All About Chocolate Covered Strawberries

The Chocolate Covered Strawberry is hands down my favorite dessert. Back in high school, the boy across the street wanted me to drive him to school each day. I really did not want to be bothered until he said he would pay me in chocolate covered strawberries. That quickly got my attention and I agreed. Dang how did he know? My children know that this is a favorite and have been warned that if I do not find chocolate covered strawberries in heaven when I die, I will come back and do a big grocery shopping before returning back to heaven. So that I could start my own business up there, you know.

PREPARING YOUR STRAWBERRIES
The trick to successfully covering strawberries in chocolate is to purchase the freshest strawberries without defects, be sure they are at room temperature before dipping, and must be completely dried as well. Any moisture on the strawberries will cause your chocolate to seize nor will the chocolate adhere to the strawberry very well. I gently wash my berries and pour them out over a towel then individually dry each one with a dry paper towel.

TEMPERING YOUR CHOCOLATE

Carefully temper your chocolate and do not scorch it or the taste will be ruined. Also do not get the chocolate too hot or it will bloom- that means forming white streaks on the chocolate. It is best to temper your chocolate over a double boiler to control the amount of heat applied. Think low and slow. Plus do not get steam into your chocolate. Your chocolate must be in uniform sized pieces to ensure even melting. Melt it in small batches always adding more chocolate until you have the desired amount. Remove from heat and place the pan on a towel to dry up the water on the bottom. Remember- no water near your melted chocolate.

DIPPING YOUR STRAWBERRIES

Hold the strawberry carefully by the leaves and dip into the tempered chocolate. Gently shake excess chocolate off the berry. Place your dipped strawberries on waxed paper to set.

DECORATING YOUR STRAWBERRIES

Next, temper some white chocolate, just a small amount to decorate the berries. Place the tempered white chocolate in a cup and dip a fork into it. In a circular motion swirl the fork very quickly over the berries to make pretty designs. Continue until you have the desired effect. Another idea which needs to be done before the milk or dark chocolate is set, is sprinkle the strawberries with shredded coconut, chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, or toffee bits. Use your imagination with this!

STORING YOUR STRAWBERRIES

Leave your strawberries out at room temperature until they are set. It is best to make these right before the event in which you are serving them. They do not do well over night as the strawberry usually dehydrates, giving off moisture, and shrinking away from the chocolate. I place mine on a tray and cover, but not seal, with waxed paper until I am ready to serve them at my event. Leftovers can be stored loosely covered in the refrigerator but will not be very presentable. If you live in a very hot and humid area, you will need to store your berries, for a short time, in the refrigerator, loosely covered until your event.

WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE

Make bark! No matter how much chocolate I have leftover I like to spread it out over waxed paper to about 1/4 in thickness and sprinkle with various ingredients. This time I made red, white, and blue bark by topping the tempered chocolate with wild dried blueberries, dried cranberries, shredded coconut, and drizzled with white chocolate. Perfect for Memorial Day Weekend! I also poured out the leftover white chocolate and topped it with chopped up Peppermint Patties. Verra nice.

These Chocolate Covered Strawberries were for my neighbor’s 40th birthday party last night. And secretly and selfishly for my birthday today!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Melissa
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 7:37 AM | Permalink

I love chocolate covered strawberries. Yours look so yummy!

2. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 8:03 AM | Permalink

Happy Birthday Robin! I hope you ate a few for yourself. And what an awesome idea for the leftover chocolate. I love your red, white and blue bark.

3. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 8:24 AM | Permalink

It doesn’t get better than this! It’s a little easier to justify eating mass quantities of this dessert – since you are also getting some fruit – or at least that is what I tell myself!

4. avatar Shannon
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 9:17 AM | Permalink

Chocolate covered anything is alright in my book! My women’s Bible study just had our end-of-the-year event and we had a chocolate fountain! Pure bliss, I tell you!
    Happy Birthday, Robin Sue!!! Hope your day is blessed!!!

5. avatar Lucy
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 9:33 AM | Permalink

I'd have to agree, that it doesn't get any better than these chocolate cover strawberries… I wish I could reach in & have one or two ;-)

Just beautiful & oooh so tempting!

