Best Chocolate Chip Cookies and Other Things

Summertime is a perfect time to start trying out some of the recipes on your blogs that I have flagged. Last week I printed off a bunch and I am now here to tell you they were all great. I have always made Toll House’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe but no more! I was on Penny’s site Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen and found her new favorite chocolate chip cookie comes from non other than Cook’s Illustrated. So it must be good right? Yes, these cookies were fantastic with all that browned butter goodness, chewy in the middle, crispy on the outside, all the professional looking crackles, and a beautiful sheen on top. Pop on over to Penny’s for the recipe.

Here are some other great recipes I have tried:

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars
Kristen’s Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars from her site Le Petit Pierogi. I found this recipe through ThatGirl’s site, Paved With Good Intentions. Funny though, I did not have rhubarb or fresh strawberries so I had to think quick. I came up with using 1 1/4 cups of my Strawberry Freezer Jam in place of the fruit, this made the whole thing come together so fast! Everyone raved over these bars.

Banana Ice Cream
Then on to Ingrid’s 3 B’s- Baseball, Baking, and Books for her Banana Ice Cream Recipe. What I liked about this recipe is that I did have 2 very ripe bananas waiting to made wonderful again. Also this is a no cook recipe and came together in a snap. This ice ream is very creamy and went perfectly with my Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce.

Grilling

Our gas grill died a few years ago and we have been without a grill since then, other than my cook top grill; not the same though. So I got this UniFlame Charcoal Grill from Walmart for 40 bucks then rebuilt the inside with Weber Parts for another $30, which still brings me below half price of the Weber equivalent. Pretty good. Last night we had our first meal on the grill: Three Day Chicken, Rice Pilaf, and Roasted Cauliflower. Delicious. Love that charcoal flavor. Then we roasted s’mores for dessert! The best.
*Notice My hanging upside down tomato plant- we’ll see if this works!

Beer Tasting Dinner

Last week Himself and I went to DC’s famous Brasserie Beck for Global Beer’s Beer Tasting Dinner. They were highlighting beers from Brasserie de Silly. If you have never been to a beer tasting, you must. It is a great opportunity to meet other beer enthusiasts, foodies, chefs, distributors, as well as eat delicious foods with the most perfect beer pairings.

Summer Reading

I am reading Inkheart to my children.

I am reading Run with the Horsemen.

With one week off of school you can see that the House of BRK has been busy. What have you been up to lately?

Don’t forget the KitchenAid Ice Cream Attachment so that you too can make Ingrid’s Banana Ice Cream!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar JoAnn
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Just poking my nose in here when I "smelled" cookies…
    They look fabulous!

Thanks also for the link for the Strawberry/Rhubarb bars. I have a large patch of rhubarb in my backyard, and I'm always up for a new recipe. I think the strawberries in our area are ready for picking, so the timing is perfect.

While digging around your site, I also found the recipe for 3 Day Chicken – YUM! Gotta try this one too.

Now I just have to stop at the grocery store on my way home….

2. avatar Maria
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

We just bought a new grill and are loving it! The cookies look good, I love that recipe!

3. avatar unconfidentialcook
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 11:49 AM | Permalink

I am making your Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce. As my daughter would say…a spoonful of heaven!

4. avatar Melissa
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 12:21 PM | Permalink

The banana ice cream sounds yummy and those cookies look delish! :)

5. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 12:37 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, I have a topsy turvey too, mine pretty much looks like yours right now, just some leaves. I can't wait to see when something happens!

I have to make those cookies. I was going to make cookies last night but it was so hot out I decided not to. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. avatar Debbie
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 1:04 PM | Permalink

I have been walking, walking, walking…getting ready for a 3day breast cancer walk.
    AND.. am leaving for Connecticut on Friday to see my new grandbabies (twins)…where I will be making your cookies (whew..that was a lot to say) LOL

7. avatar Penny
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 2:52 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, Thanks for blogging about my new favorite Choc. chip cookies. My blog counter went crazy and I thought "what's up with that? Lots of people came over. Glad you loved them as much as I did.

8. avatar foodcreate
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

Your cookies are so Delicious ….Perfect for Summer Camping.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful Cookies!

Have a Wonderful Tuesday~

9. avatar EAT!
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 3:00 PM | Permalink

I think we are more busy this week now that school is out – go figure.

Thanks for all the ideas. I have a couple on my menu for the the upcoming weeks.

10. avatar biz319
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 3:03 PM | Permalink

Cook's Illustrated is my go to for most recipes – since they test them so many times, they have to be perfect!

I started my tomato in a pot, and when I transferred it to the topsy tervy, I think I killed it!

I'll have to check out that book you are reading – love reading outiside in the summer – although its mostly magazines I read! :D

11. avatar Grace
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

great cookies, robin sue–i was just telling a friend that i like my cookies crispy. if i wanted something cakey, i'd eat cake. :)

12. avatar Sheila
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 3:53 PM | Permalink

I will trust you and make this recipe; I find it very tough to get just the right one.

Beer tasting, I have never heard of one of these. Robert would love that; he enjoys beer but doesn't always indulge. Have to do this soon.

Inkheart was well enjoyed by my children independently, and I think there is a movie of it now.

We are just busy with swim team (all day it seems).

13. avatar Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 4:31 PM | Permalink

The cookies sure look great!! How I wish I had one!

14. avatar tamilyn
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

I'm following that link for the cookies-Yum!

Dude wants to try one of those topsy turvey things-let us know how they turn out :0

15. avatar That Girl
    Posted 06/23/2009 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

they do beer tasting dinners by me and I've always been dying to go to one.

16. avatar noble pig
    Posted 06/24/2009 at 11:19 AM | Permalink

You are my go to summer guide right now! I mean seriously…I love all your little links!

17. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 06/24/2009 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

Hey, thanks for the shout out! I have some bananas that are past their prime and am going to give them new life in ice cream with your peanut butter fudge sauce. YUM!

I don't know about you but my three are keeping me even busier. I thought I'd be able to catch my breath.
    ~ingrid

18. avatar Larissa
    Posted 06/24/2009 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

I can't resist trying out "the perfect" chocolate chip cookie recipe, no matter how many I come across.

Also, I loved Inkheart! What a great book to read to your kids.

19. avatar Peter M
    Posted 06/25/2009 at 11:05 AM | Permalink

You definitely hit the mark with the photo of the cookies…me want cookies and milk NOW!

20. avatar gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted 06/25/2009 at 8:01 PM | Permalink

Oh, those look wonderful! We are so on the same wavelength … going for chocolate chip cookies with brown sugary buttery goodness and chewiness and crispiness. I was just tweeting that all ours are gone though. ;-) Must check out Penny's site and find this recipe to try … and all the other ones you've shared here, too.

Glad the beer tasting was fun. Those dishes look delectable!

Congrats on the new grill!

Shirley

21. avatar sheppy
    Posted 06/26/2009 at 8:24 AM | Permalink

Can't wait to try those chocolate chip cookies, especially since I found out that I can't use regular French flour to make American recipes.

Thanks also for your comment on my Wreck my Journal post; I'm sure your son would love the original book (my kids are just to lazy to try and read in English)!

E

22. avatar Sippity Sup
    Posted 06/26/2009 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

a new chocolate chip recipe is just the incentive I need to get baking. Thanks GREG