Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

The original and unique Cinnamon Roll Pancake recipe created by Robin Sue!

My little Deven loves pancakes and wants me to make them all the time, but I don’t often enough. Late last night my friend had spotted this Cinnamon Bun Pancake Recipe from the blogisphere and posted it on her Facebook status suggesting for her daughter to make them. Wow, Cinnamon Bun Pancakes, that would be a winner in my house too. So I went to bed with pancakes dancing in my head. I dreamed up ways to make this pancake recipe look and taste more like a cinnamon roll. I wanted a Cinnamon Roll Pancake that had a Cinnamon Roll’s telltale swirl, here is what I did…

I created a typical cinnamon roll filling and placed it in a pastry bag to be swirled over the pancakes as they cooked. I also added cream cheese to the icing and placed the icing in a pastry bag as well. It makes it very easy to fill the bags if you stand them up in tall tumblers.

After pouring 1/4 cup pancake batter in a hot skillet, I swirled the cinnamon filling mixture over top. Once the pancakes bubbled evenly, I flipped them over to cook about 30 seconds more. I plated the pancakes and squeezed icing over top. My children liked a bit of maple syrup over top too. These tasted just like pancakes and cinnamon rolls swirled into one. Although there were a few steps to this, I used only one bowl, and the end results were wonderful. With a side of sausage or bacon and some fruit, this dish is beautiful.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
For the Cinnamon Filling…
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix until smooth:
1 stick softened butter, almost melty
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 T. cinnamon

Using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides, pour this mixture into a large pastry bag that had been opened and stood up in a tall tumbler. A large ziptop bag with the edges folded over the tumbler would work too.

For the Cream Cheese Icing…
In the same bowl that you used for the cinnamon filling, mix together, using the hand mixer again:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 T. milk

Mix until smooth and pour into a second pastry bag just like you did with the cinnamon mixture above.

For the Pancakes…
In the same bowl that you used for the filling and the icing- no need to be using or washing too many bowls now- mix together:
2 cups pancake mix- I used Bisquick’s Heart Healthy
3 eggs
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 T. powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups milk

Using the hand mixer, blend until smooth. In a large non-stick skillet, over medium to medium-low heat, and using a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup, ladle 2 pancakes. Snip the tip off the pastry bag containing the cinnamon filling so that the opening is a scant 1/2 inch wide, swirl over cooking pancakes in a circular motion- 3 go-a-rounds should do. Continue to cook the pancakes until bubbles form evenly through each cake. Gently flip each pancake over and cook another 30-45 seconds, remove to a serving platter and serve immediately or keep warm covered in a warm oven. Continue with the rest of the batter. Place 2-3 pancakes side by side (too pretty to stack!) on each person’s plate and drizzle each one with icing. Serve maple syrup, bacon or sausage, and fruit on the side. Makes 18 pancakes.

Note- Using a damp paper towel, wipe your skillet after each pancake is made. This will keep the next pancake from sticking to any of the cinnamon filling that has leaked onto your skillet or griddle.
After I swirled each pancake with the cinnamon filling, I returned the pastry bag, tip down in the tumbler. This kept it from leaking all over.
Store any leftover icing in the refrigerator for future use.

Now I’ve created BAKED Cinnamon Roll Pancakes!

Another Thing of Interest!
Quick Cinnamon Rolls

Have a great Weekend!

Hey this recipe would be perfect for Father’s Day, June 20th…

DSC02865Try my New Triple Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Carolyn
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 6:37 AM | Permalink

Gorgeous!

2. avatar 12th Man Training Table
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 7:20 AM | Permalink

You had me at "cinnamon roll."

Sealed the deal when I saw "one bowl."

Nominating you for sainthood …

3. avatar Peter M
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 7:49 AM | Permalink

I'm swooning at the look and sound of these…gotta try these on the weekend!

4. avatar Alison
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 8:00 AM | Permalink

These look absolutely phenomenal!!!

