Blog Revival Week: Monday- Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake

We all need revival every now and again, whether it be physical, mental, or spiritual. I think Big Red Kitchen needs a revival, she’s been a bit back-slidden of late. So I thought a revival would boost the kitchen soul. Kind of like a good old-fashioned Southern Baptist Tent Revival minus the long hell-fire sermons, women fanning themselves, and the occasional blurt of “Amen” and “Preach on Brother.” All eyes were on the Southern lady dessert parade.So to revive BRK, I am offering a week’s worth of delicious dessert dishes I remember enjoying as a young girl attending tons of church potlucks where the ladies set up tables inside the church basement laden with generous offerings of their labors. Pies, cakes, cookies, bars, brownies, and puddings. The men and children not missing what was carted in from car to church, always offered to hold the door, carry a dish, or set up chairs in hopes to spy the visual ambrosia of sweets. All eyes were on the Southern lady dessert parade. Most of the time I couldn’t hardly concentrate on the sermon as I was plotting which dessert I would choose- Miss Doris’ Banana Pudding, Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake, Miss Jean’s Peach Cobbler, Miss Mary’s Velvet Almond Fudge Cake, or Miss Valerie’s Drippy Cake- I even prayed the preacher would hurry it up, cuz dessert was awaitn’.

Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake
2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
20 ounce can (about 2 cups) crushed pineapple, in juice, don’t drain
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- I left out due to allergies

Mix all together until smooth. Pour into greased 9×13 inch baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW!

Icing
8 ounces cream cheese
4 T. butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- optional

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add Vanilla. Slowly add sugar and blend after each addition. Fold in nuts if desired. Ice cake while still a bit warm. Serves many as this cake is rich and sweet, so cut the pieces small as you can always have seconds.

UPDATE: 5/28/2012-
Some folks have commented that this cake has given them trouble, so I quickly made another and here are some tips that may help…
1. For high altitude baking help, go to highaltitudebaking.com.
2. I did mix all the ingredients together at once on medium speed for about 45 seconds. I used PAM on the dish.
3. Clear glass 9x 13 inch baking dishes, try lowering the heat to 325 and bake for 25 minutes- some have even reported up to 40 minutes in a clear glass dish- remember oven temps can greatly differ. Metal pans (which I used the first time) handled the 350 for 25 minutes- but I think clear glass is the best choice for this cake. Dark glass takes even longer than clear glass, so try 325 for a few minutes longer.
4. The texture of this cake has a coarse sticky sponge-like crumb. It is very rustic and may remind one of a less dense fruit cake.  It is very different than any other cake texture I have tried. Even lovely without the icing and served warm with vanilla ice cream!
5. Please add the nuts if you can, I can’t- allergies. Also some said they added cinnamon or coconut too, give that a try, be creative. Some even made these into cupcakes!
6. If you have any questions, read through the comments first, I may have answered it already!

I feel terrible when folks say a recipe did not work out for them. I do my best to give the best instructions. Thank you all for your honest reviews and being kind with your critiques! This is a really nice cake, so give it a try with my updated tips. I hope this helps.

Ya’ll come back all week as Big Red Kitchen highlights a new dessert every day during Blog Revival Week. It’ll do your sweet-tooth soul some good. Bring your friends. Do I get an AMEN!

Happy Birthday Little Brother Rob!! Schplickitee-Schplaka Lagga Ding! Ding!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Peter M
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 6:21 AM | Permalink

It appears we have alot to be thankful for, Miss Susan!

Love me a slab of this pineapple cake.

• avatar bbmama
      Posted 06/02/2012 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Just made it with a 9×13 glass pan at 325 degrees- took about 40-45 minutes to cook evenly. I only use whole wheat flour, natural cane sugar, walnuts on one side (plain for kids on other side) and added flax powder. It looks browner than probably w/white flour, but cooked very nicely and has a nice soft, but denser feel to it. Inside is cooked very nicely. I can’t wait to frost it and serve it tomorrow for my sister’s birthday bbq here! Just wanted everyone to know that it worked. Thanks for the temp tip for a glass baker.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 06/02/2012 at 1:06 PM | Permalink

Thank you bbmama for the tips on using whole wheat flour and natural cane sugar- good to know these ingredients work well too!
      Enjoy!
      Robin Sue

• Posted 01/26/2013 at 10:08 PM | Permalink

when you havea cake that is too dry, one of two things, you over beat it,or over baked it, and some time it not your fault at all. with most cakesi bake they alway come out very moist, i use sour crean in all my cakes, 1or 2 tabs. next time try sour crean, or mayo.

