Jack and Jill Baby Shower Appetizers

Let’s start at the very beginning. A very good place to start. When you read you begin with A-B-C. When you sing you begin with do-re-mi. When you eat you begin with ap-pe-ti-zers, ap-pe-ti-zers. Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-yummy. I think appetizers set the stage for the rest of the meal. They are the first thing everyone eats, they are the ice breaker of the night, they are fast breakers since my guests had not eaten since lunch 7 hours prior. So for this shower the appetizers had to be good plus manly since the “Jacks” were invited.

On the left is Pepperoni Dip which I bring everywhere with me. Everyone wants the recipe. I got it from my friend Rindy many years ago and I can’t even count how many times I have made this dip. Funny thing happened the other day. I was talking to my friend Bobby and she said that she makes Sheila’s Pepperoni Dip all the time when she has company. I laughed at how that recipe has really gotten around from Rindy to me to Sheila to Bobby and back to me again and now to you! On the right is Spinach Artichoke Dip which is so cheesy and delicious. My warming tray kept these dips at the right gooey temperature.

I don’t know where it gets its cute little name but the Hocus Pocus Dip was brought by Tess, one of the Texan gals at the firm who knew this Texi-Mexi, spicy, smokey dip would be a hit with our group. All the dips were enjoyed by all and will be repeats at future office events. I hope.

Pepperoni Dip
6 ounce package Hormel’s Turkey Pepperoni*
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Celery soup

In a food processor finely chop pepperoni. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until creamy and smooth. Pour into microwave proof bowl and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Stir and serve with a sliced baguette. Any chip works well too.

*Note- Regular pepperoni is too greasy for this dip, trust me.

Spinach and Artichoke Dip
1– 10 ounce package chopped spinach, drained well (squeeze as much liquid out as possible)
8 ounces sour cream
1 jar artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and chopped*
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 package (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan or Pecorino cheese

In a microwave safe bowl mix all ingredients until well blended. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir well and microwave one more minute or until mixture is hot and cheeses are melted. Serve with long, soft French loaf, sliced.

*Note- I have discovered using a jar of artichoke spread (I got mine from Harris Teeters in the bakery section) makes this the tastiest of dips.

Hocus Pocus Dip by Tess
2-8oz. pkgs Cream Cheese – Softened
1-cup Salsa (I use mild)
1-bunch finely chopped green onions
1-jar dried beef-finely chopped
chili powder to taste
Mix and Eat!

To be continued…

Related Posts:
Jack and Jill Baby Shower
Jack and Jill Baby Shower Dinner
Jack and Jill Baby Shower Dessert

Speaking of Rindy…today is her Birthday!!!! Happy Birthday dear friend!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Peter M
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 6:53 AM | Permalink

LOL…do-ray-me…I’m hungry, give me Rindy’s recipes to me,
    TOUTE SUITE!

Love the names of these dips…that pepperoni one sounds yum!

2. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

Thank you Robin for “Showering” me with Birthday wishes! What a fun night you made for everyone!

3. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

Those all look so yummy. Keep the recipes comin’. I love Rindy’s dip and can’t wait to try the Hocus Pocus dip. Sounds perfect for cinco d’mayo.

4. avatar Sheila
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 8:42 AM | Permalink

I love the pepperoni dip; that is so funny that Bobby called it Sheila’s dip. Just goes to show that I make just about anything you have made for us or put up here on this blog. I think I will bring these three to church on Sunday for our fellowship. Yum, yum, yum!

5. avatar Sara
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 9:00 AM | Permalink

All of the dips sound great! I’m especially intrigued by that pepperoni dip.

6. avatar Lisa
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 10:17 AM | Permalink

I would never think to use cream of celery soup in a dip. They look delicious!

7. avatar Karen
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

It’s nice to have something like the pepperoni dip that you can just whip up and take wherever where it will be a hit. Looks like you had a great spread at the shower!

8. avatar noble pig
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

Wow my peppperoni dip is completely different. I’ll have to try this version though! Thanks!

9. avatar Larissa
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Any party that serves spinach artichoke dip is a winner in my book!

10. avatar Netts Nook
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 1:35 PM | Permalink

Looks like my kind of a party hope Jack and Jill down fall down. Bookmark this one.

11. avatar Jeff
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 1:52 PM | Permalink

For some reason I always end up with a ton of pepperoni and zero use for it. I am going to have to remember this dip.

Hocus Pocus dip in front of me would be gone quicker than a magician could wave his cheesy wand.

12. avatar thenotsoskinnykitchen
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 4:43 PM | Permalink

Those dips look awesome! I am definitely bookmarking these recipes for our next party.

13. avatar Linda
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 8:18 PM | Permalink

I am the appetizer queen when I go to parties! Everyone always wants me to bing them because I love to make the fun starters. I have done the spinach artichoke, but I love the other two. Thanks for givin me some new material!! :-)

14. avatar unconfidential cook
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 8:50 PM | Permalink

My new thing is to use dips as spreads on sandwiches….

15. avatar That Girl
    Posted 04/28/2009 at 11:42 PM | Permalink

It’s funny, I was never a dip person, until I started needing to bring something to parties that was easy – now I’m a huge fan.

16. avatar Elyse
    Posted 04/29/2009 at 2:45 AM | Permalink

Fabulous, Robin Sue! Hope everyone had fun at the shower–including the manly Jacks :) The pepperoni dip is totally calling my name. How unique and wonderful!

17. avatar Grace
    Posted 04/29/2009 at 6:12 AM | Permalink

it’s pretty obvious why you take that dip with you everywhere–it couldn’t be better! i personally love dips–my chips/crackers/veggies/etc are always loaded to the point of breaking. :)
    meanwhile, do-re-mi will be in my head the rest of the day. :)

18. avatar biz319
    Posted 04/30/2009 at 1:30 PM | Permalink

I am definitely going to try the pepperoni dip – so weird with the celery soup!!

Everything looks amazing!

19. avatar Nicole
    Posted 05/17/2009 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Wow! Fun party. Everything looks so good! Where DO you find the time? And as for appetizers… My family sometimes omits the main course as the appetizers are STARS in our opinion!

“When you know the [foods you like], you can [cook] most anything!”