Cook The Blog and Other Things

COOK THE BLOG

For every blog recipe I make I add three more in its place. I will never get through them all. Now the inventor of this little number needs a kiss. Sugar Cookie Bars. They are brilliant. So much faster than the individual kinds. We really liked this cookie bar. It reminded me of Christmas but in April with a happy colored icing picked out by my Little Dae. She wanted lilac colored cookies. Do you know how hard it is to get the right color of lilac in a red kitchen? We had to run it outside to make sure it was right. The only change I made was to the icing. I used cream cheese in place of the shortening and buttermilk in place of the milk.

I also made Lori’s Hamburger Patty Special which was a hit with our company. I served them with rice and pinto beans and also put out Kaiser rolls for those who wanted to eat it like a big juicy burger. I used Ro*Tel and chopped chilies and I think I will add some chopped jalapenos on the side for those who want a little more zing.

REORGANIZING THE BRK

Last week I started reorganizing Big Red Kitchen. We moved in 5 years ago and kinda just put stuff anywhere with a “Git’r Done” attitude. I think I could do a mile in my kitchen every night simply cooking dinner as things were just put willy-nilly. I am now starting to get it the way I want it. It will take some time to purge some not needed items, change shelf heights, and move the whole bloomin’ thing around. I now have all my spices in one place and can reach in there and pull something out with one hand while stirring something on the stove with the other. See those Indian spices down there in the bottom drawer? My friend Bobby is going to teach me how to cook Indian food next week. She will start with teaching me a traditional Indian breakfast.

ROAD TRIP TO NJ

Last weekend I went up to NJ to see my very dear friend Sara who used to be my roommate and was also my Maid of Honor. We had so much fun catching up until 3:30 in the morning last Saturday night. Wow I haven’t done that in years and boy did I ever feel it too! Above is a picture of the very famous Olga’s Dinner in South Jersey at the intersection of routes 70 and 73. I was shocked to see this landmark on sale. What no more Olga’s? I think every college kid has been dropped off there and picked up by their parents for years. I had even dropped Himself off there to be picked up by some Army buddies to bring him back to Bragg. It was a real popular meeting place for many. So sad.

So that is what is going on here. I will have to keep you posted about how the BRK comes out once it is all put back together. Have a great weekend.

Related Posts:
Cook The Blog

How to Tie Dye Sugar Cookie Bars

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Suzy
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 1:02 AM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the cookie bars. They look so nice and pink! Pink Iced cookies are a popular regional thing here in the Seattle area. You see them at all the coffee shops. I’m imagining something like that but in a bar.

I reorganized my spices last weekend too but I don’t have enough drawers to arrange them like that!

2. avatar noble pig
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 3:30 AM | Permalink

That is a brilliant cookie bar recipe. I love the pink frosting too.

3. avatar Denise in PA
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 9:21 AM | Permalink

Looking forward to some Indian recipes – I hope?!!! Olga’s is for sale???? We’ll be passing by on our way to the Shore next weekend – that IS sad!! I didn’t know.

4. avatar Dawn
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

well you know how it goes, once you've made something I want to make then it's my turn to make it. LOL
    I miss the diners in pa & nj (hubbys from philly). Some of the best greasy, comforting food, filling food around. Hands down.

5. avatar Sara
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 11:53 AM | Permalink

Those cookie bars look amazing! We’ve lived in our house for about 4.5 years, and in that time I think I’ve reorganized the kitchen three times :)

6. avatar Elyse
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Mmm, Robin Sue, everything looks delicious! Especially those sugar cookie bars (you know I have a sweet tooth). I really need to make some of those; I’ve seen them around, and there’s really no excuse for putting it off any longer.

7. avatar That Girl
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

I’m always waging such a war with sugar cookies – bars are probably the way to go for me.

8. avatar katie
    Posted 04/04/2009 at 7:08 PM | Permalink

Wow, both of those look delicious! I am not usually a cookie bar fan (too dense, too dry) but those look really good, and I love the color of the icing.

9. avatar Annemarie
    Posted 04/05/2009 at 1:48 AM | Permalink

Glad you like the sugar cookie bars! Thay have been a family favorite!

I made (and blogged about) your cream cheese sheet cake…YUM! I have to say it has taken over as the new family favorite!!

10. avatar Grace
    Posted 04/05/2009 at 11:38 AM | Permalink

lilac icing! i love it–it’s the perfect hue for a springtime treat!

11. avatar Sheila
    Posted 04/05/2009 at 11:54 PM | Permalink

I love sugar cookies but hate the process of making them; this sounds like a happy medium. Can’t wait to read about what Bobby teaches you to make!

12. avatar unconfidentialcook
    Posted 04/06/2009 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

Love that pink frosting…I bet it’s good, too!

13. avatar Nicole
    Posted 04/07/2009 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Wow… to have my spices look that organized. Of course my son pulls them onto the floor a few times a week… so nothing is ever in the same place!

14. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 07/15/2009 at 5:52 AM | Permalink
  15. avatar herana
    Posted 04/08/2010 at 8:47 PM | Permalink

It is so lucky that i come here accidently, the aundant resources makes me excited,thank you!
    By Jordan Sneaker

16. avatar lisa g
    Posted 07/05/2012 at 3:37 PM | Permalink

The Sugar Cookie Bars recipe is not available! I clicked the link you provided & it takes you to a page to be redirected. I choose to be redirected & once there it said…sorry no recipe posted here. PlEASE help as i want the recipe. Thanks!

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 07/05/2012 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Hi Lisa, I fixed the link and added one at the bottom of the post on how to Tie Dye sugar cookie bars. Enjoy!
      Thank you!