When I attend a potluck I try to bring a food item based on taste, ease in transport, does it need to be kept hot or cold, something everyone would like, and something maybe unique. This past Sunday we had a potluck at church and I spied my Artisan Bread in 5 dough in my fridge, enough to make two pizzas, perfect. My pizzas came together quickly and were delicious, not a piece left. I think I finally make pizza as good as or better than my Auntie Fannie who was famous for hers (at least in our family!) My pizzas were served at room temperature and the kitchen ladies had cut the pizza in 3×3 inch squares. So keep some of this dough in you fridge for some good potluck pleasin’.
I love potlucks, I really do. I perk up when I hear potluck and start daydreaming about what I am going to bring, what wonderful dishes will be present, and maybe learning a new recipe or two but…
Why Do I Still Attend Potlucks When…
1. The family of 16, all big eaters, is in line in front of me and I may as well surrender now and call Pizza Hut for delivery.
2. That very same family of 16 brought a can of corn.
3. Parents are not watching their children load up on food only to waste it while I got two kernels of corn and a half of biscuit. I’ll know to load up at Communion next time.
4. People stand in line eating food off their plates with their fingers, and lick those fingers, then reach for the serving utensils for more food. Now I know for sure that the term “greasy spoon” started at some church basement potluck.
5. People in line in front of me are sniffling and sneezing. Beyond the Blessing I may need a shot of Penicillin to prevent illness. Or vodka.
6. Unidentifiable food is present. If you have to explain your dish, don’t bring it.
7. A person is running around asking if there is any salt in each dish, “My blood pressure you know.” We’re SOUTHERN Baptist, what do you think?
8. A stampede is caused by someone shouting, “Oh look Twinkies and SpaghettiO’s!” Why is it that the store bought stuff is more popular than my homemade Dulce de Leche Pie?
9. There are people in line with their plates heaped high looking for the Diet Coke.
10. The people in line in front of me are already on their seconds.
What do you like to bring to potlucks and what is a potluck pet peeve of yours? Be nice. Well only a little nice.
UPDATE- Potluck Pet Peeves Part 2! Best Reader Comments, plus read more comments. Some people have had some crazy experiences at potlucks! Oh and my peeves are an accumulation of 25 years attending various church, office, and Army potlucks.