Anything from portion cups, take out containers, and diner style baskets can be spotted on my posts and often cause readers to ask where I purchase these specialty items. Well ask no more! Rindy, her mom Bobi of Bobi’s Bites, and I, way back before school was out, made a big shopping trip to Restaurant Depot in Alexandria, VA. Trips to RD are always coordinated between some friends and I to travel together so that we may split cases of certain items.
You can see that Rindy and I always get into mischief. You may also see in my left hand that I travel to RD with my pocket knife, a very useful tool in this type of store. We also bring boxes, coolers, sweaters, and wear sneakers. Every time I go I am better prepared.
The shelves are huge and piled high. The men on fork-lifts show no mercy and honk ruthlessly until you get out of their way. When I bring my children, I have to sign a waiver saying I won’t sue RD if my children get hurt- it is a very dangerous place for children! They stay at home now. Since it was Bobi’s first time, she was initiated by having to push the very heavy wheelie cart. He-he.
The parking lot is filled with gut trucks or roach coaches. Someday I would love to own a taco truck but mine will be pink and green and I will wear Daisy Duke shorts, a push-up bra, and long flowing locks, sell cute cupcakes, Italian meatball sandwiches, and healthy little salads…oh wait, scratch the salads, healthy items may scare away the customers.
Here are some of the things I use from RD.
1. Straws- shakes, chocolate milk, root beer floats
2. Wax paper sheets- layering tortillas, wrapping lunches, lining baskets or bowls
3. Foil sheets- wrapping hot sandwiches
4. Styrofoam meat trays- making cookie platters, great for dessert gift platters
5. Paper baskets- for small meals like sandwich and chips. I get sizes 500 and 50. The 50′s are great for desserts.
6. Wax bags- wrapping sandwiches, trail mix, chips
7. Plastic diner-style baskets- for novelty dinners like fish and chips
8. 9 ounce plastic punch cups- great for parties and wrapping cupcakes!
9. Softspoon- I pick up 2 every time I go
10. Various sized portion cups with lids- great for packing lunches
11. Tasting spoons- love, love, love these. For lunches and little bites.
12. Three compartment dinner tray with lids- when I have to bring a meal for an elderly or widowed neighbor, these are what I use. Great for freezing leftovers too.
13. Bamboo skewers- kebabs
14. Umbrellas- for fancy drinks, to top cupcakes to keep the plastic wrap from sticking, even for the children’s milk!
15. Large take-out containers- Sending cookies to work, neighbors, or friends. Leftovers for company to take home
16. Sword picks- Drinks, sandwiches, snacks, Barbie Doll vs. GI Joe duels
What do you like to get at your local restaurant supply store?