Roast Beef: 2 Meals

Beef it’s what’s for dinner…
Kabob Kubideh
Sloppy Giuseppes
Italian Meatballs

The Roast Beef Sandwich, piled high with medium-rare rotisserie thinly sliced beef on a buttered and grilled Kaiser Roll. So good. This is a favorite meal around these parts. Everyone getting to make his or her version of their sandwich, who puts barbecue sauce on theirs, who uses mayonnaise, who likes it plain with salt and pepper, the variations can go on and on.

To make this meal…
1. I rotisseried (could be a word?) a small 2.5-3 pound eye round in my George Foreman 8 in 1 toaster (the best little toaster oven I have ever had).

2. Before placing it in the oven I give it a good rub down with some seasonings like salt, pepper, powdered celery seed, onion, garlic, and maybe some rosemary too or sometimes I use Penzeys English Prime Rib Rub.

3. The roast will rotisserie for 45 minutes then get wrapped up tight in foil to set for 30 or so minutes.

4. I slice it thinly and serve with rolls, cheese, barbecue sauce, butter, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, pepper rings, and fresh fruit and chips.

* IF you do not have a rotisserie then you can do this roast for 45 minutes in a 425 degree oven, or using a kitchen thermometer, finish to your likeness remembering that it will cook a bit more once wrapped in the foil.

PS- I love dipping the inside of the top of my bun in the au jus that is flowing all over the platter.

For Round 2… Tacos or Fajitas

1. Another day using the leftover meat we like to make fajitas or tacos by julienning the meat along with red onion and yellow, red, or orange bell peppers.

2. Toss the meat with your favorite taco or fajita seasoning. Put aside.

3. In a large skillet heat about 1 T. oil and toss in onions and peppers. Saute until tender crisp. Add in the meat and cook until heated through. Give it all a good squirt of fresh lime juice.

4. Serve with flour tortillas or crispy corn taco shells, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, and hot sauce. Fresh fruit and a salad and you have a complete and easy second meal that tastes completely different than the first.

My brother introduced me to this knife sharpener and it was quickly put on every ones Christmas wish list, and everyone got one for Christmas! For under 10 bucks I could not ask for a better sharpener, so much easier and cheaper than sending my knives off to the “pros” to get done. It even does my serrated knives. Oh and it works so well you may want to keep some sutures in the kitchen drawer to sew yourself up on the days you perform accidental surgery on your thumb like I did. Must. Go. To. Knife. Skills. School.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Peter M
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

It's brekkie time but I want to dive into the roasr beef sandwich….may I bring the jus?

2. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

Both of those look like meals my kiddos would happily dig into especially the fajita/taco one.

Hope you guys had a Happy and delicious Easter!
    ~ingrid

3. avatar tamilyn
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 1:56 PM | Permalink

Wow, that pink roast beef looks perfect! I have a "Set-it-and-Foget-it" rotissiere and haven't had it out in forever. Think that bad boy needs to come out of the closet!

4. avatar grace
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 5:32 PM | Permalink

luscious red meat, robin sue! i love your ideas for fun ways to devour it too. incidentally, if rotisseried isn't a word, it darn well should be. :)

5. avatar Martha
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 5:51 PM | Permalink

This post has it all: Ovens! Beef! Knife Sharpeners!
    I'm in the market for a new toaster oven/convection oven/counter top thingy and the George Foreman you have sounds great. The roast beef looks amazing, and I LOVE the knife sharpener, too. I currently rendez vous with the mobile knife sharpening guy at various local restaurants to get my knives sharpened, and it's a pain (plus my husband is getting suspicious… LOL). THANK YOU!

6. avatar Karen
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 8:28 PM | Permalink

Great ways to use this roast! We're having pot roast tonight… haven't had that in a long time!

7. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 04/05/2010 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Don't you just love meals that give again?! Great post. I'm like Tamilyn up there – I don't have the toaster, but I do have one of the Foreman rotissieres that I need to bring out of the closet. Great looking roast!

I've never seen that sharpener though. I have always just used a steel, but I like that this has replaceable blades!

8. avatar Grumpy & HoneyB
    Posted 04/06/2010 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

This is a great post! I rarey cook beef but I think I will be trying this "rotisserie" out myself! It will definitely make Grumpy happy! :)

9. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 04/06/2010 at 3:57 PM | Permalink

Oh, I {heart} a good roast beef sandwich. We had them last night for dinner…. on garlic bread with cheese and au jus for dipping. Yum. Can I come over? : ) Now I'm hungry for another one!

10. avatar Kathleen
    Posted 04/07/2010 at 12:00 AM | Permalink

That roast beef looks perfectly cooked and totally delicious! Super YUM!

11. avatar Mimi
    Posted 04/07/2010 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

Robin sue,
    Yet again another great family meal. Your roast looks perfectly moist and juicy.
    Mimi