“Sugar Glider” Chocolate Chip Cookies

When it came time for Zuzu to chose his Christmas treat, he did not hesitate in blurting out, “Chocolate Chip Cookies!” I was a bit disappointed, they are not very festive, delicious yes, but festive, no. “Are you sure Deven?” I asked. “Yes,” he said. Well thankfully on Michelle’s site One Ordinary Day I had spotted her Reindeer Cookies and knew her clever design would jazz up Zuzu’s cookies.

This is Deven from Heaven. That name was given to him from my parent’s Pastor, Dave, after he saw Deven for the first time and prayed with us knowing the devastation and trials we had endured while waiting on Deven’s arrival. In August 1998 we had lost a baby 20 weeks into the pregnancy. At 16 weeks I had suffered from severe food poisoning and tore my membranes. The baby held on for 4 weeks but died in utero. Devastation. Several months later we became pregnant with Deven. Things were going well and the morning sickness was a welcomed treat. Those of you who have lost a baby understand the feeling of gratitude when morning sickness arrives and even stays. At 31 weeks Deven decided to come. Trials. I was rushed to Ramstein Army Medical Center in Germany where the doctors were successful at stopping his premature birth. We stayed at that hospital for 4 weeks, received multiple tests, false labored many times, and waited. Appropriately, Deven was born healthy and strong on All Saint’s Day. We were charmed by his wide, alert eyes and quiet whimper. He was our gift from heaven.

Deven is a sweet little boy with an easy disposition. He is a great baseball player and goes through life without fear. I have been in the back of an ambulance twice with that little guy for serious injuries and several ER visits for his other misadventures. One would think he would be more careful since it was so hard to get him here in the first place. Everyone who meets Deven falls in love with his gentleness and big green eyes. He liked the idea of making Sugar Glider Cookies in honor of our pets, Necco and Snickers.

Deven’s Christmas Sugar Glider Cookies- adapted from Michelle and Penny
1 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour
1/2 t. baking soda
14 T. unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 t. table salt
2 t. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

When Cooking with children I find it is best to go the mise en place route. This means everything in place before you begin.
Bowl 1:
Whisk together flour and baking soda.

Bowl 2:
Mix together both sugars, salt, and vanilla.

Bowl 3:
Whisk together the egg and egg yolk.

Bowl 4: This will be your mixing bowl.
Place 4 tablespoons butter.

In a small saucepan, cook 10 tablespoons of butter until browned. Watch closely as this burns quickly. You will notice a nice caramel brown color and brown bits at the bottom of the pan. It will also smell toasty and nutty. Add the browned butter to your mixing bowl and blend with the unmelted butter until smooth. Add the sugar bowl mix and blend for about 2 minutes until smooth, creamy and the sugars have melted. Add the eggs and mix for 30 seconds. Add the flour and mix until just incorporated. Stir in chips. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out about 20 cookies onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 14 minutes in a 375 degree oven or until golden brown. Makes about 20 cookies.

When the cookies are just out of the oven and still piping hot, decorate with broken pieces of pretzels for the ears. Red m&m’s for the nose and Green for the eyes.

PS- Deven wants everyone to know that Snickers is pregnant and from what we can tell she has two joey’s growing in her pouch and they are each about the size of an almond right now. We will let you all know when the joey’s are OOP (out of pocket). The children are beyond excited while Himself and I are perplexed as to what to do with the little things once they arrive.

To all my readers a very Merry Christmas!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 8:17 AM | Permalink

What a beautiful blessing this little man is. Thank you for telling us about him. : )

(And thanks for the link too!)

~Michelle

2. avatar KJ
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 9:26 AM | Permalink

MMMM..They look very tasty and festive! Deven from Heaven is very sweet (Much nicer than a "crabby Abby" or saying "Wyatt be Quiet!"

;-)

3. avatar Sheila
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

What a great story; wasn't expecting to have to dry some tears when I clicked on the story of sugar glider cookies! Deven is a sweet blessing with a great character.

Again, I really appreciate your hints on baking with children. I often don't like to have the younger ones help because of the mess it involves. This tip would alleviate much of that mess.

And the cookies are so cute! But I know those sugar glider babies will be the cutest of all:)

4. avatar Donna
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

Hummm…congratulations on your impending arrival. The kids still talk about Miss Robin's sugar gliders! The cookies look yummy and I love the snow out the window!

