Bulgogi Tacos with Spicy Slaw

Pairs well with Augustijn
For the rest of the Pack:
BREUGEL- Roasted Chick Peas
PIRAAT- Pork Tenderloin with Apple Arugula Salad
BORNEM TRIPLE- Citrus Alaska Cod with Tahini Drizzle
BORNEM DOUBLE- Pasta Bolognese
GULDEN DRAAK- Knock You Naked Brownies

My little girl Daelyn was thrilled that Momma made Korean food. I think it is the first time that I have made a Korean recipe and it is about time I add some Korean dishes to our dinner rotation. When I came across Bulgogi Tacos with Spicy Slaw I knew this would be a quick and easy dish for a busy weeknight meal. Serious Eats highlights some delicious recipes and does a great job with giving us very simple and flavorful dishes, this is one of them. I like the versatility, frugality, and speediness of working with ground beef. I can buy it in bulk from Costco and make a range of international dishes and now I can add Asian to the list.

The meat is the same wonderful Bulgolgi flavor I remember from Korea and the spicy-sweet slaw gives a great crunchy texture to the taco. When you need a quick meal with big flavor, try this one.

Bulgogi Tacos with Spicy Slaw- adapted from Serious Eats

1 t. garlic paste
1/2 t. ginger paste
1 T. brown sugar
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 t. toasted sesame seeds

8 flour tortillas

Sprinkle the salt on the cabbage and toss. Let stand for 20 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, add the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, brown sugar, mirin and black pepper, ground beef, shallot, and scallions then mix gently until the all ingredients are incorporated into the meat. Rinse the slaw in a fine mesh sieve very well and drain well. Place in a bowl and add the fish sauce, vinegar, chile flakes, garlic, ginger, sugar, scallions and sesame seeds. Stir well. Refrigerate until ready to serve. In a large skillet cook meat until brown, drain excess liquid. Readjust salt if necessary. Serve meat and slaw in warmed flour tortillas. This would also be good in large lettuce leaves.

Note- Purchased from an Asian market, I used garlic and ginger paste to save a bit of time. It is also best to make the slaw ahead of time to let the flavors marry.

Here is Little Dae-Dae enjoying her apple during our apple picking adventure with her Nonni and Papa.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Penny
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 7:15 AM | Permalink

Dae-Dae is darling! Beautiful picture. I love the sound of these tacos; all the flavors I love and easy too. My DIL will love these too.

2. avatar unconfidentialcook
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 10:32 AM | Permalink

Adorable!!! And, I love those tacos, ANY tacos!

3. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

a) she's adorable, b) really good flavors going in this dish and c) I'm crazy about the fact that you tied it together with a scallion.

4. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 11:14 AM | Permalink

My neighbor is from South Korea and largely cooks Korean dishes. My son's forever telling me about all the new things he tries when he's at her house with her son. For some reason, she can get him to try anything Korean, but I can't get him to try new dishes I make at home. Darn kid.

5. avatar biz319
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 11:40 AM | Permalink

Your daughter is gorgeous, as always! Love the combination of flavors in this dish! :D

6. avatar Lisa
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 12:31 PM | Permalink

These look great as I love tacos with slaw. Adorable picture!

7. avatar Karen
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 12:35 PM | Permalink

Mmm, I like the flavors in this and we're all about -anything in a tortilla- around here! Daelyn is gorgeous :)

8. avatar Maria
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

I am loving that slaw! She is gorgeous!

9. avatar Grace
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 7:01 PM | Permalink

what. a. doll. she's adorable! i'm not very well-versed on korean food, but this looks pretty darn tasty to me!

10. avatar Sheila
    Posted 09/22/2009 at 9:51 PM | Permalink

My children love Korean food and Adam has even made Bolgogi (howeveryouspellit). I'll have to make this as a special treat for him.

11. avatar noble pig
    Posted 09/23/2009 at 12:40 AM | Permalink

Oh how I love tacos but this is new to me…love it!

12. avatar Lori
    Posted 09/23/2009 at 9:02 PM | Permalink

This sounds absolutely delicious and I love the quickenss of it. Goodness Robin Sue- she is a beautiful girl.

13. avatar Barbara
    Posted 09/25/2009 at 7:33 AM | Permalink

Great idea-slaw for tacos! They look delicious. And what an adorable little girl!

14. avatar Trish
    Posted 09/25/2009 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love this recipe you posted here…sounds so delicious and your presented it so very beautifully. Your daughter is gorgeous. What a great picture of her. I took the opportunity this morning to browse your site and you have a great little place here. I shall be back :o )….for now…off to work!

15. avatar Michelle
    Posted 09/25/2009 at 11:05 AM | Permalink

Yummy and interesting recipe! I have never tried a Korean recipe before, I think I need to do some research!

16. avatar Lori Lynn
    Posted 09/25/2009 at 6:51 PM | Permalink

Great interesting twist on tacos!
    She is a doll.
    LL

17. avatar Kevin
    Posted 09/26/2009 at 2:27 PM | Permalink

That looks really good! I have been enjoying experimenting with Korean foods and flavours recently.

18. avatar TJ
    Posted 10/05/2009 at 1:10 AM | Permalink

My family loves bulgogi. I've never heard of mirin,though. What is it and where do I get it? Would rice wine vinegar be a good substitute? Thanks.

19. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 10/05/2009 at 7:42 AM | Permalink

TJ- Mirin is a sweet rice wine with low alcohol content that can be found in the Asian isle at your grocery store near the soy sauce. Hope this helps- Enjoy!!

20. avatar Crissy
    Posted 12/29/2010 at 5:30 PM | Permalink

I've been making traditional bulgogi (and several other Korean dishes) for years and never thought to simplify it with ground beef. BRILLIANT!