Brunch Part II: Hot Fruit Salad

Christmas Eve Morning I woke up at 5:45 am with a jolt. I had forgot something but what? I had purchased all the gifts and wrapped them, had all the ingredients for Christmas dinner, and had prepared for Littleness’ Birthday Morning. What was it? By this time Himself had awoken too.
“I forgot something.” I told him.
“What?” He asked.
“Oh my word! I forgot the fruit to make the Hot Fruit Salad. How could I have forgotten that? Pooh and I don’t want to be in the grocery stores today either. I am done with shopping.”
“You could go now?” Himself suggested.
“At 6 in the morning?” I laughed.
“Yes.”
“It would be the first time in 15 years that we didn’t have Hot Fruit Salad on Christmas Morning.” I said sadly.
“We have to have it.” He said.
“You’re right I better go now.” I said as I rolled out of bed before the sun was up.

We have to have this Hot Fruit Salad every Christmas Morning. It is so rich, sweet and buttery and is such a great compliment to any main Brunch dish we choose. This year it was Eggs Benedict. Not only is this salad good it is very pretty with the fruit in individual stacks sitting in a hot velvety sauce. I have brought this to many of my MOPS brunches with great success each time. It can be made ahead and I have even frozen it without any trouble. You may use any canned or jarred fruit you’d like, but the following are what I have come to love over the years.

Hot Fruit Salad
1 large can Pineapple Rings
1 large can Peach Halves
1 large can Pear Halves
1 can Apricot Halves
Maraschino Cherries

Sauce:
1 stick butter
2 T. flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup fruit juice: I use fruit juice form the canned fruit, usually pineapple
2 T. juice from maraschino cherries for color

Drain all fruit saving one cup of juice. Place the fruit in layers in a baking dish starting with pineapple rings topped with either a peach or pear half then an apricot half followed by a cherry. Heat ingredients for the sauce together until thickened and bubbly; pour over fruit. Cover and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. Bake at 350° for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serves 10.

Note- Whichever brand of fruit you purchase you want to be sure to have 10 pineapple rings, 5 peach and pear halves each, and 10 apricot halves and cherries. I like to have 5 bundles with a peach half and 5 with a pear half. Also purchase fruit in lite or natural juice.

PS- Shopping at 6 am is the best! No lines, the shelves are stocked and if you need any help every department manager is there to assist. Will I do it again? ZZZZZzzzz.

Tomorrow in BRK- Brunch Part III: Scotch Eggs.

Related Posts
Brunch Part I: NJ Coffee Cake
Brunch Part III: Scotch Eggs
Brunch Part IV: Yeast Biscuits

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rachael
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 8:30 AM | Permalink

Oh my…that looks fantastic! I would also feel like I was getting my recommended daily servings of fruit (even if it had butter and sugar on it) :-)

It sounds really tasty and very much like something you could serve at a family brunch or an elegant brunch with guests..

I will look forward to your Scotch Eggs recipe!!!

2. avatar j*amy
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 9:12 AM | Permalink

mmmm…fruit…
    i went Christmas food-shopping on the 23rd at about 1130 at night. it wasn’t so bad [other than being completely exhausted from 3 hours of band practice and working that day], but it wasn’t too busy and the lines weren’t long. that’s the trick – late at night or early morning, week nights.

3. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

That’s a very pretty addition to the brunch table. I’d serve it but I don’t think I could personally hack all that sweetness and butter. I’ll save room for the scotch eggs.

4. avatar Dawn
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 10:53 AM | Permalink

wow! what a breakfast! I must make that crumb cake!

5. avatar schvin
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 1:42 PM | Permalink

that sounds really good.

i am very curious to read your scotch egg post.

also, what recipe did you use for eggs benedict?

eggs and bacon improve everything.

6. avatar Lisa
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 4:02 PM | Permalink

This looks so good as well as the coffee cake. In NJ, you can get the best coffee cake.

7. avatar Melissa
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 6:20 PM | Permalink

Mmmm…I have never had a warm fruit salad. It look scrumptiously delicious!

8. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 6:29 PM | Permalink

That is dedication to a tradition to go to the grocery store at 6am Christmas morning. It must be good to be worth that effort.

9. avatar Grace
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 7:57 PM | Permalink

this is totally unique, and i can say with certainty that i’ve never had a fruit salad that wasn’t cold. great christmas tradition!

10. avatar noble pig
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 8:40 PM | Permalink

Hot fruit salad? That’s a new one for me! I love it. Glad the store was open!

11. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 8:52 PM | Permalink

Rachael- Thanks we love to see this on the table every Christmas. You can see that it is very rich and that it why we have it only once!!

j*amy- Yes off hours are the best! When I was single I used to shop in the wee hours but quickly found out that that was when all the transvestites shopped. It was interesting!

Joan- Yes this is very rich but tommorow’s recipe will fix that!

Dawn- Make away!

schvin- Zoiks we really didn’t use a recipe for the eggs benedict’s Hollandaise Sauce! My mom made it up from 3 different recipes. But we did use Eng muffins, Canadian bacon, and poached eggs. Try this recipe

Or you can always get hollandaise sauce in the packet form and all you have to do is add water I think. I think it is made by Knorr and I have had it in the past and it was pretty good and simple. Or you , Capegirl and Maggie will have to pop in sometime! I do want to go to Eastern Market when the weather clears up. Do you think you guys would like to play tour gide?

Lisa- Have you ever eaten at Mastori’s- They have the best Cheese Bread. Now that is one recipe I would love to have!

Melissa- I think you may like this one!
    Joie- Yup it is all about the food!

Grace- It was taught to me by a Southern Lady!

noble pig- Try it you may like it!

12. avatar Alexa
    Posted 01/07/2009 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

What an amazing looking brunch! I am not sure what I like best… all of it, I guess. The hot fruit salad is so unusual and creative. I hope your year is off to a great start, Robin Sue!

Best wishes,
    Alexa

13. avatar That Girl
    Posted 01/08/2009 at 2:06 AM | Permalink

I don’t know how I feel about hot fruit. I like fruit salad, and I like warm cobbler – I’ve never heard of hot fruit salad though.

14. avatar schvin
    Posted 01/08/2009 at 12:26 PM | Permalink

brk – definitely let us know when you want to have a wonderful tour of eastern market. it is a superb farmer’s market, and we enjoy trips there.

even maggie likes her vegetables!

it is more fun when things warm up, but there is also always good coffee to be had at nearby peregrine espresso, too!

15. avatar Karen
    Posted 01/08/2009 at 3:25 PM | Permalink

I love food traditions on Christmas. We always have cinnamon rolls. This fruit dish sounds so good… just the thing for a cold morning!

16. avatar Peter M
    Posted 01/09/2009 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

This would certainly make me feel warm & cozy…heck, I'll even wear long-johns for these!