English Muffin Pizzas

When Himself leaves town things change around the BRK. Since I am greatly out-numbered, children 3, adults 1, I prepare more “kid-friendly” meals than when Himself is around- although I think he would be happier with more kid-friendly foods. I am often asked how I get my own children to eat and I answer with, “You mean other than screaming and threats?” I try to make sure there is always something on the table that everyone likes. If the meal falls in the so-so category of kid-friendliness, then I am sure to have apple sauce, rice, or noodles on the table.

The other night I made English Muffin Pizzas, always a hit with the children but leaves me wanting more. I chose to introduce two sophisticated ingredients to this usually simpleton meal. Introducing new flavors in a typically favorite meal is a sneaky tactic and most times I do not get caught. When the ingredients are revealed the kids are surprised at liking the new-to-them-ingredients. I chose pancetta and smoked paprika to jazz up this meal without getting the “Oh yuck Mom.” The kids got one of their favorite meals and I got flavor satisfaction and six thumbs-up.

Adult Palate-Kid Approved English Muffin Pizzas
1 jar Pizza Sauce or 1 recipe Kelly’s Pizza Sauce- delicious
6 English muffins, split
12 slices pancetta
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
smoked paprika
pizza sprinkle like Penzeys Tuscan Sunset, oregano works well too

Place English muffin halves on a cookie sheet and spread with sauce, top with pancetta and cheese then sprinkle with smoked paprika and pizza sprinkle. Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Makes 12 pizzas.

Oh another thing that goes on while Himself is away, the mice play. I have a very tenacious mouse that is impossible to catch. Almost. He did get trapped but got away. Now there is a one eyed, broken legged, almost bloodless mouse limping around my home which leads me to sleep with one eye opened trying to spy a mouse on revenge.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar the domestic mama
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 9:07 AM | Permalink

I can't believe I haven't done these yet! Thanks for the reminder!

2. avatar dawn
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 9:28 AM | Permalink

yeah if there's pancetta on there of course anyone would devour it!

3. avatar Natalie
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

What great additions to the pizzas–I'll have to try that sometime! Now I want to get all creative with English Muffin pizzas…I'm thinking maybe some goat cheese and caramelized onions or something. yumm

4. avatar biz319
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 11:49 AM | Permalink

What a great way to kick up your pizzas – looks delicious!

When my husband is out of town on business, we always have my daughters favorite meal – breakfast for dinner – my husband just can't do eggs or pancakes at dinner for some reason!

Eeek – I am not sure I could sleep knowing the mouse might be limping around in my bedroom! You are a brave woman!

5. avatar Fallon
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

Love making pizza using english muffins or even a bagel! It good that you try all types of foods with your kids and they actually enjoy it!

6. avatar Peter M
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 12:55 PM | Permalink

Great option for snacks or quick hor's d'oeuvres. I'd probably have three.

7. avatar grace
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

excellent–it certainly satisfies the kids while still stimulating your palate. win win. :)

8. avatar noble pig
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 1:39 PM | Permalink

My kids love these too!

9. avatar Karen
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

This looks so good with that melted cheese. I'm sure the smoked paprika really added to these pizzas… it's one of my favorite spices. Ohhh… mice… I've dealt with them before. Haven't seen any since we moved to MT.

10. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 3:13 PM | Permalink

Hope you find that mouse. That's why I have 3 cats! ha!

I love your english muffin pizzas. I still cater to all my kids tastes. I know when I was growing up it was eat what's for dinner or eat nothing, but I feel bad if one of my kids go hungry, so I will still make something different if one of my kids doesn't like something, and this will do the trick!

11. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 4:03 PM | Permalink

English muffin pizzas were always our treat at my grandparents' house. When we ran out of those, we'd create little pizzas on Ritz crackers. :)

A mouse, eh? You need some peanut butter to lure him into whatever trap you're using. (I'm going to imagine it's a kind one where he'll be released into a big green pasture, okay?) Or a cat!

12. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 02/18/2010 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

The pizzaslook good. Yumm… smoked paprika.

YUCK…mutilated mouse.

13. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 02/19/2010 at 5:55 AM | Permalink

What a great idea using muffins! Great flavours.

14. avatar Pam
    Posted 02/19/2010 at 11:31 AM | Permalink

Looks delicious and I will be trying it!

15. avatar DailyChef
    Posted 02/19/2010 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

I love pizza bagels but never though of doing pizza English muffins. I'm sure I'll love it though. Thanks for the idea!

16. avatar Janice
    Posted 02/19/2010 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

If you want to step things up a bit in flavor,the combination that my kids like is chicken apple sausages (like Aidell's or Trader Joe's) with cheddar.

Janice@gigabitng.com

17. avatar Gregg
    Posted 02/19/2010 at 3:34 PM | Permalink

Pizza English muffins were the first food that I learned to make for myself, when I was about 13 years old. That is, unless you count microwaving hot dogs as cooking :)

18. avatar Sook
    Posted 02/19/2010 at 7:49 PM | Permalink

What a great way to enjoy pizza flavors! Love how simple it is to make it. :)

19. avatar EAT!
    Posted 02/20/2010 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

Love the Penzeys spice mixes!

20. avatar Mimi
    Posted 02/22/2010 at 1:33 PM | Permalink

My kids love these little pizzas.
    Mimi

21. avatar Lori
    Posted 02/22/2010 at 10:15 PM | Permalink

I love these kind of pizzas but my kids do not. I must try again- cause really ythey are so good!

22. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 02/23/2010 at 12:32 AM | Permalink

Oh, my goodness NO! Seriously, I would have to move or leave until he was OUT as in dead out! My daughter would hate me but I don't care. I'm over here creeped out. EWWWWW!

Sorry I can't passed the mouse thing but the pizzas looked good.
    ~ingrid

23. avatar JadeLD
    Posted 02/23/2010 at 4:47 AM | Permalink

Hi there,
    I saw you over at Sandy's Reluctant Entertainer blog today and came for a look around. There's loads of recipes to choose from here, great blog! These pizza muffins look really tasty, good for film nights at home.
    Jade

24. avatar Kelly
    Posted 02/23/2010 at 10:35 AM | Permalink

Mmm.. Pizza. I love it on a bagel, on a crust, in a pita and on a muffin. Perfect meal or snack. I'm glad you liked the sauce! I wish I could take credit for it, but I found it at Our Best Bites. It's just the bestest.

RE: the mouse. Eew. Fortunately, our cats would take care of it. Unfortunately, they like to play with them to death instead of getting it over quickly. Our problem is flying squirrels. They're a bit larger than mice and much cuter, but still a total pain to have around. We try to implement a catch and release program with them. I wonder how many have been repeat offenders. ;)

25. avatar Mary
    Posted 02/24/2010 at 1:26 AM | Permalink

Oh I love these! And those look wonderful. Off to read your guest post now.