• avatar Tracye
      Posted 06/01/2013 at 6:03 PM | Permalink

I use a sheet cake pan and it works great! been making it for 30 years!

2. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 6:23 AM | Permalink

Amen Sista! I'll be in the Big Red Kitchen every time the doors are opened!!!

3. avatar Amy
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 6:38 AM | Permalink

AMEN! This looks delicious. Glad you're in revival mode – love your blog.

4. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 8:20 AM | Permalink

MMmm. Thank you, Miss Susan. This looks so moist and delicious. I wish I had made this for our family's pineapple throwdown! Maybe that trophy would be gracing my kitchen now!!!!

5. avatar Grumpy and HoneyB
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 9:24 AM | Permalink

Oh yeah, a pineapple sheet cake to draw us in and keep us coming back for more!

6. avatar snarflemarfle
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 9:28 AM | Permalink

Gotta love a good potluck!! I specifically remember one from my childhood when I went with my grandmother to a lutheran potluck. I was young, therefore cute, so all the little old ladies would bring me little bites of all their food!

LOVED IT!!!

7. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 10:25 AM | Permalink

Will you be sharing recipes for Miss Doris' Banana Pudding, Miss Jean's Peach Cobbler, Miss Mary's Velvet Almond Fudge Cake, or Miss Valerie's Drippy Cake?? I hope so!!!! Thanks for a great blog.

8. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 10:29 AM | Permalink

Now that looks good.

That photo makes me want to reach in and take a swipe at the drip of frosting!
    ~ingrid

9. avatar Fallon
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

MM Love dessert. Great idea!!!

Love the simple pineapple cake too. The cream cheese frosting is a great addition.

10. avatar Karen
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

Amen, sistah! LOL I've been using this recipe for years and it is so rich and delicious. I call it "Chanda's Pineapple Cake" because I got the recipe from Chanda!

11. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 11:57 AM | Permalink

Anon- yes all the Southern Lady recipes will be here all week. Come on back.

12. avatar Maria
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 12:03 PM | Permalink

The cake looks wonderful!

13. avatar Natalie
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 2:08 PM | Permalink

Love this idea, about as much as I love church potlucks! Can't wait to see what else you post this week!

14. avatar Greg and Donna
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 3:47 PM | Permalink

Amen Sister! Do you deliver to Miss.?

15. avatar Mimi
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 4:37 PM | Permalink

A yummy cake. Can't wait to see the recipes of the other Ladies.
    Mimi

16. avatar grace
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

if the rest of the desserts are as luscious and memory-evoking as this one, i can hardly wait. hallelujah, robin sue. :)

17. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 5:35 PM | Permalink

Robin, you are wrong. So so wrong. In a sweet kinda way. :) A whole week huh? Be still my heart.

18. avatar vanillasugar
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 5:48 PM | Permalink

a big slice of this and a huge glass of ice cold milk and i am good. happy as a pig in shit. LOL

19. avatar Lori
    Posted 05/17/2010 at 9:03 PM | Permalink

Amen sistah! Bring it on baby!

While we are waiting for the rest of these yum desserts- can you pass me a slice of that?

20. avatar Gigi
    Posted 05/18/2010 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

I HAD to make this cake after reading about it and seeing the picture. And it is amazing, but fell in the middle. Was I supposed to drain the pineapple? Just wondering because I'll be making it again even if it falls again.
    D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!

21. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 05/18/2010 at 1:38 PM | Permalink

Gigi- No you do not have to drain the pineapple. Hmm wonder why it fell? I did make sure to cook mine until it did get a bit brown on top, I was scared I had over cooked it but it was fine. Try cooking it a bit longer?? I think draining the pineapple a little would not hurt it. My batter was on the thin side. Hope it works out for you!

22. avatar Gigi
    Posted 05/18/2010 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Thanks Robin Sue – I just made a second cake and it turned out great! Maybe I over mixed the first one. Either way, now I have one to take to bunko tonight and one for my family to enjoy at home. Thanks again for a great recipe! I love finding new things on your blog.

23. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 05/18/2010 at 10:18 PM | Permalink

Gigi- That is good news! I had to cut a few pieces of ours to stash away in the freezer for future use!!

• avatar debbie curry
      Posted 01/28/2013 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

I seen a comment that they were going to freeze this, so this freezes well? This looks so good, I am going to make it, but I can never eat a whole cake, so I would love to be able to freeze it.

• avatar Robin Sue
      Posted 01/29/2013 at 8:28 AM | Permalink

Yes it freezes well!

24. avatar Adele Forbes
    Posted 01/09/2012 at 10:26 PM | Permalink

That looks so very wonderful I can hardly contain my taste buds..thank you so very much for sharing!

25. avatar Debora Cadene
    Posted 01/11/2012 at 8:49 PM | Permalink

This looks wonderful.Does it need any sort of fat like oil or butter?

• avatar Cassie
      Posted 01/06/2013 at 3:17 PM | Permalink

I just made it last night just like it says (in a clear glass pan on 325 for 40min) and it was wonderful! Reminded me a cakbe my Great Grandma used to make!

• avatar Michelle LaBrie
      Posted 02/17/2013 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

OH MY…HUBBY MADE THIS CAKE FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND IT WAS DELICIOUS!! <3

7 Trackbacks

1. By Pineapple Loaf Cake « Leslie the Foodie on 04/27/2012 at 3:50 PM

[...] inspiration for this recipe came from Miss Susan’s Pineapple Sheet Cake recipe, which I found on Pinterest.  From this recipe I decided to make a few changes.  I decided [...]

2. [...] This week I decided to make spaghetti pie and pineapple sheet cake.  Here’s the story.  We were going over to my Dad’s on Memorial Day and I wanted to bring a dessert.  I visited my “Pinterest dessert board” and began browsing.  I settled on this cake as I had all the ingredients in the pantry, and it sounded really yummy. Well it is yummy.  So yummy that I didn’t even frost the cake.  The original recipe calls for a cream cheese frosting that sounds delightful.  However,  Memorial Day was REALLY HOT, and I wanted something light for dessert. I do love a cream cheese frosting, but it sounded really heavy.  Instead of the frosting, I just used some whipped cream.  I got rave reviews of the cake, and I would definitely make it again…maybe next time I’d add some shredded coconut to the batter…YUM.   Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2010/05/blog-revival-week-monday-miss-susans-pineapple-sheet-cake/ [...]

3. [...] The cake sounded perfect for the great summer weather we have been having!  Click HERE for the recipe! [...]

4. By Hello Again! « Copy Cat Alley on 08/26/2012 at 11:26 PM

[...] didn’t want my dessert pins to feel neglected, and I so wanted Big Red Kitchen’s Pineapple Sheet Cake from the moment I first laid eyes on the picture! This is one recipe that did not disappoint! [...]

5. By Pineapple Sheet Cake on 02/13/2013 at 10:59 PM

[...] to about 25 people. Cut into small or big blocks! Enjoy!!!!   Original Recipe from Pinterest!!!! http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2010/05/blog-revival-week-monday-miss-susans-pineapple-sheet-cake/ Filed Under: Breads, Muffins & Pastries, Cakes, [...]

6. [...] You can find the recipe for the Pineapple Sheet Cake w/ Cream Cheese Icing HERE [...]

7. By Pineapple Sheet Cake | Juanita's Cocina on 07/30/2013 at 3:56 PM

[...] printed on the Big Red Kitchen, this cake caught my eye for a few reasons.  First, I have fallen in love with the wonderous [...]