Peanut-Butter-Cream Saltines

When I travelled to Texas to visit my Mammy, she and I were often found in front of game shows, it was our thing. We started the day with The Price is Right then on to the Gong Show and somewhere in there was Wheel of Fortune. Do you remember the old WOF shows when the contestant would have a bank account of money and would “purchase” items from the showroom as their prizes? Mammy and I thought that most of the stuff was junk, especially some of those statues that they would try to pawn off on some poor schmoe. We loved the last word and after given the letters “R-S-T-L-N-E” and the clue “Before and After,” “Thing,” or “Person” Mammy and I would think like crazy about the word.

Well this little treat is a “Before and After” word: Peanut Butter/Butter Cream Saltines or Peanut Butter Cream Saltines. I had read a post on Serious Eats a while back about another food blogger, Logan of Boots in the Oven’s secret snack indulgence: frosting and saltines. What a great use of leftover frosting, I thought to myself. I had some leftover frosting hanging out in my fridge and thought to give it a try. The crunchy, creamy snack is a perfect blend of salty-sweet reminding me of sugar wafers or even Vienna Fingers. Then I thought, what if I added peanut butter to the cracker as well?

Now it becomes a creamier, more decadent version of a Nutter Butter cookie. Give it a try when you have leftover frosting and need a sinful little snack. Just don’t eat these under the covers, they’re quite crumbly.

Peanut Butter Cream Saltines
Peanut Butter of choice
Leftover Butter Cream Frosting of choice
Saltine Crackers

Spread the inside of a Saltine with peanut butter. Spread a second Saltine, on the inside, with butter cream frosting. Smoosh the crackers together and enjoy. Make as many as you would like.

Note- When Himself was in the Army, I would make him Peanut Butter Crackers by spreading Ritz Crackers with peanut butter. He was amazed that I had made sure each cracker sandwich was made with the outside of each cracker on the outside. It’s the simple things, right?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Kelly
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 7:46 AM | Permalink

I never thought to use saltines. I sometimes use leftover frosting sandwiched between graham crackers. They're better made ahead of time so the crackers soften up a bit. I would make a batch ahead and put one or two in my lunch. Mmm, so bad, yet so good. :) I love the idea of adding PB.

2. avatar EAT!
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 9:02 AM | Permalink

Crazy good snack. I still pack pb and j crackers for 2 of my 3 kids lunches every day. No one wants me to deviate.

And why wouldn't you make sure the outside of the Ritz was on the outside? :) Gotta make some happy cracker sandwiches.

3. avatar Katherine and David
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 9:37 AM | Permalink

Yum. Can't wait to try it with a chocolate frosting!

4. avatar amy grace
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

i would always eat leftover chocolate frosting on toast. so good and so melty. never thought to use crackers…probably because we didn't have them (we always had bread, though). mmmm

5. avatar Mrsblocko
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

Holey moley rocky! This sounds delicious. I usually eat my leftover frosting sandwiched between 2 chocolate chip cookies. (if you're gonna be sinful why not go for broke.) I never thought about crackers or adding peanut butter!

My daughter loves pb crackers for lunch. We call them peanut butter worm sandwiches. When the crackers are still crisp and you bite into them little "worms" of peanut butter squeeze out of the holes in the cracker. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth so I could have all the pb frosting crackers to myself! Ok, maybe I'd share with the Mr. ;)

6. avatar KJ
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 10:37 AM | Permalink

Simple and yet divine…I am so going to try these.

(Although I had to laugh as I was reading and drooling over the little squares the ad for "trim your belly fat" popped up.) Hmmmmm. I have to assume these little square dreams will not do that. HA!

7. avatar noble pig
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 11:13 AM | Permalink

Oh my word I have leftover frosting in the fridge. I'm done for.

8. avatar Fallon
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 11:24 AM | Permalink

hahah now I'm going to start to purposely leave leftover frosting!

9. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

Oh my gosh, Robin Sue, you are bringing back some of my favorite memories of being at camp w/ my grandpa. Our very favorite thing was when we would come in from snowmobiling or blackberry picking and Grandpa would reach for a sleeve of saltines and a can of frosting. Makes me smile just to think about it. I still do it to this day whenever I have leftover frosting. Yum yum yum!!!
    ~Michelle

10. avatar Grace
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 12:39 PM | Permalink

egads, robin sue! i LOVE peanut butter crackers–they've been a complete meal for me before. adding in buttercream frosting is a RIDICULOUS and FABULOUS idea, and i love you for introducing me to it!

11. avatar Lisa
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 2:30 PM | Permalink

What fun! I love your story and your crackers. What's with men and peanut butter crackers anyway? It's not that they aren't great or anything but the boyish pleasure that comes out when faced with a simple cracker smeared with peanut butter is quite endearing. That addition of butter cream is a stroke of genius. Even marshmallow cream from the jar would do in a pinch. Simple enough to bring out the kid in all of us.

12. avatar That Girl
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

There's not a single redeeming quality about this snack – LOVE IT!

13. avatar Sheila
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 5:10 PM | Permalink

I guess I won't throw out that last bit of frosting anymore. I actually have some butter cream frosting I made back on the 4th just sitting there waiting for something like peanut butter:)

14. avatar Dianna
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 9:58 PM | Permalink

I never thought of saltines. Great idea. I always go for the graham crackers with frosting. When I have a lot of them I put them in the freezer. Try frozen graham crackers with frosting sometime. So good, I promise!

15. avatar Stephanie
    Posted 07/24/2009 at 10:40 PM | Permalink

We make a version of these when we camp. Saltines, peanut butter and a roasted marshmellow — we call them salty dogs.

16. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 07/25/2009 at 4:05 AM | Permalink

That's a great idea! and adding PB just makes it better!

17. avatar bakingblonde
    Posted 07/25/2009 at 8:55 AM | Permalink

I love to swirl PB and cream cheese or frosting on saltines or graham crackers for a quick snack. Ah, PB makes everything better!

18. avatar Boots in the Oven
    Posted 07/25/2009 at 1:13 PM | Permalink

I'm so glad you liked one of Logan's favorite snacks! He did his with some cream cheese frosting left over from cupcake-making. It's a good thing he only had a little left, because I know I ate more than my fair share of the things! Thanks for linking to us!

Rachel

19. avatar Andrew's Mom
    Posted 07/26/2009 at 8:59 AM | Permalink

In grade school (Catholic) for lunch sometimes the dessert would be frosting between two graham crackers! I remember the prizes too the horrific statues and sometimes ugly furniture. Too funny.

20. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 07/26/2009 at 3:08 PM | Permalink

Aww…your Mammy sounds just like my Nannie (my mother's mother). She would come down from the Alabama border to watch me if I was sick for a few days. We'd watch The Newlywed Game and the Price is Right and then she'd watch As the World Turns as I dozed on the couch. We'd eat saltines spread with margarine, and drink coke with a slice of lemon in it.

Your peanut butter cream crackers sound sinful — might be even better with some Nutella? Or would that be just way over the top?

21. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 07/27/2009 at 1:58 PM | Permalink

I never would have thought of that combo in a million years, now I can't wait to try it!!!

22. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 07/27/2009 at 2:22 PM | Permalink

Ok, so I have been spreading peanut butter on saltines for snacks lately and now your giving me new ideas (that I probably should forget. lol)

23. avatar Juliana
    Posted 07/27/2009 at 6:10 PM | Permalink

Like the simplicity and the story behind it :-) Looks yummie!

24. avatar Cyn
    Posted 07/28/2009 at 12:04 AM | Permalink

wonderful snack!

25. avatar figtree
    Posted 07/28/2009 at 6:28 AM | Permalink

I will never make these as I know they will become a terrible addiction that I will never break. Im still trying to kick my 10 pm spoonfulls of nutella and peanut butter! They look too good!Figtreeapps