Supper Club: Irish Soda Bread

When I received my “Top Secret” bag O’goodies from Rindy I knew it was going to be a fun Supper Club. Peaking out from the bag was a green tiara- all girls love tiaras, green beads, and a green satin bow tie. Right then I knew were were going to be up to some Leprechaun mischief while celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. The bag also contained “The Menu” for the evening. We dined on Irish Soda Bread, Beets with Watercress and Bibb Lettuce Salad, Corned Beef and Vegetables, and Banoffee Pie. Everything was so good. All you could hear at the table is everyone mm-mming.

Here are the boys being mischievous. I think they look like a bunch of Leprechauns going to Mardi Gras dressed like Elton John.

Here are the naughty green faerie princesses.

Rindy had her table dressed up beautifully with some low center pieces and our props.

I was in charge of bringing the Irish Soda Bread which was really moist and tasty. I did not use raisins- can’t stand the things, or the caraway seed. I substituted dried cherries in their stead and Rindy was gracious enough to let me. My letter of dismissal from Supper Club may come later this week.

Irish Soda Bread
4 cups AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking powder
4 T. unsalted butter, cold
1 cup dried cherries
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 large egg yolk
1 T. heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking stone with parchment paper. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture feels like coarse meal. Stir in cherries until evenly distributed. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and baking soda until well combined. Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour and butter mixture all at once, and stir with a fork until all the liquid is absorbed and the mixture begins to hold together. It should resemble a rough biscuit dough. Using your hands, press the dough into a round, dome-shaped loaf about 8 inches in diameter on the prepared stone. In a bowl, mix the egg yolk and cream together. With a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over the loaf. With a sharp knife or razor, incise a cross, about 1/2 inch deep into the top of the loaf. Transfer to the oven. Bake rotating halfway through until it is deep golden brown and a wooden skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center, about 70 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool. Makes one loaf.

Five years ago when we began this Supper Club the three of us had no idea that we would be bloggers. From L-R: Sabrina, Rindy, and me.

See what the other girls had to say:
Rindy’s Kitchen Klique for more recipes and pictures from the hostess of this months Supper Club. And don’t miss her Horseradish Gravy.

Sabrina’s Tiki Bar for her salad recipe and pictures.

Himself does have a mischievous look on his face and I bet he is thinking- “I am done with that dumb detox diet Robin Sue had me on and now I am going to have two pieces of that Banoffee Pie!”

What do you think he was thinking?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

Robin gave me her recipe for Irish Soda Bread which I made Sat. nite for my dinner group. She told me to leave out the soda. It was the most delicious Irish Soda Bread(minus the baking soda) that I have ever had. I did not put raisins or any other fruit in it. It was so moist. This soda bread also sounds very moist and looks absolutely delicious. Top of the mornin to ya. Ma

2. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 9:06 AM | Permalink

Robin – that was the most delicious Irish soda bread I have ever had! Your addition of the cherries were great! Thanks for coming – I had a great time!

3. avatar Sheila
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 9:46 AM | Permalink

I am not into raisins either, so leaving them out what a great idea. You guys look like you were having way too much fun! I don’t think I can type what I think Himself had on his mind, the naughty little Leprechaun;)

4. avatar Maria
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

Your bread looks fantastic! I love St. Patty’s day. It is my grandpa’s birthday. He will be 93 this year, we better celebrate with some bread:)

5. avatar Laura
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

Hysterical!

I love using other dried fruit in place of raisins. Sometimes I am ok with raisins, esp the golden ones, but in general I much prefer something else. What is it about raisins?….

6. avatar Joie de vivre
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

The boys do look like Elton John!

I want to hear more about this supper club! What are the rules? How did you find people to join you? Were you already friends or were they fellow foodies? I’m curious because I’ve been interested in doing something like this. And the boys, have they always been a part of it or did it branch out to include spouses?

7. avatar recipes2share
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 11:04 AM | Permalink

Soda bread looks fantastic & what a fun time you had!

8. avatar Karen
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

Looks like great fun!

9. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

Very fun…loved your reference to Elton John (which is true!). Also would like to get my hands on a hunk of that soda bread.

10. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

The bread was great Robin Sue. And we always have a great time together. I am so glad you came up with the idea of Supper Club. And that is a great picture of Himself even with Elton John’s glasses on.

11. avatar Dawn
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

LOL! Aren’t you a cutie?
    I love irish soda bread. and you said this recipe is moist? I must try it then as I like my irish soda bread moist, not too dry.
    in response to your question on my irish eggs benedict: my hubby does not cook, bless his heart he’s not even allowed in the kitchen LOL. he orders out the stuff from a local diner and brings me home some. I love it. it’s easy to make, just use leftover corned beef and make it into hash, then top it with a sunny-side egg and some fresh hollandaise sauce; put all on top an english muffin.

12. avatar biz319
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 5:43 PM | Permalink

What a great time! And I will make your soda bread recipe, but without fruit – not a fan!

Do you have a favorite corned beef by chance? There is such a range in my local grocery store’s sale papers = from .99 a pound to 4.99 a pound. Do you think the more expensive ones would be better?

13. avatar unconfidentialcook
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 5:49 PM | Permalink

What fun, and the bread looks good enough any time of the year.

14. avatar noble pig
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 7:52 PM | Permalink

I’m so glad you posted this! I want to make it for St Pat’s! What a fun night!

15. avatar Lisa
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 8:46 PM | Permalink

Great pictures and great bread.

16. avatar Sara
    Posted 03/11/2009 at 10:14 PM | Permalink

Sounds like a really fun dinner! Your bread is beautiful, I’ve never made one of these before.

17. avatar Grace
    Posted 03/12/2009 at 5:55 AM | Permalink

look at ya’ll, getting all into st patty’s day. what fun, and what a perfect bread for the occasion. :)

18. avatar Elyse
    Posted 03/12/2009 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

This soda bread sound fabulous! I love it when you get a nice, moist bread. Plus, your changes are totally in sync with my tastes. I’d much prefer dried cherries over raisins in my bread, and caraway seeds…leave em out! Can’t wait to try your recipe. The Supper Club sounds great!

19. avatar Lisa
    Posted 03/12/2009 at 1:28 PM | Permalink

I’m with you! I can’t stand raisins, though caraway seeds might be okay. Still I like your idea of adding dried cherries. I love those. Your loaf is really beautiful!

20. avatar GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted 03/12/2009 at 11:43 PM | Permalink

Great pics of a fun time for you all! Coincidentally, there was a recipe for gluten-free Irish soda bread in my In Box today. :-) Sounds like yours was a huge hit!

Shirley

21. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 03/13/2009 at 8:17 AM | Permalink

Looks great but I love raisins =)

22. avatar Peter M
    Posted 03/13/2009 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing R-Sue, I appreciate when bloggers open their doors.

I’ve not had Irish soda bread…yet…looks yum!

23. avatar Nicole
    Posted 03/18/2009 at 8:44 PM | Permalink

This looks too fun!! What a good group of friends. I have missed A LOT and I peeked in on blogs now and then over the last month too. But seriously girlfriend, where do you find the time? Especially if you are running the kids around to their sports all day. I don’t do that yet and still don’t even have time to mop the floor more than every few weeks it seems.

24. avatar Cate
    Posted 03/19/2009 at 4:13 PM | Permalink

It sounds like such a fun night! Love the accessories. :)