Breakfast Tacos

It is cold here. I believe it is cold everywhere. As I type this recipe, I have Necco, my sugar glider, curled up in the crook of my arm between my polar fleece jacket and sweater. You see, he’s been kicked out. I found him curled up and shivering on the wheel today instead of snuggled up with Snickers in their bed. Snickers is growing uncomfortable as their joey grows in her pouch. I think there is only one joey, at least that is all I can feel right now, a little head and a foot now and again. But don’t quote me, I am a nurse for humans not marsupials. I think she must be having mood swings and kicked him out of bed this morning with a, “You did this to me,” speech. I wonder how much longer? Necco wonders too.

So to stay extra warm this past week, we have been enjoying some favorite comfort meals in Big Red Kitchen like Creamed Chicken, Chili Mack, and Breakfast Tacos. My SIL Ellen taught me about Breakfast Tacos back in our Germany days during some of our cozy Sunday Night Suppers. These delicious tacos made the rotation often, especially during those cold German winters.

Breakfast Tacos
2 pounds bulk breakfast sausage
2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes, I use diced
12 eggs, beaten
2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
20 eight inch flour tortillas

Others:
Extra oil for frying
seasoned salt or a potato seasoning like Penzeys Northwoods Seasoning
Sour Cream
Salsa

In a very large skillet over high heat cook sausage until browned breaking up large chunks. Remove from pan leaving grease behind. To the sausage grease add potatoes, you may need to add 2 more T. of vegetable oil. Leave on high heat and cover to heat potatoes through, about 10 minutes. Remove lid and stirring frequently cook potatoes until crispy, about 10 minutes. I like to season my potatoes generously with seasoned salt at this point. Once the potatoes are crispy, add sausage back into the pan and pour beaten eggs in. Stir well and heat until the eggs are scrambled and cooked through. Stir in cheese. Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, fill each tortilla with a rounded 1/2 cup of filling. Fold tortilla in half and wrap in waxed paper to keep warm. Place all of the tacos in a large pan, dish, or basket. I like to place mine on a warming tray and cover with foil. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Makes 20 tacos.

Note- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. To reheat, place one in the microwave for 45 seconds. Carefully open the tortilla, there will be steam, and add sour cream and salsa if desired. Great for the lunch box.

PS- We drank Mimosas with our Breakfast Tacos this past Sunday night. A good way to start the week.

Other Sunday Night Suppers
Ham Biscuits
Kielbasa Sauerkraut Buns

I want to point you all in the direction of an up and coming website called Tastebudding. I spoke with Jessica last Fall as she was doing some research into the site’s development. I was very excited about her vision for the site and I hope that those of you who have children pop on over there and sign up to receive an email when they launch. I think we could all use some refreshing new recipes that are healthy and kid-friendly.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Kim Tice
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 7:42 AM | Permalink

I am wondering…How do you like having sugar gliders. I saw them at the mall and I fell in love!

2. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 1:01 PM | Permalink

Kim Tice- We do like them but like any pet there is work involved like feeding and cleaning cages. But they are cuddly and cute and we are doing this for our children, we think kids need pets growing up- it is good for them. We cannot have dogs or cats due to allergies and this was the best fit for us. If you have any questions you can always email me.

3. avatar Karen
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 1:22 PM | Permalink

Can't go wrong with breakfast tacos! It's nice to have something like this that can be reheated quickly – great for kids!

4. avatar Maria
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 2:00 PM | Permalink

Great hearty breakfast!

5. avatar noble pig
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 2:18 PM | Permalink

I've only heard joey referred to for kangaroos so at first I was thinking…Robin Sue has kangaroos!!! Ha.

These tacos would warm me right up!! I want that Penzy's seasoning.

6. avatar grace
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 3:41 PM | Permalink

things i want after reading this post (in no particular order):
    -a sugar glider
    -tacos
    -a cinnamon roll, preferably twice the size of the one in your picture
    -a kangaroo (i see the word "joey" and that's where my mind goes…)

7. avatar Jennifer Wilson
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

I was totally thinking you had a pet kangaroo as well!

