Peanut Butter Blossoms and the Worst Valentine’s Days Ever!

Yes, plural. I had two worst Valentine’s Days in my life. Well I shouldn’t say they were the worst but as a teenager they were horrible. So you will have to put yourself in a teenage frame of mind to understand the drama. Kinda like getting into Twilight. Now that I am all grown up- sort of- I look back and smile and realize how special those two worst ever days really were because they involved a very special person.

WORST VALENTINE’S DAY EVER #1- Jr. Year in High School 1984
Let me paint the picture for you. I was 16, very short, very flat, braces, not popular but I did have good friends, mostly boys, but no boyfriend. That year my school decided to do Computer Dating Match Up for Valentine’s Day to raise money. We all thought that would be fun to see who we matched. Would it be the cute hunk from Chemistry class or the nerd from study hall? So we all gave our dollar and answered the 5 questions on the survey and let fate decide. My friends and I teased and guessed who would be chosen for us while we anticipated the answer. It was fun to dream over the next few days while some kid’s TRS-80 cranked out our “match made in heaven.” The big reveal came and we all got our envelopes with our match. Oh the nerves and the excitement that day as if getting the guy I wanted would allow me to stake my claim on him. The small print said no guarantees or refunds. When I saw the name of my match- someone I knew too well and the thought disgusted me- all my hopes and dreams were shattered. My mouth hung open but I could not speak and my eyes blurred as I cried, “No!” My friends all gathered grabbing the paper to read, then all laughed hysterically at my match. No it was not the geek from study hall, it was much, much worse. It was my little brother! And guess who his #1 match was?

WORST VALENTINE’S DAY #2- Sr. Year in High School 1985
This year I was dreaming of a better Valentine’s Day. I did have a boyfriend, wonder of wonders and he was taking me out on a nice date. Now this year the school decided to sell carnations: pink for friend, red for love, and white for secret admirer. Easy. We all made our orders and I ordered a red for my beau and a few pinks for my friends. Well on the day of flower delivery I got the expected red from the boyfriend, very sweet, a few pinks from friends, but then a shocker- I GOT A WHITE ONE. Who could it be? I looked at every boy that day, wondering. Even though I had a boyfriend I still wondered (and hoped a little too.) Teenager, remember? Boyfriend of course was not thrilled that someone else was trying woo me away. When I got home, Ma asked how my day was and I told her about the white flower and we both wondered who it could be. She was even caught up in the drama. After a time of watching us wonder, my brother broke into hysterics. He was completely unable to control himself. Ma and I turned to him and asked him what his problem was. “I bought her the white flower,” he said as he fell off the chair laughing at me and Ma, “and it was the best time I have ever had for a buck!” Brothers.

Make some of these Peanut Butter Blossoms for the peanut butter lover you love, like or, secretly admire. TRS-80 not included.

Peanut Butter Blossoms
16 ounces natural peanut butter, I used Smucker’s Natural Chunky
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 small bag Hershey’s Kisses

In a large bowl mix the first three ingredients until it forms a nice dough. Roll into one inch balls and place on an un-greased cookie sheet about one inch apart from each other. Press slightly. Bake in 350° oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Push a kiss on each cookie, cool completely. Some Kisses I pushed in point down- they look like googly eyes to me that way, others point up . I like to mix it up like that. Makes about 36 crispy, delicate cookies.

PS- My boyfriend did give me a sweet card. Funny I still remember it. On the front it said “Oatmeal” and on the inside it said “I didn’t mean to get all mushy on you.” Swoon (gag). I loved (hated) being a teenager.

Related Posts:
Valentine’s Day Candy Leis
Knock You Naked Valentine Brownies
Chocolate Pots de Crème

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 7:47 AM | Permalink

I’m sure Tanya would have to disagree about Rob being a bad Valentine! Your brother is just about as funny as you! Hope you have a wonderful Valentines day with “Himself” and those sweet little kids of yours.
    Funny Post!

2. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 9:08 AM | Permalink

I won’t say they were your worst valentine’s days! Your brother is so funny…LOL. Those are wonderful memories! You all will have a good laugh next time.