6. avatar scottnjoyce
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

Robin,
    Happy Birthday! I love the cute haircut–I wish I could find some “older” pictures of you with short hair–you still look the same.
    Could we go so far as to make the claim that choc covered strawberries keep you so young looking?! (Not that I need any more excuses to eat them!)
    Have a great day!!!
    Love,
    Joyce

7. avatar Karen
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 10:11 AM | Permalink

Happy Birthday Robin Sue! The strawberries look beautiful… they’re one of my favorites, too1

8. avatar Mari at Once Upon a Plate
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

Happy Birthday to you Robin Sue! Have a DELICIOUS day ~ and a wonderful year.

Your gorgeous strawberries are perfection on a plate! Excellent tutorial. :) xo~m.

9. avatar Dawn
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

Happy Birthday my dear!
    Jumbo strawberries are the best aren’t they? I mean they are just so sweet. Hard to come by over though.
    I never though to use a fork for the white chocolate drizzle. Thanks for that one!

10. avatar Peter M
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 11:06 AM | Permalink

R-Sue, you’re one talented gal…I would pay for these…is it Valentines yet?

11. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 11:52 AM | Permalink

These are beyond perfection. I’ve never tried my hand at dipping strawberries, but you make me want to have my own. Now. And the bark sounds awesome too.
    Happy birthday!!

12. avatar noble pig
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 12:11 PM | Permalink

What a birthday present for you! Have a wonderful day!

13. avatar That Girl
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 12:25 PM | Permalink

We have a hard time letting the chocolate cool. Usually the strawberry goes straight from the chocolate to the mouth.

14. avatar Grace
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 12:59 PM | Permalink

if nothing else, you certainly deserve your favorite dessert on your special day! great tips, gorgeous photos, stellar treats. happy birthday, robin sue!

15. avatar Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 2:00 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday Robin :)
    What a great way to treat yourself.. I love chocolate covered strawberries too, so I can totally understand.

16. avatar Juliana
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 2:29 PM | Permalink

Perfect! Perfect! Could not come out nicer. Love all the info that you have in the post. Great pictures as well. By the way, thank so much for visiting my site.

17. avatar Lisa
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 2:32 PM | Permalink

Lovely strawberries. Thanks for the chocolate tips. These make the perfect summer treat!

18. avatar My Sister's Kitchen
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 5:11 PM | Permalink

I was given a blog award and asked to pass it on to 15 other bloggers. I have enjoyed your blog and chosen you as one of them. You can get your award at my blog mysisterskitchen2009.blogspot.com. If you can pass it along to 15 other bloggers. Thanks

19. avatar Our goal is to let YOU, the customer know
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 6:48 PM | Permalink

I have been doing so good not eating any chocolate….now you have my mouth watering. Your strawberries look so good…

20. avatar Donna and Greg
    Posted 05/20/2009 at 7:48 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday!!!!! Hope you have had a great day! Strawberries and chocolate…a fruit and vegie (chocolate is a vegie…its made from beans!)

I’ll be visiting Bri’s tiki bar next week!!!

21. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 05/21/2009 at 11:42 AM | Permalink

I’m a terrible friend! Didn’t even call on your special day! Happy Birthday friend – hope the day was as special as you are!!!
    Much love!

22. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 05/21/2009 at 11:54 AM | Permalink

What a wonderful treat for your birthday! Happy Birthday!

23. avatar biz319
    Posted 05/21/2009 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday RobinSue!! Pretty sure those strawberries are insulin worthy! :D

24. avatar Kate
    Posted 05/21/2009 at 2:51 PM | Permalink

To kick it up a notch, a man I know used to dip and cool the berries, and then, dip a hypodermic needle or basting needle into wine or champagne or spirits, and just inject a tad into the center of the berry, near the stem. They macerate in their chocolate shell, to make a divine, boozy, berry.

25. avatar Elyse
    Posted 05/22/2009 at 1:55 AM | Permalink

Chocolate covered strawberries are your currency, huh? These look fantastic. If the strawberries the boy across the street brought you looked nearly as good as these, then it’s no wonder you agreed to drive him to school :) I think I need to go get myself some strawberries after reading this post.