Blog Revival Week: Friday- Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake

Here it is, the last of the Southern Lady Dessert Parade. My freezer is full of some delicious desserts, all ready to go for future potlucks. This final dessert is a luscious cake full of chocolate chips and toasted, slivered almonds. Do you want to know what is truly amazing? It is my very first bundt cake. Yes. I have never owned a bundt pan until about 2 hours ago when one arrived at my front door from Amazon- Thanks Rob and Tonya. It is sturdy, non-stick, and baked up the perfect bundt. I have heard so many bad things about bundts, that I thought for sure as soon as I turned it over it would dump out half a cake, but nope, the entire cake came out beautifully with a shiny finish, just how a bundt should. It will go to my gym’s cookout tonight along with my Spinach Artichoke Dip and my Sliders. Anyway, do give this chocolate cake a go, it is delicious and fancy-schmancy.

Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake
1 1/2 cups blanched slivered almonds
12 ounce pkg. chocolate chips
1 chocolate fudge cake mix
1 sm. box instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
powdered sugar for dusting*

In a large skillet over medium heat, toast almonds until golden, stirring constantly. Do not walk away, or it will burn. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of almonds on the bottom of a greased 10″ bundt pan (mine had a 12 cup capacity). Set aside almonds and chocolate chips and mix the rest of the ingredients in a mixer for 4 minutes at medium speed. Stir in chips and almonds and pour batter into pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Bake time will vary depending on different pans and oven temps. Just watch. Cool in pan about 15 minutes and flip on to a plate. Dust with powdered sugar and let cool. Serves 12-15.

* I used King Arthur’s Snow White Topping Sugar.

BRK’s Bundt Pan: Oven Stuff Bundform Cake Pan

Did you find a dessert that you would like to try? I hope so.
Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake
Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding
Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler
Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake

Favorite Scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding
“It’s a bundt.”
“A buuunt?”
“A Bundt.”
“A bunk?”
“A Bundt, bundt!”
“Ah it’s a cack.”

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Amy
    Posted 05/21/2010 at 6:33 AM | Permalink

Haha! Love that movie.
    Thanks for a week of wonderful recipes – have a joy-filled weekend Robin.

2. avatar kitchen koala
    Posted 05/21/2010 at 9:47 AM | Permalink

Wonderful! How did I miss out on your entire week's worth of Blog Revival posts? I love all those old-fashioned recipes, they remind me of simpler times, before the word "foodie" was even imagined and using cake mix was nothing to be ashamed of! Church potlucks are the best :)

If you're looking for some good Bundt recipes, check out the Food Librarian's blog. She ran a 30-day "I Like Big Bundts" series in November(?) in honor of National Bundt Day.

3. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 05/21/2010 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

Great job on your first bundt. Too bad it's chocolate, LOL!
    ~ingrid

btw, yes, I realize yesterday was your birthday. I skipped the chocolate post and went straight to the good one..hee-hee.

4. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 05/21/2010 at 2:54 PM | Permalink

Oh my that looks good. And I can't believe you are taking all that sinful stuff to your 'gym's cookout'.

5. avatar grace
    Posted 05/21/2010 at 5:19 PM | Permalink

i really enjoyed your week of throwback recipes. every single one was decadent and delicious and a few brought back some really great memories. thanks. :)

6. avatar Sophie
    Posted 05/22/2010 at 10:08 AM | Permalink

Hello Robin Sue!!

I also enjoyed your reviewed recipes!

I so love this tasty, stylish & elegant Bundt cake!! Looks marvellous too!

7. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 05/22/2010 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

Ooooh. This is too good (and easy) to be true. I'm bookmarking right now.

You've never made a bundt cake before? I'm so glad you picked this cake as your bundt debut. : )

8. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 05/23/2010 at 6:10 PM | Permalink

I've never owned a bundt pan either!!!

Your cake looks amazing!!!! I love adding chocolate chips to pretty much everything baked good I make!

9. avatar Kirstin
    Posted 05/24/2010 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

that's funny (the quote)…
    That fudge cake sure looks good, but so does the peach cobbler.

10. avatar Mimi
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue,
    Just a slice of history! This recipe revival was such fun, what a great week of recipes.
    Mimi

11. avatar Online Bakery
    Posted 03/01/2011 at 4:33 AM | Permalink

I agree with Amy up there. I love that movie too.cakes on line