Stewed Tomatoes Two Ways

Stewed Tomatoes Over Mac and Cheese
One batch Mac and Cheese
When making the Mac and Cheese recipe, cook the butter until browned, then add the flour. Also add 1 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika.

3 pounds Roma tomatoes, diced
1 stick butter
Kosher salt to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 T. sugar
2 tsp. Herbes de Provence

In a large skillet melt butter and add tomatoes and sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Add spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer uncovered over low heat until the tomatoes thicken, about 20 minutes. Place hot Mac and Cheese on a large platter and top with Stewed Tomatoes. Serves 10-12.

Eggs in Stewed Tomatoes
Make Stewed Tomatoes as stated above. Make 6 wells in the tomatoes using that back of a large spoon. Crack one egg in each of the 6 wells. Cover and let simmer over low until you get the eggs to your preferred doneness. Using a large flat spatula, lift each egg with surrounding tomatoes into shallow bowls. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped herbes of choice, like basil or parsley. Serve with toasted Artisan Bread, olives, and sausage on the side. Serves 6.

Stewed Tomatoes is also wonderful over fish.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar robklause
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

Wow– The egg dish looks amazing!

2. avatar 12th Man Training Table
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 7:54 AM | Permalink

Now I just need to grow me some tomatoes!

3. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 9:28 AM | Permalink

I'm not a fan of tomatoes but your mac & cheese suggestions sounds DELISH! Love brown butter anything.
    ~ingrid

4. avatar biz319
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 10:28 AM | Permalink

You brought back memories for me Robin Sue! My Dad, who passed away over 10 years ago, LOVED stewed tomatoes – and would put them over anything!

He would have loved the one with the eggs – he never thought of that!

5. avatar Cindy Rowland
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

Ummm. I'm loving anything with an sunny side egg in the middle these days.

6. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 11:30 AM | Permalink

I want to love this, but I'm on the fence. I keep trying tomatoes cooked/stewed/warmed/grilled, and I still just prefer mine in the raw better. I always feel like they have a bitter taste when I cook them. Think I'm cooking them too long?

7. avatar FOODalogue
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 11:57 AM | Permalink

I would not have thought of cooking the tomatoes down in butter but they look beautiful and I'm sure tasted delicious.

8. avatar Mimi
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 12:40 PM | Permalink

this will be fabulous when the garedn tomatoes are ripe.
    Mimi

9. avatar grace
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 4:23 PM | Permalink

how marvelous. who knew simple tomatoes held so much potential for greatness?

10. avatar Miriam Leigh
    Posted 05/25/2010 at 11:36 PM | Permalink

I love the egg variation… I eat eggs for dinner all the time, so this is perfect!

11. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 05/26/2010 at 3:05 AM | Permalink

That egg dish is popular down here – well it's similar to yours anyways. I noticed my potted Roma has a boatload of blooms on it now (finally) so this gal has her fingers crossed it produces. I love tomatoes in all forms and methods, most especially when they are fresh from the garden!

12. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 05/26/2010 at 6:46 AM | Permalink

What a great idea! I'm thinking of many ways to use that stewed tomatoes already!

13. avatar EAT!
    Posted 05/26/2010 at 5:53 PM | Permalink

I love eggs and tomatoes. This is on my menu for Sunday morning.

14. avatar Karen
    Posted 05/27/2010 at 2:17 PM | Permalink

Looks good–especially the egg dish. We planted some romas in the garden this year, so can't wait to harvest!

15. avatar ColleenM
    Posted 05/28/2010 at 6:18 PM | Permalink

In the winter, I drain a 10# roma tomato can from Costco (saving the puree)and roast the tomatoes with a TBS of sugar, about half of the butter you use (or sometimes olive oil), finely chopped onion and chiffonade basil (or Trader Joes frozen basil cubes) – no added salt because the roasting concentrates the flavors. My base for chicken tikka, cobb pasta and tomato cream sauce! ColleenM