Salmon Souvlaki and a Faux Pas!

Iam sure I have committed some type of faux pas by making a souvlaki using salmon instead of chicken. I had chicken the night before so it was time to have a fish dish and I wanted something piquant. That lead me to Peter’s site kalofagus.ca for his scrumptious souvlaki marinade that he uses for his Piquant Chicken Souvlaki. This marinade is heaven and really brought my salmon dinner to life. What I did was spread the marinade over the entire sockeye salmon filets, one pound in all, and let them marinate for about an hour.

I did leave out the bay leaf since I was leaving the marinade on my fish. I baked the salmon for 12 minutes at 425°. Doesn’t that look good? The fish was perfectly cooked through and very juicy.

I served mine in a tortilla (another faux pas- I forgot the pita) with cucumber slices, tomato, lettuce, Greek yogurt, and a sprinkle of oregano. Loved it!

I served Himself’s Salmon Souvlaki over a bed of lettuce with tomato and cuke slices, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and Butternut Squash Soup on the side sprinkled with Roasted Chickpeas.

Everyone liked this salmon recipe so give it a try, it has to be the best Souvlaki Marinade ever. Thanks Peter you Greek god of the kitchen you!

Note: Peter’s blog is the go to blog for all things Greek.

Tomorrow in BRK: Every one’s doing it so I think you should too: Roasted Chickpeas.

UPDATE: See I did do a major faux pas! Souvlaki means skewer in Greek and there is not a skewer anywhere. So this is just plain old salmon using the marinade FROM Pete’s Chicken Souvlaki (with the skewers.) Thanks Peter for straightening me out. I love blogging- I learn so much and make myself look silly too! Next time I will cook it on a skewer to make it official.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar EAT!
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 10:10 AM | Permalink

We are a house full of salmon lovers. Adding to my Lenten menu list.

2. avatar Netts Nook
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

Can’t wait to try what an idea Thanks for sharing.

3. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 11:03 AM | Permalink

Those look amazing! I’m proud of you for losing weight!

4. avatar Rachael
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

Perfect timing, Robin! I need more fish recipes for Lent, and my kids absolutely LOVE Salmon..this is great!!

5. avatar Maria
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 11:59 AM | Permalink

We love salmon!! This looks super good!! I love all of the flavors!!

6. avatar Grace
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 1:18 PM | Permalink

i’ve seen lots of souvlaki in my day, mostly because i seek it out, but i’ve never come across a salmon version. really nice, robin sue!

7. avatar Elyse
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 1:38 PM | Permalink

Oh my goodness: this look so good. Hmm, good’s not a good enough word. This looks spectacular, divine, scrumptious. I usually only crave sweets, but I would do just about anything for a piece of your souvlaki salmon right now!

8. avatar Marysol
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 2:00 PM | Permalink

I had never thought of using Salmon (instead of chicken) for Souvlaki. And why not?
    It not only looks moist and good! But the ingredients would complement a fatty fish like salmon nicely.

You know, I have always loved Greek food, and I also like Peter’s site, so I’ll be checking this recipe. Thank you Robin!

9. avatar Peter M
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 6:34 PM | Permalink

Robin, thanks so much for trying out the marinade…it worked very well for chicken and I see no reason why it won’t work for salmon.

I’m glad you caught the boo-boo with the naming of this as “salmon souvlaki”.

Souvlaki in Greek refers to skewered meat, which you have not done here.

Had you cut the salmon into pieces and secured it on skewers, then you would have salmon souvlaki!

Since this tasted so good…all the more reason to make this again and place on skewers! lol

10. avatar Karen
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 6:48 PM | Permalink

I’m with you Robin… I learn so much by blogging! Who would have known that souvlaki meant skewered! Well, Peter, that’s who! This marinade sounds really good. I’m sure it’d be great with salmon as well as chicken. I’d like to try it with lamb.

11. avatar catherine at unconfidentialcook.com
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 7:09 PM | Permalink

Looks so delicious, and I love the idea of using something unexpected in an expected dish. Thank you!

12. avatar noble pig
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 7:56 PM | Permalink

What a smart idea, my salmon could use a face lift and this sounds snappy. “Snapped up Salmon”.

13. avatar jesse
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 8:07 PM | Permalink

Mmm, I’ve never come across this recipe before… but from your pictures I’m betting it’s delicious!

14. avatar Kristen
    Posted 02/25/2009 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

None of us would have none any different :) Either way, whatever it is officially called, it looks fantastic!

15. avatar Laurie Constantino
    Posted 02/26/2009 at 4:32 AM | Permalink

Combining salmon with Peter’s marinade was a great idea – it doesn’t matter what you call it – so long as you and your husband know what you are talking about. Don’t worry – be full!

16. avatar Lisa
    Posted 02/26/2009 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

Skewers or no, that is a gorgeous wrap. I really like the idea of using fish in this recipe. I would probably have never thought of it. In the Pacific NW you can never have too many ways to eat salmon!

17. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 02/26/2009 at 6:58 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the great comments everyone! This is one reason why I love blogging- I learn so much!

18. avatar GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted 02/26/2009 at 10:51 PM | Permalink

Looks terrific to me! I am going to consider it souvlaki because of the flavor. :-) I’ll have mine in a corn tortilla please. This recipe made me think of fish tacos … incredibly good! I just love fish and could eat salmon 24/7.

Shirley

19. avatar Kevin
    Posted 03/06/2009 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

Looks good! I really like the sound of salmon done in the souvlaki marinade.