Where Was Robin Sue?

I was missing in action over a long weekend last week. My parents were gracious enough to watch our children so that I could attend a business retreat with Himself down in the Florida Keys. Himself is a Financial Life Planner and this retreat was designed to reconnect his Life Planning study group, update their case studies, catch up on each other’s lives, and make firm plans as how to move forward in living their own dreams as well as helping their clients achieve theirs. I was welcomed into this group as if I were one of them and enjoyed their company immensely. Our hosts were the most gracious people I have ever met and I hope to see them again soon!

The view from our balcony.

While the group worked on confidential case studies my Life Planner’s husband Tim and I escaped to Key West all the way at the end of Route 1. We walked the famous and lively Duval Street, ate at Sloppy Joe’s, which does make the best Sloppy Joe’s in the world, and did a little shopping and site-seeing.

Here are some Carpentaria Palm Trees with pretty red berries.

We dined on the water one day at The Hungry Tarpon and enjoyed watching the pelicans eat their own lunch.

I had the Matecumbe Sandwich which is blackened fish with bacon, lettuce, tomato, melted provolone cheese, and thousand island dressing on grilled sourdough bread. The fish had been caught that morning!

The trip was a welcomed break for me, I needed it.

Not so much a retreat but a reload- nice people and warm places do that to me.

More Travel Articles:
The White House Christmas Tour
Boston’s Italian North End

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar thw domestic mama
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 7:26 AM | Permalink

oh my… you were just a few hours from me! I am right up I95 a bit! Nice time of year for the keys…next time you go… Crossaints De France and La Trattoria are great places to chomp, too!

2. avatar EAT!
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 9:23 AM | Permalink

I have not been to the Keys yet but it is on my bucket list. I will live vicariously through you for a while…..

3. avatar Dolce
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

I went to Key West a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving and loved it… except the fact that somehow we ended up in a gay friendly hotel and the swimming pool area had a rule that said that swim suits were, hum, optional… So we ended up not using the swimming pool and visiting much more that we thought we would in the first place!!

4. avatar alanna rose
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

We had a lovely weekend in Ohio – but it was nothing like being in Key West! Lucky girl!
    Thanks for the great pictures :)

5. avatar Dawn
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

oh lucky little you.
    I haven't been to sloppy joes in decades.
    you have a sweater on, was it cool then?

6. avatar Grace
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

a place called sloppy joe's? awesome! i'm so jealous of your sun-filled excursion, but i'm sure you deserved a break. welcome back!

7. avatar Anita
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 12:19 PM | Permalink

I love the Keys…I'm sure it was a very relaxing, enjoyable time for you! I really enjoy your blog….and today I am enjoying your haircut! I need a new style and I am liking yours…post a closeup!

8. avatar Sophie
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 3:30 PM | Permalink

I am glad that you had your little break! We need to have that from time to time,..

I am glad that you enjoyed it so!

9. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 5:38 PM | Permalink

When we went to Key West, we went deep sea fishing and took our catches to a local restaurant to be prepared. It was the best mahi mahi I have ever had. Glad you had fun

10. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

Great photos. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend and I'm glad we were able to accommodate you with good weather!.

11. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 6:50 PM | Permalink

How nice to go somewhere warm!

I love the pictures!

12. avatar Lori
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 10:55 PM | Permalink

What a great getaway! Completely refreshing.

13. avatar Sheila
    Posted 11/19/2009 at 10:58 PM | Permalink

How gorgeous. . . I wish I could be there now, enjoying the warmth and the food!

14. avatar noble pig
    Posted 11/22/2009 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

I have always wanted to go there, so beautiful and well desreved for you!

15. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 11/22/2009 at 8:18 PM | Permalink

You were in my neck of the woods…sorta! I'm in FL though I'm in Central FL between Mickey and the Daytona Beach.
    ~ingrid