Cheating Part II: Mock Chocolate Fondue

Now the cheating has taken a turn for the worse. This one is so bad and so good all at the same time. Today I give you Chocolate Fondue. At least that is what it is impersonating, so let’s call it Mock Chocolate Fondue, OK? I have done this one for many years to rave reviews and recipe requests and people are so pleased that it is just so simple. This fondue goes together so quickly and without fuss, clumping, burning, or seizing. Also it is not as cloyingly sweet as most chocolate fondues. The sour cream kinda gives it a cheesecakey flavor. I’ll admit, it is not like the “good” stuff but it is quick and does the job quite well. Give it a whirl if you dare.

Mock Chocolate Fondue
One container chocolate frosting
16 ounces sour cream
2 tsp. Grand Marnier, Kahlua, or other favorite liquor- optional

In a medium sized microwave proof bowl mix the first two ingredients until smooth. Microwave on high for one minute or until warmed through. Add liquor and stir. Serve with bananas, grapes, strawberries, marshmallows, cookies, pound cake, and brownies. Can serve cold as well.

Will you ever forgive me for this?

Related Post:
Cheating Part I: Cake Mix Cookies

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

This looks like heaven! Thanks for the cliff notes on chocolate fondue!

2. avatar Cindy
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 8:52 AM | Permalink

Personally, I love eat that frosting out of the container..but would never dream of using it on a cake..homemade frosting only!! I bet this fondue is delicious..if I can manage to get my spoon out of the frosting container!! :)

3. avatar Amanda
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 8:53 AM | Permalink

I’ve been trying to figure out a way to do fondue for my son’s 2nd birthday and I think you just figured it out for me. ;) What a great idea and it looks delicious!

4. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 9:16 AM | Permalink

I’d score you an “A” for creativity.

5. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 9:17 AM | Permalink

You are so full of wonderful ideas. You could let Sandra Lee of SemiHomeade a run for her money. This looks absolutely fabulous.

6. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 9:35 AM | Permalink

What a great idea when your in a hurry and in a pinch!

7. avatar Netts Nook
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

Thanks for your comment on my Smoothie. We love fondue our daughter works at Melting Pot we will have to try your idea.

8. avatar Sheila
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

You never cease to amaze me. I love chocolate fondue but you really can’t enjoy more than one or two bites because it is so sweet. The sour cream tip is great, not to mention just two ingredients! You could have a whole dinner of two ingredient things with this and your pumpkin cake. What’s the main course?

9. avatar Sheila
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

I say two because I would probably leave out the Kahlua . . . I know you are saying “shame” or “don’t” but the chocolate and sour cream are enough kick for me.

10. avatar Julie Pia
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 11:23 AM | Permalink

I love it! Can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

11. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

You are a real cheater!! LOL…I’ll have to say this sounds great!

12. avatar GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

This recipe will be fun to try for one of our support group meetings, since this frosting is gluten free. :-) Sour cream is the “secret” ingredient in so many recipes, isn’t it? A cheesecaky flavor is good. With some fresh fruit or GF treats, this will be very good. Thanks!

Shirley

13. avatar Theresa
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 12:42 PM | Permalink

What a cheater; in a good way!! I’ll cheat on this too.

14. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

I tried making real fondue in the crock pot this past Sunday. (another cheater) It was great after 20 minutes, but I started it with 4 hours to spare thinking it would be alright. By the time we were ready for it, the steam from the chocolate had dripped back down from the lid which caused the chocolate to seize. Instead of fondue, we had very, very rich chocolate pudding.

As for the sourdough starter dearest Anna Sophia, it does not have to be rye. I’ve had luck with whole wheat too. I’m tempted to try all purpose flour too (although I don’t know if you do it in the same flour/water ratio). If you try it, let me know!

15. avatar Kate
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 1:21 PM | Permalink

Now *this* is a better confession. I’m laughing. I’m glad you said it wasn’t cloyingly sweet — my chief complaint about any tubbed frostings. I make cake mixes, but seldom buy the frosting for that reason. The sour cream would make it tangy and take the sugar down a notch.

16. avatar That Girl
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 1:47 PM | Permalink

lol – I’d probably just call this plain ole chocolate dip. I love that you don’t have to keep it warm!

17. avatar I'm just the typist
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 4:13 PM | Permalink

You should call it “Mock-olate Fondue!” Danielle

18. avatar JennyMac
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 4:14 PM | Permalink

Wheeee! My kids are doing French Cuisine this week! That is an easy treat after the Quiche demo… Thanks Robin!

19. avatar biz319
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

Um, I am definitely stealing this! Our kids love fondue, but even with my electric fondue pot, the chocolate always tend to scortch the on the bottom!

Yum!

20. avatar Karen
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 5:08 PM | Permalink

This is one I’m going to remember – how simple and it sounds just heavenly!

21. avatar Grace
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 5:19 PM | Permalink

yeah…i forgive you. and pat you on the back. :)

22. avatar Pattie T.
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 6:55 PM | Permalink

I’m stunned! It looks great. So, it doesn’t have to be served warm, but can it be served in a fondue pot with a warmer underneath, or will the sour cream and frosting ultimately separate?

23. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 7:31 PM | Permalink

Pattie T.- I have only done this in the microwave. I don’t know what would happen in a fondue pot on heat over any length of time. I do serve it cold in the Summer as a chocolate fruit dip.

24. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 02/18/2009 at 7:57 PM | Permalink

You have all of the good & easy tips… seriously! This is a brilliant idea!

25. avatar Elyse
    Posted 02/19/2009 at 3:45 AM | Permalink

I, for one, am thrilled that you’re posting your secrets! This one looks so delicious (like I might start eating the fondu with a spoon), and I love how easy it is! Thanks for sharing.