8. avatar Greg and Donna
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 3:50 PM | Permalink

Thanks for the recipe. Greg & I are going to be cooks for a mission team in Honduras starting the 22nd for a week. We have always done the tortilla wraps but not added hashbrowns. That would help stretch the sausage and eggs & make the wrap a heartier meal!

Donna

9. avatar KJ
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 4:43 PM | Permalink

Sugar gliders??? I too thought kangaroos? Do you have pictures?

10. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 01/12/2010 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

I didn't know your little pets were having a little pet of their own. Wow. Wonder how tiny that'll be!

These breakfast tacos are brilliant. Easy and delicious. What a great way to start the day.

11. avatar Mimi
    Posted 01/13/2010 at 2:11 AM | Permalink

We love breakfast tacos. They gets the day off to a good start.
    Any picture of you little pets?
    Mimi

12. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 01/13/2010 at 12:33 PM | Permalink

I'm all over this recipe. As a matter of fact I think it's whats for dinner tonight. :)

I had to google sugar gliders to find out what you were talking about. I'm a bad, bad Mama. No pets for my poor kiddos. I have too much on my plate and we're gone a lot.
    ~ingrid

13. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 01/13/2010 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, Thank you for this post on breakfast tacos. I want to add this to my breakfast menu rotation. What are your thoughts on heating the tortilla before stuffing with egg mixture? I guess this would make the tortilla hard and rubbery should there be any left overs. Charli

14. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/13/2010 at 3:02 PM | Permalink

Charli-I did not heat the tortillas, the filling did heat them well enough and once put together in a basket or pan they heated up just fine. Thanks!

• Posted 06/09/2012 at 12:51 PM | Permalink

We make breakfast tacos frequently for our 40-100 campers. We wrap 10-15 tortillas in a paper towel then microwave it for 1 minute. The tortillas are warm and never hard or rubbery.

15. avatar DailyChef
    Posted 01/13/2010 at 10:10 PM | Permalink

I love breakfast and I love tacos. I'm not sure how this could go wrong. Thanks so much for the post!

16. avatar Peter M
    Posted 01/14/2010 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

R-Sue, this is fab for the kid, spouse or self who's on the go. Better to have some brekkie on the run than nothing at all.

17. avatar biz319
    Posted 01/14/2010 at 2:18 PM | Permalink

Love everything about this recipe!!!

Off to check out Tastebudding!

18. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 01/14/2010 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

Sugar gliders??seriously? they are so cute! How I wish my breakfast is this everyday…instead of just cereal.

19. avatar EAT!
    Posted 01/15/2010 at 8:24 AM | Permalink

Love love love these! I too keep a batch on hand for quick breakfasts.

20. avatar bakingblonde
    Posted 01/15/2010 at 5:37 PM | Permalink

I love this idea, especially for weekend mornings!

21. avatar Kevin
    Posted 01/16/2010 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

What a hearty and tasty breakfast!

22. avatar Patsyk
    Posted 01/20/2010 at 1:50 PM | Permalink

I love that these can be reheated for lunch! I just printed it out and hope to give it a test run with the family soon!

23. avatar Regena
    Posted 01/31/2010 at 11:10 AM | Permalink

These are great. I make big batches and freeze them for camping or when we have friends and family on a weekend. For camping, wrap them in foil and put them on a slow grill until heated through. For a full house, they can be reheated in the oven or individually microwaved frozen, covered with a damp paper towel.

24. avatar Kerry H.
    Posted 02/03/2010 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

Can you make the breakfast tacos and freeze them for later use? How would you warm them up? I leave for work by 6am and love a warm breakfast on the go that 's not store bought or from a fast food place.

25. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 02/03/2010 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

Kerry H. Yes you can freeze this and defrost at half power in the microwave, try 30-60 seconds and go up from there if more time is needed.