Sweet Italian Chicken

In my last post I informed you all about some changes I have been working on lately. One, having Dinner For Breakfast (DFB). I also included the top ten reasons it is working out for us. I have discovered an 11th reason: natural light to photograph my meals for Big Red Kitchen, an unexpected perk for sure. If I were to have dinner at our regular time of 6:30 pm the images would be yellowish and dark but here we have refreshing looking food shot in natural light.

I have been getting many great comments from you all about this little experiment and have enjoyed the banter. I have had breakfast in other countries, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, and Korea and it was always a nice surprise to see the variety each country brings to their breakfast table. Korea probably has the most amazing breakfasts I had ever seen in my life- seafood, rice, eggs, meats, noodle dishes, salads, fruits, sushi, kimbap, and so much more. So I brought a little of the world into our kitchen and said move over to our usual American-rush-out-of-the-house-cold-cereal-for-breakfast tradition. Right now, today, this week, this month, it works for us. In the summer, things may be different, like the cook sleeping in for a change.

I found this chicken recipe on Debbie’s site Mocha Me, you may recognize it as the base of my Harvest Chicken and Biscuits. This morning I made it like hers with a twist- I used my own seasoning mix. My family really liked this chicken dish served over fine buttered noodles, salad, and Karen’s Roasted Cocoa Smoked Paprika Cauliflower which has a deep smoky flavor enhanced by the cocoa but not tasting chocolaty.

Deven: “You put sugar in the chicken, mom?” Squishing his face into his wow-that’s-weird look.
Me: “Yes and I’ll never do it again, OK?”
Deven: “No! You can do it again.”

Sweet Italian Chicken
1 T. Italian Dressing Mix or 1 pkt. Good Season’s Italian Dressing Mix
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, excess fat removed

In a bowl mix all of the ingredients until chicken is coated evenly. Place in a single layer in a baking dish and bake in 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. Serves 4-5.

Don’t’ forget to sign up for the newsletter over there on the right sidebar. I hope to put out some great Super Bowl Recipes.

Oh does anyone have a cure for 7 year old girls going on 17?

Linked to Se7en’s Fabulous Friday Fun

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Karen
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 4:09 PM | Permalink

The chicken sounds wonderful with the brown sugar in it… such an easy meal! Glad you tried the cauliflower… I'll make that again!

2. avatar HoneyB
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

This looks absolutely delicious!!

3. avatar Mimi
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 4:49 PM | Permalink

That couldn't be easier to make. Looks delicious, but I just don't think my kids would eat it at 6:30 AM.
    Mimi

4. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 5:02 PM | Permalink

Mimi- I'll let you eat it anytime you want!

5. avatar Alison
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 5:13 PM | Permalink

I love you DFB idea. I will have to try it someday when Dan doesn't leave the house ridiculously early!

6. avatar Dawn
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 5:33 PM | Permalink

the sugar with the salty dressing oh yeah! definitely going to give this a go.

7. avatar DailyChef
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 6:36 PM | Permalink

What a GREAT looking recipe. I can't wait to try it!

8. avatar Rate This Recipe!!
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 8:21 PM | Permalink

Another great dish from you! You do have good taste about food!

9. avatar to2sassy
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a fabulous plan. I love breakfast foods like oatmeal and pancakes and such but I often do not want anything sweet in the morning. This definitely could work for me.

10. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 01/21/2010 at 10:41 PM | Permalink

Ha-if you find a cure for the 7 going on 17 please let me know. :)

Robin Sue how do you do it? I've tried really hard to see if that would be something I could manage but don't see it happening. I REALLY like the idea of a family meal. The kids and I have one pretty much every night but Joe's at work late 5 out of 7 nights. Are all three of your children big eaters in the morning? My youngest isn't. It takes her awhile to want to eat anything. It is a neat idea.
    ~ingrid

11. avatar Penny
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 7:15 AM | Permalink

It all looks so good. The cauliflower has me intrigued. My four year old granddaughter is alread showing signs of "that thing that girls do". But I am loving every minute of it.

12. avatar michelle@thecdomestic mama
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 7:38 AM | Permalink

oh! I sooo agree with the lighting. I wish we could do DFB but, hubby leaves at 5:30 am, a bit early. The chicken looks scrumptious, I may have it in the evening, though! ;) Oh yes- self publishing- People keep telling me to do it, too. You can get your books on amazon and keep 100% of the profit. It is, however a big chunk of loot to do. So until I'm rich… I will have to just wait! LOL! Have a great day Robin!

13. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

Ingrid- I had no idea how this would go. She eats anything and everything in the am, one boy likes his oatmeal and the other nothing at all but does like regular food in the am. Surprisingly they all treat it like dinner and eat! It was getting harder to have regular dinners together as a family since I go to the gym at 5 pm and soon their spring activites will start.

Michelle- yeah 5:30 is very early to do something like this, I wouldn't. We do not have to leave the house until 8:30 am so it is manageble. You will find a way to get published!

14. avatar Joan Nova
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

I'm really intrigued with this upside-down menu planning. I 'get' the better light for photos, but I'm not so sure on total dinner for breakfast. You're family seems to be adjusting and having fun with it.

15. avatar Maria
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 10:58 AM | Permalink

Glad it's going well. Fabulous meal here!

16. avatar Kelly
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

This sounds wonderful to me, but I have a feeling my husband would turn his nose up at the sugar. Hm. Maybe if I don't tell him… ;)

Ooh! I just thought of something. I'll make this as an appetizer for Super Bowl, in bite-size chunks. That way I can have it and he won't have to if he doesn't like it. WOO!

17. avatar That Girl
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

I love the idea in theory, but I have a hard time eating lunch foods if I don't have breakfast foods to begin with….but I can eat breakfast any hour of the day.

18. avatar Patsyk
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 1:40 PM | Permalink

I am intrigued that your family is so willing to eat dinner for breakfast! This recipe looks wonderful, and I may have to try it (at dinnertime!)… not sure I could manage to get up any earlier to make a full dinner in the morning.

19. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 3:40 PM | Permalink

Well, this recipe looks simple enough for me. I like Kelly's idea doing it as an appetizer. I will definitely be trying this one. Thanks.

20. avatar grahamstravelblog
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 5:30 PM | Permalink

That picture is amazing. It makes me want to eat ribs for some reason. It does sound like it could be a killer appetizer for yet another meat on a stick variant.

21. avatar noble pig
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 6:00 PM | Permalink

I'm still amazed you are doing this in the morning!!!

22. avatar grace
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 6:19 PM | Permalink

sugar in the chicken? say it ain't so! actually, i think it sounds positively delightful! also, i'm so glad you're seeing some advantages to have dinner for breakfast. :)

23. avatar Kathleen
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 8:00 PM | Permalink

This recipe sounds de-lish and your photo is great! I'm struggling with whether or not buy some lighting cuz I have the same issue!

24. avatar The Blonde Duck
    Posted 01/22/2010 at 10:43 PM | Permalink

That chicken sounds amazing!

25. avatar EAT!
    Posted 01/23/2010 at 9:27 AM | Permalink

I have a similar recipe that subs a can of whole cranberries for the brown sugar. I will be giving this recipe a try for those busy nights.

And so true about the photos. What a pain in the winter months and I have not fugured out the light tent I bought last year.