homes each night as the guests find them fun to nibble on. Note to self- don’t nibble on the gingerbread houses while in The White House, it really ticks off the chefs.

GARLANDS, FLOWERS, SWAGS, AND GINGERBREADS

Look at the size of those poinsettias behind Ma and Dad.

THE NORTH ENTRANCE

THE NATIONAL CHRISTMAS TREE

My SIL Tonya and I by the National Christmas Tree.

“Houston we have a problem.” Uh oh the little train that travels around the tree had a little too much White House egg nog. I heard from a very good source that The White House egg nog is very potent.

Below is my favorite picture of the National Christmas Tree. There is also a Capitol Christmas Tree in which I hope to visit soon. A fellow blogger Karen, of Karen Cooks was able to visit The Capitol Christmas Tree in Havre, Montana, her home state and the state which donated the tree from one of their beautiful forests. Visit her blog post about The Capitol Christmas Tree here. Karen I’ll get over there soon so I can get you a picture!

Thanks Rob for getting me in. Thanks Dave for the neat facts, information, and pointing out Doro and the Sec. of Education, all right before my clueless eyes! The original Fab Four Klauses had a great time!

PS- AN INTERESTING TID BIT

Look how thick the glass is.

PPS- Do you think my students would hand their homework in on time if I dressed like this to work?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

What beauty! My favorite is the blue room. MY Goodness, would I love to see it all in person! Thanks for sharing Robin!

2. avatar Lisa
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 9:39 AM | Permalink

Great pictures, you lucky girl!

3. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 9:47 AM | Permalink

Cool! They even let you take pictures! What a great experience for you…

4. avatar Rachael
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 9:48 AM | Permalink

I am SO jealous! What a fantastic experience for you to be able to see the White House at Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing these incredible photos. We went to see the National Christmas tree this past weekend and then peered through the fence at the outside of the White House. I would have loved to have a tour of the inside :-)

5. avatar Linda
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 10:18 AM | Permalink

Robin, What a lovely tour of the White House! You did a fabulous job with the photos and descriptions. How special you must have felt to see things that most people will never have the chaqnge to see. Thank you for sharing your lovely experience.

6. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

Thanks for the tour.

7. avatar Sheila
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

It is quite amazing how many great pics you were able to get. Thanks for sharing.

8. avatar biz319
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 12:53 PM | Permalink

Wow, what a great time! I’ve been to D.C. before (used to live in Virginia) but never inside the White House – what a priviledge!

And great pics!

9. avatar Joan Nova, South Florida
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

That’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to the White House. I’m sure it was a very enjoyable experienced. I also did some exploring this weekend…check my blog when you have a chance.

10. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

I’ve never been to Washington,DC (my children have though!)so thank you for the lovely photos! I enjoyed looking at it through your eyes/camera! Great photos!
    ~ingrid

11. avatar Laura
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

What fun! I’ve been collecting WHite House ornaments since I got married (my ILs are from DC and so my MIL gets them for me) and I thought this year’s was gorgeous–do you collect them also?

12. avatar Karen
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

Thank you for such a grand tour! I’d love to be able to visit The White House during the Christmas Season – everything looks like it’s decorated so beautifully! Hope you got to see the Capital Christmas Tree – I’ll be waiting for a pic! ;)

13. avatar noble pig
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful! I haven’t been to the White house in years but never at Christmas! That tree shot at the end is magnificent. Thanks for sharing with us!

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 8:25 PM | Permalink

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It was an honore to be there and I was happy to share it!

Laura- I do have some White House ornaments but mostly give them as gifts. I love to visit The White House Store when we have guests in town or I need a unique gift to give. I think this years is very pretty. I loved the wedding one from last year too! When I went to Korea to get my daughter, I brought the staff that worked on my case at the orphanage The White House ornamants.

Karen I hope to get down there again with my family to see the trees!

15. avatar cookienurse
    Posted 12/15/2008 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

Thanks so much for sharing the great photos!! Wish I was there to see it in person!

16. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/16/2008 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

quite honestly, this is probably the closest i’ll ever get to seeing the inside of the white house. thanks for sharing. :)

17. avatar Alexa
    Posted 12/16/2008 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

I really enjoyed your tour of the White House– gorgeous and educational. Is your brother going to keep working there after January?
    Thanks for sharing!

18. avatar Susan
    Posted 12/16/2008 at 10:08 PM | Permalink

Thank you for sharing this tour- I really enjoyed it- wish I could be there in person!

19. avatar Anthony
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 7:28 AM | Permalink

It’s been about 20 years since I did the public tour. This was great to see.

Couldn’t help but notice the views out various windows. Perhaps you’d be willing to submit them to What I See Out My Window and get a link back to your blog.

I’d appreciate you touching base back, in any case, to see if we might do some networking.

20. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 12/17/2008 at 10:31 AM | Permalink

Alexa- Yes Rob will work there after Jan, he has a career job and not an appointment. Yay for him! (and me too). Last week he and his wife attended Thw White House Christmas party in which they get to have their picture made with the President. It is also a non-roped tour. They can meander through some of the rooms like the Library.

Anthony- I’ll be baking all day today but I will get those pictures to you soon with a short paragraph. Thanks for letting me contribute!

21. avatar Kristen
    Posted 12/18/2008 at 12:27 PM | Permalink

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing the tour with us.

22. avatar nicisme
    Posted 12/20/2008 at 5:23 PM | Permalink

I would love to have a nose around, thanks so much for sharing your fab photos.