3. avatar Elyse
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 11:53 AM | Permalink

Even though you didn’t know it at the time, at least your brother provided you with some great blogging fodder! Plus, those yummy PB blossoms look like they could heal any trauma you may have suffered!

4. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

U R 2 funny!

5. avatar Dawn
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

I’ve always loved these cookies. Reminds me of Girl Scouts.
    Your brother was a meanie! LOL

6. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

I love your valentine stories! Your brother was a stinker…

7. avatar Debbie
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

Yes….your brother was a stinker, but little brothers are supposed to be right? LOL
    We love these cookies…they are my boys favorites. My three boys are all in their 20′s now, with families of their own. When they request these cookies, they call them…. (nipple cookies) They think they are funny. They are stinkers too. Boys/men usually don’t grow out of the stinker phase, do they?

8. avatar Kate
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

Well he *was* your match made in heaven, right, so it stands to reason he’d send flowers! :) That’s great.

9. avatar Karen
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

Haha… cute post.

10. avatar That Girl
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

Awwww I like your brother! At least the way he thinks.

11. avatar noble pig
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 2:06 PM | Permalink

That is hilarious. Seriously I laughed so hard at your 1st story.

Love the blossoms too.

12. avatar Cindy
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

The Valentines promotions sound vaguely familiar..where did you go to high shool?

13. avatar Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!"
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 3:32 PM | Permalink

Sorry your brother ruined 2 of your Valentines, what a stinker. Do you guys laugh about it today?

-Your candy lei’s are a cute idea too!

14. avatar biz319
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 4:58 PM | Permalink

Great stories!!

I was a freshman in high school when they made our Valentine’s dance a turn about where the girls ask out the boys. I had a major crush on the senior class president so I decided to go for it!

There he was in all his glory surrounded by all the “cool” kids. I went up to him, asked him if he’d go to the dance with me and he immediately laughed, then all his friends laughed and I was so humiliated I just ran away!

It’s funny what we remember from high school!!

15. avatar Laura
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 5:02 PM | Permalink

Times like these I think going to an all girls school wasn’t so bad!

16. avatar Rachael
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 7:20 PM | Permalink

Here’s to better Valentine’s Days as “grown-ups”…but the stories were GREAT! hahahahaha

The Peanut Butter Blossom’s are my middle son’s favorite cookie..he would eat peanut butter for every meal and I believe he has done it a few times!

17. avatar Sheila
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 7:30 PM | Permalink

My high school class sold carnations with the same colors and meanings.

Your brother is hilarious, so are Debbie’s calling those cookies nipple cookies. My brother was a stinker, too. The only boy in our house and he had 4 sisters. One year for Christmas he bought us all some type of sanitary napkin as gifts. Ugh!

I’ve not seen the blossoms done this way, with two kisses. How cute!

18. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 7:57 PM | Permalink

That was great. I laughed so hard. My bro is a stink too. But I didn’t have the joy of being in school with him. It’s fun to look back.

19. avatar Linda
    Posted 02/12/2009 at 10:17 PM | Permalink

You just have to love those little brothers!

20. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 02/13/2009 at 1:29 AM | Permalink

Your bro may not be the “romantic” love you had hoped, but he is still in your life after all these years (and would probably do anything for you including donate a kidney!) I’d say it was true love. :)

21. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 02/13/2009 at 5:16 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone. My brother and I are close and we still laugh about all of this.

Cindy- I went to Eastern High School in Gibbsboro NJ. Sound familiar?

Sheila- I laughed so hard at the Napkin thing. Yup I could see Bobby doing that! HA!

22. avatar Grace
    Posted 02/14/2009 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

i enjoyed the stories, and the cookies are obviously fantastic, but my favorite part about this post is the card your boyfriend gave you–i got a real good chuckle out of that. :)

23. avatar GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted 02/15/2009 at 11:50 PM | Permalink

Love the stories. :-) The cookies are beautiful and naturally gluten free–how cool!

Shirley

24. avatar Diedra
    Posted 02/16/2009 at 11:43 AM | Permalink

Next Valentine’s Day I hope you remember to send your brother some white carnations.