5. avatar Greg and Donna
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

Gotta love a combination of cinnamon rolls and pancakes. Those look decadent!

6. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 11:20 AM | Permalink

My Devon (& his siblings) LOVE pancakes. Unless there's baseball involved they get them every Sunday. When baseball puts a wrench in their Sunday am pancakes they get them for dinner! :) Along with pancakes my guys also enjoy cinnamon rolls. All that said, I think they'll LOVE these pancakes. Thanks! I can't wait to give 'em a try.

Btw, booooo to chocolate trifles. :) I kid, sorta! LOL
    ~ingrid

7. avatar Sunshine Mom
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 11:38 AM | Permalink

Okay, these look sooooooo good! I can't wait for the weekend so I can make them!!

8. avatar Kelly
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 11:44 AM | Permalink

OMG, I think I love you. 😉 This is GENIUS! I was wondering how the heck you got the swirl in there then saw the in progress pic – genius! I'm so totally making these this weekend.

9. avatar Mimi
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

My high schoolers have a late start every Wednesday, so that is pancake day at our house. These will be a wonderful surprise next week.
    Mimi

10. avatar Patsyk
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Wow! I love these pancakes! Thanks for the step-by-step photos, too!

11. avatar Adrienne
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 3:10 PM | Permalink

Those look amazing! I'll have to try this out next time we have company to impress.

12. avatar grace
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 4:03 PM | Permalink

what i'm experience right now is love. true love. for you, for pancakes, for cinnamon rolls, and for ingenuity in general. bravo!!

13. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 4:22 PM | Permalink

What a great idea! and they look so pretty!

14. avatar smilinggreenmom
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 6:12 PM | Permalink

Wow these look incredible and awesome! I love cinnamon rolls sooo much and our kids would just flip for these! I always make pancakes using Kamut Wheat and I think with this healthy ingredient, I might just be able to get over all the sugar LOL! Are these hard? They look very time consuming – but so worth it. Hey – I would love for you to visit my green and healthy living blog smilinggreenmom if you can 😀 I love your blog!

15. avatar Amy
    Posted 06/10/2010 at 9:07 PM | Permalink

One of my children leaned in for her good-night hug while I was looking at this post. End result-this will be breakfast this Saturday morning! She's leaving on Sunday for a six-week summer program and this will be a great way to start her last day with us.

16. avatar Kelly
    Posted 06/11/2010 at 12:45 AM | Permalink

That looks amazing! I want to taste them right now please :)

17. avatar Pattie T.
    Posted 06/11/2010 at 11:08 AM | Permalink

This is just too cool! How clever of you. I'm trying these this weekend. Lately I've been collecting pancake recipes and checking out pancake books at the library. This is the first time I've seen anything like this.

18. avatar vanillasugar
    Posted 06/11/2010 at 1:26 PM | Permalink

you are so very clever. my hubby would love this, so would i. very cute sue!

19. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 06/11/2010 at 3:26 PM | Permalink

These are awesome, Robin. They look as good as they sound.

20. avatar Maytina
    Posted 06/12/2010 at 12:57 AM | Permalink

Genius! This is one I'm using for sure, thanks for posting it. What a great idea, my kids are going to get a kick out of these. 😀

21. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 06/12/2010 at 10:38 AM | Permalink

I'm drooling! They look so good. I'm thinking of all kinds of variations you could do on this.

22. avatar Cookin' Canuck
    Posted 06/12/2010 at 10:50 AM | Permalink

These are brilliant! My family would be head over heels for these pretty pancakes.

23. avatar Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted 06/12/2010 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

This is absolute genius!! Yumm :)

24. avatar Anonymous
    Posted 06/12/2010 at 11:25 AM | Permalink

WOW! Just found your blog linked to another I read and I am hooked. These pancakes seal the deal! Cannot wait to make them!!!

25. avatar Karen
    Posted 06/12/2010 at 11:51 AM | Permalink

Made these for the family this morning to rave reviews! Thanks for the great idea. I will be making these again.