Cookie Press Short Bread Cookies

This year each family member picked a treat they wanted for Christmas, Littleness chose Cookie Press Cookies. She got to choose their shapes, colors, decorations, and even flavor. Above is Daelyn and I modeling our matching aprons made for us by our neighbor Theresa who is a magnificent seamstress. She even stitched our names on our aprons, mine saying “Robin Sue’s Big Red Kitchen!”

Let me tell you about our little Daelyn. Dae Dae is the youngest of our three children. She will be seven on Christmas Eve. In March, 2003, our adoption agency called and said, “How about a Christmas Eve baby?” The very next day Himself and I were in Ginny’s office looking at a photo of this adorable, little stranger exclaiming, “Yes!” Three months later, I and my friend Lori travelled to South Korea to meet and take Daelyn home, while Himself stayed home with the boys. Daelyn was 6 months old at the time and halfway through the airport, she realized something was terribly wrong; I was not her Foster Mother, whom she had been raised since birth. …her brothers, who were three and six, were most interested in her eyes and kept trying to open them wider.She threw her head back and wailed and did not stop. On the short flight from Korea to Japan she screamed and when I stood holding her at the end of that flight, I turned to apologize to the entire plane of passengers behind me. Instead of an angry mob, each passenger bowed to us in gratitude- they understood. From that point on to keep her calm, Daelyn was passed to Korean businessmen, missionaries, and grandmothers, all who had the language and touch familiar to her. When we got to the airport here at home, we were greeted by seventy of our closest friends and family holding signs and balloons of welcome. There her Daddy held her for the first time. When we got her home, her brothers, who were three and six, were most interested in her eyes and kept trying to open them wider. Our adoption journey has been quite adventurous and we are thankful for our little Blessing.

This is Daelyn’s Christmas Wish List. I think from this list you can see that Daelyn is the sweetest little girl under the sun. What child asks for mouthwash, tic tacs, and toothpaste? And do you see number 10- LOVE? This one made me a little nervous (and a little choked up too) thinking she felt that she does not get enough, but she said she gets plenty and always likes more. When I asked her how I would wrap love she said, “Wrap your arms around me and squeeze.”

Daelyn’s Cookies
1 cup butter, cut in small pieces
1 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 drops Fiori di Sicilia, optional

In a stand mixer blend all ingredients until a dough is formed. At this time split and color dough using food coloring. Using your cookie press according to manufacturer’s instructions press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets. Decorate with sprinkles, colored sugar, or candies. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely on cookie sheet before removing. Store in an airtight container. These are extremely delicate, handle with care. Makes 3-4 dozen cookies depending on press.

Fiori di Sicilia from King Arthur’s is the best I have tasted. It is a taste like no other- oranges, vanilla, and flowers. It is very strong and a subtle use is better than overdoing it with this flavor. I lasts forever in the refrigerator. Try it.

These cookies have a delicate flavor and immediately melt in your mouth, I think they are one of my favorite Christmas Cookies. Thank you Michelle, you reminded me to make Cookie Press Cookies again after seeing your post about them!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Michelle
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 1:24 PM | Permalink

It must be the day for cookies made with a cookie press because I posted mine today too!

The hearts and little trees are my favorite!

2. avatar fatkatpat
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 2:19 PM | Permalink

What a sweet girl!! And The perfect example of a "gift" that keeps on giving!!

3. avatar Maria
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 2:33 PM | Permalink

What a great story, thanks for sharing. Love the cookies too. Happy Holidays!

4. avatar amy grace
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

what an awesome story! it brought tears to my eyes! and the cookies are great, too :)

5. avatar Anne
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 3:21 PM | Permalink

I love her Christmas list – it brought tears to my eyes! What a sweetie. It reminds me of one of my students who wrote about what they wanted to know when they got to Heaven: top on her list was God's love. From the mouths of babes!

6. avatar Kelly
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

I love cookie press cookies, I just need to get a press that works! I bought one from Pampered Chef and it's awful. Doesn't work worth a toot.

Thank you for sharing Daelyn's story. It's beautiful (I got all choked up). Merry Christmas!