Merry Christmas!

5. avatar Dan
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 11:00 AM | Permalink

That's a great way to make some festive cookies.

6. avatar Dawn
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 11:29 AM | Permalink

and what a cookie it is! please tell Deven he did a awesome job!

7. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 12:44 PM | Permalink

I just nominated you as best home-cooking blog (http://homies.apartmenttherapy.com/2009/category/home-cooking) and said a visit to the big red kitchen feels like you've been given a cup of coffee and a seat at the table. This post proves the point!

8. avatar Kelly
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 1:03 PM | Permalink

Very cute! The cookies look great and loved the mise en place tip. I keep reminding myself to do the same. It makes things go so much better whether baking with kids or not!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

9. avatar heartnsoulcooking
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 1:13 PM | Permalink

What a YUMMY!!! cookie and I love the way you decorated it.
    Geri

10. avatar Sophie
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 2:24 PM | Permalink

What a lovely story this is!! Deven is a cute boy!!
    The cookies look realy tasty too!! MMMMM,…

What a lovely read this was!! I wish you, your husband, your children & your dogs a lovely & warm & lovely Christmas!

Also a happy & great 2010!!!

11. avatar Rate This Recipe!!
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

Those cookies are cute!

12. avatar Karen
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 3:13 PM | Permalink

Love the cookies, Deven! I would have chosen chocolate chip, too ;)

Robin Sue, I'm so sorry you lost your sweet baby. My second daughter, Tina, was a preemie (25 weeks gestation) and passed the same day. She would be 24 years old now. I miss every day that I didn't have with her, but she'll always be in my heart.

God's blessings to you and your family. xo

13. avatar tamilyn
    Posted 12/23/2009 at 5:19 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful story and a handsome boy!

Those cookies are so cute, however, my 19 and 16 year olds would look at me like I was from Mars if I asked them to help me decorate cookies like that. Maybe in 15 years I'll have a grandbaby to help me in the kitchen :)

14. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 12/24/2009 at 12:13 AM | Permalink

Deven is a smart boy. You can't go wrong with choc. chip cookies. They are my favorite.
    Deven is a blessing he is the peace maker.
    And congrats on you newest members of the family. Even if they are of another animal family.

15. avatar Grace
    Posted 12/24/2009 at 7:14 AM | Permalink

cute cookies for a cute kid. do you ever think you might just burst with pride? :)

16. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 12/24/2009 at 10:57 AM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing that story about your son, he's so cute!

I love the idea of jazzing up those cookies!

I did your rice crispie recipe for my daughters birthday party last weekend and the girls had a great time making snowmen, snow balls, and using the cookie cutters.

Have a VERY merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

17. avatar DailyChef
    Posted 12/25/2009 at 3:27 PM | Permalink

Those cookies are so cute and festive! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

18. avatar Penny
    Posted 12/25/2009 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

What a beautiful story Robin Sue. Deven is a sweet boy. Sorry for your lose. Have a wonderful Christmas with your awesome family.

19. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 12/26/2009 at 1:36 PM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the story….I like how you decorated your cookies, so festive!

20. avatar biz319
    Posted 12/26/2009 at 9:13 PM | Permalink

Merry Christmas RobinSue! Such a wonderful gift you have in Deven!

Love it!

21. avatar Julie
    Posted 12/28/2009 at 6:09 PM | Permalink

Deven sounds like a true blessing, brings a tear to the eye :)

22. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 12/29/2009 at 11:02 PM | Permalink

Your Deven sounds a lot like my Devon. I was 3cm dilated at 26 weeks and held out until my water broke at 32 weeks. Like your Deven mine has spent more than his fair share in the hosiptal and loves baseball. For the most part my Jalen has been healthy though he hasn't seen that as a good thing. :) It goes by so fast doesn't it? Thanks for sharing.
    ~ingrid

23. avatar gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted 01/03/2010 at 12:04 AM | Permalink

Oh, how lovely … so glad that you were blessed with Deven. He looks and sounds like the best. I can identify with those ER trips. I think they are much more common with boys. Way cool on having sugar gliders and a pregnant one–wow!

Shirley