Apple Pie Enchiladas

We have been talking about dreams a lot around here lately. Not the kind we get while sleeping, but life dreams. Himself being a Financial Life Planner has taken some of his clients through the Life Planning Process in order to help them achieve their dreams. Having gone through the process myself, I noticed that certain daily tasks bring me closer to my dreams, while others keep me from them. In this process I took a Kolbe test and was told flat out that I should not be doing our laundry. Hot dog! No more laundry for me. Sadly Himself was told the same thing. This entire Life Planning process has helped me see that the things I am good at are the things I should be focusing on and everything else, well, I need to avoid spending too much energy on them or find someone else to do them for me. I am good at mothering, being a wife, teaching, and cooking. I am not good at house-keeping, paying bills, or putting things back where they belong.

I have identified my dreams and now I am in the process of overcoming obstacles that keep me from achieving them and trying to figure out ways to delegate the tasks that hinder me. So what is the point of all this? I am going to stick with what I am good at and give you this double-d-licious recipe in hopes that you will do my laundry.

Apple Pie Enchiladas
1 can apple pie filling
cinnamon for sprinkling
6 eight inch flour tortillas, the freshest possible
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring butter, water, and sugars to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. In the meantime, open the can of apples and run a knife through them to cut that apples into smaller chunks. Spread 1/3 cup filling down the center of each tortilla and sprinkle generously with cinnamon. Roll each tortilla and press seam side down in an 11×7 inch baking dish. Once the caramel mixture has boiled for 5 minutes, pour over enchiladas and let sit for about 20 minutes- this helps soften the tortillas. Bake enchiladas in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Serve topped with vanilla ice cream and that delicious caramel sauce. Serves 6.

Note- Your tortillas must be fresh or they will be too tough for this recipe.

Speaking of dreams, on the advice of a dear friend, I purchased Susan Boyle’s CD, “I Dreamed a Dream.” It is a beautiful CD and watching Miss Boyle acheive her dream is even more beautiful.

Just out of curiosity, what are some things that hinder you from living your dreams? Or if you are living your dreams, how did you get there?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 8:04 AM | Permalink

What a great dessert to serve with a mexican dinner – or any dinner for that matter! You are so right about daily choirs getting in the way of dreams – I look at them as gifts I give my children while they work on their dreams (feels a little better that way):-)
    Have a great day – NOT doing laundry! (lucky girl)

2. avatar EAT!
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 8:28 AM | Permalink

Little by little, I am living my dream more and more. I think it is a learning process as to what you really want as your dream.

BTW – this dessert is to die for!!

3. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 9:56 AM | Permalink

spectacular! it's apple pie in a fraction of the time–truly, not much can excite me more than that. thanks robin sue–you've made one of my dreams come true. :)
    (ha–that rhymes!)

4. avatar Mimi
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

What a fabulous quick dessert, even better that my kids can make it themselves.
    Mimi

5. avatar That Girl
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

I feel like people are always asking for a good dessert following a Mexican dinner – I'm steering them here!

6. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 2:58 PM | Permalink

Those apple enchiladas look heavenly!

I'm in dream building mode right now. I've had the same dream for the last 2 years, and I started to make a list of things I need to do to get there, and little by little I am checking them off. I've found that making a list keeps me focused on what I need to do and every time I check something off, I get a little more excited that its actually going to happen.

And, since I don't live near you, I'm sorry you have to fold your own laundry! Ha!

7. avatar Lori
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 5:17 PM | Permalink

That looks very delicious. Another fantastic idea!

8. avatar Dawn
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 6:08 PM | Permalink

I love when you do things like this. Please do more. lol
    Can I hire your hubby to plan out my life? Well my finances?

9. avatar Sheila
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 6:15 PM | Permalink

These look so great, very similar to a dessert from Anita's we used to get.

As for dreams, time (rather the shortage of) keeps me from my dreams.

10. avatar unconfidentialcook
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 7:23 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! Now I'm thinking about a million other dessertchiladas.

11. avatar Maria
    Posted 12/10/2009 at 8:15 PM | Permalink

Dessert enchiladas! Yes, please! Thank you for nice comments on our blog. We are loving the new look too:)

12. avatar Rhandi
    Posted 12/11/2009 at 2:10 AM | Permalink

Wow- this looks and sounds fabulous! I am going to have to give this a try!

13. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 12/11/2009 at 8:48 AM | Permalink

This dessert does look double d licious. I am happy you are striving towards your dreams. I'm not sure what mine are. I am so fickle they keep changing. But I am having fun trying stuff.

14. avatar Barbara
    Posted 12/11/2009 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

This dessert sure looks like a dream to me! Everything good wrapped up in a lovely package.

Dreams go on no matter how old you are, thank heaven. Where would we be without them?

15. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 12/12/2009 at 11:25 AM | Permalink

What a great idea! This looks so good!

16. avatar Christina and Jacob
    Posted 12/12/2009 at 3:26 PM | Permalink

These look so great and easy. What a great idea. I'm still trying to achieve my dreams, so the thing that is probably hindering me the most is finances. Maybe once we get student loans paid off, I can get closer to realizing my dream.

17. avatar Free Samples
    Posted 12/12/2009 at 11:07 PM | Permalink

They looks so delicious! Great work..made my mouth water!!

18. avatar scottnjoyce
    Posted 12/14/2009 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

Robin,
    Just a thought on the laundry-I should not do laundry either-but one thing that helps it not take away from other things in my life-is to do laundry every day. When I first was told to do laundry everyday, I thought that was crazy in terms of make it less a part of my life-but it really works. I no longer think about it as a big chore. I still hate it-but I just throw in a load everyday and fold and put away. Kind of like taking care of the dishes every day.

Also-I think the things that get in the way of my dreams the most are: 1. trying to live up to the expectations that others have of me. 2. not writing down what it is I really want to be doing-not concrete goal setting. 3. Chores
    But I can take baby steps-and I think we shouldn't minimize all the small steps we take on the way to our dreams and desires-each step should be celebrated too.
    Joyce

19. avatar Patsyk
    Posted 12/14/2009 at 2:25 PM | Permalink

first of all, that delicious dessert is inspired! I love it!

I'm not chasing my dream just yet, can't leave my job to go chase it at this point with 2 young boys to raise… hoping to chase it in bits and pieces though starting after the first of the year.

Go after what you want, it's what will make you happiest… however you have to do it! :)

20. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 12/16/2009 at 10:53 AM | Permalink

Good question. I'm not sure what my dreams are. Since I had the Twins my focus has been on being the best parent I can for my children and helping them achieve their dreams.

This looks incredibly yummy! I'm pretty sure my three would love this. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, while we're talking dreams….how's the book writing coming along?
    ~ingrid

21. avatar Lisa
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

Interesting. I think I could benefit from the life planning, especially since I'm not sure how to answer your questions. Oddly though, I sort of enjoy doing the laundry, it's just that I can never catch up.

Great recipe. I really want to try this. Apple Pie is one of our favorites!