7. avatar Dawn
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 5:47 PM | Permalink

well would you please tell Daelyn that she did a wonderful job–they are beautiful cookies.

8. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 6:40 PM | Permalink

Well, I might be a little biased, but I think adoption stories are just about the sweetest kind there are. Thanks for sharing your baby girl's with us!
    Merry Christmas!
    ~Michelle

9. avatar Dorothy
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 6:50 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful story! (I got choked up too) Her Christmas list is just darling too! :)

10. avatar Melissa Ashley
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 7:27 PM | Permalink

Daelyn is so cute! Those cookies look really scrumptious too!

11. avatar Lucy..♥
    Posted 12/21/2009 at 8:21 PM | Permalink

Ahh… Robin Sue that put a smile on my heart!! Daelyn's cookies are sooo cute, just as she is ;-)

An early "Happy Birthday, Daelyn"

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!!

xoxox's

12. avatar Mimi
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 1:13 AM | Permalink

I love it when I smile and cry at the same time! Thanks for such a heart warming story.
    BTW the cookies are look so yummy.
    Robin Sue, Merry Chirstmas to you and your family! and a very Happy Birthday Daelyn!
    Mimi

13. avatar Kristen
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 9:33 AM | Permalink

Oh, happy birthday Daelyn – what a neat story. Lovely-looking cookies, too!

14. avatar EAT!
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

We have not mastered the cookie press in our house yet, but I am not giving up yet.

Merry Christmas Robin Sue to you!!

15. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

dae dae is a doll and she makes some mean sugar cookies! my heart is warmed, robin sue–happy holidays to you and yours!

16. avatar Lisa
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

What a great Christmas list. The writing of children can be so completely charming. Thank you for sharing this beautiful Christmas story. Happy Birthday to Daelyn.

Oh, and the cookies are delightful!

17. avatar potandkettle
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 11:21 AM | Permalink

I'm a lurker, and have been for quite some time. I love your blog and loved reading your adoption story. My daughter is adopted from China and we will celebrate four years as a family in February 2010.

I think her list is delightful. My daughter told me the other night, she wanted to give me something for Christmas and she knew it wasn't on my list. I asked her what it was and she told me, "my heart." I teared up when she told me and I told her that was the absolute best gift anyone had ever wanted to give me. She asked if it was a nice thing to give, and being reassured it was a nice thing to do, she added that she hoped Santa brought her dress up clothes as one of her surprise gifts since she gave such a good gift. I just remind myself the seed has been planted…now it's time to cultivate and grow it.

Love your blog and wish you all the Merriest of Christmases.

18. avatar unconfidentialcook
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 12:17 PM | Permalink

What a lovely list, what a lovely little girl, what a lovely story. I love her, too.

19. avatar Karen
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 1:23 PM | Permalink

Thanks Robin Sue, for sharing Daelyn's story. What a blessing. Loved that the boys were trying to open her eyes wider! Merry Christmas to your family and Happy Birthday, Daelyn! You did much better at the pressed cookies that I have ever done!

20. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

I've said it before…she's adorable. You've got much to be thankful for at Christmas and all year-round. All the best to you and your beautiful family and all those who gather in the big red kitchen over the holidays.

21. avatar biz319
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

Loved reading the story about your daughter!

I had to laugh at the list too! One year Hannah asked for just two things: a white baby and a black baby!

Happy Holidays! :D

22. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 12/22/2009 at 10:30 PM | Permalink

Happy Birthday Dae Dae! You are the sweetest little girl. Thanks for sharing your Christmas list and cookie recipe.

23. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 12:43 AM | Permalink

Thank you for sharing the cookies and Daelyn's story.

I hope you and your family have a blessed and joyful Christmas!
    ~ingrid

24. avatar Lisa P.
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 1:27 AM | Permalink

Have you read "The Red Thread" by Grace Lin. Chokes me up every time…. Daelyn is beautiful. Have a wonderful Christmas!

25. avatar Tara
    Posted 12/27/2009 at 11:58 AM | Permalink

Asking for Love for Christmas, how sweet and adorable!