She Calls Them Butterfly Buns, I Call Them Faerie Cakes

Whatever you call them, these are adorable little cakes. I found this recipe on the Daily Mail, an online “newspaper” where I get my fill of world news and gossip. But one day they ran a nice story about Diane Halliday who, to help the family farm, began her baking business. She names her mother’s recipes as the key to her success and included one for Butterfly Buns. I would say these are more like little pound cakes than buns so I changed the name to Faerie Cakes. Plus I like Faeries. Let me warn you that these cakes are incredibly rich and dense with the dab of raspberry jam lending wonderful flavor. There is no vanilla in the cake or icing which is fine with me, I am a sweet cream ice cream kind of gal. If you want flavoring, add it.

My boys wanted to call the raspberry jelly Faerie blood, but Daelyn and I corrected them letting them know that it was Faerie nectar. My boys thought that the cake was dry, but it is not so, they are just used to regular cupcakes and not pound cake. I think I have ruined them on too many cake mixes, shame on me!

Here is little Dae helping me put the heads on the wee Fae.

Faerie Cakes- by Diane Halliday
450g (1lb) margarine, I used butter
450g (1lb) sugar
8 eggs
675g (1½lb) cake flour- I used King Arthur’s unbleached cake flour

For the butter icing- Double this or you will not have enough!
115g (4oz) softened butter
225g (8oz) sieved icing sugar
2 tbsp water

Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Or 350 degrees!
Cream together the margarine and sugar. Whisk the eggs, then add to the mixture with the cake flour and beat well. Fill 24 cupcake liners with batter and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Once cooked allow to cool. (Do not over cook or the tops will be too crispy and will break easily.)

For the butter icing, mix all the ingredients together, adding more icing sugar if too wet. Cut a well out of the centre of each cake. Cut the lid in half to form butterfly wings, and keep to one side. Fill the well with a little jam and then piped butter icing. Top the cake with the butterfly wings placed at an angle in the icing, dust with icing sugar (faerie dust) and place a small piece of cherry on top. Makes 24 cakes.

I stored our Faerie Cakes in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Kudos Kitchen
    Posted 07/30/2010 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

These are so cute and look yummy too. Just an FYI, you could call them 'faerie buns' and then everybody is happy :)

2. avatar 12th Man Training Table
    Posted 07/30/2010 at 10:13 AM | Permalink

i have no idea why … but i love any recipe, and specifically a dessert, that goes by more than one name. Around Christmas, everyone in our family makes these little ball cookies with almonds dipped in powdered sugar, which are called Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Sandballs, and about a dozen other names. I think multiple names for one thing help your brain to generate new pathways, helping you stay young. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

3. avatar grace
    Posted 07/30/2010 at 4:51 PM | Permalink

but robin sue, you misspelled fairy! :)
    these look like great little cakes–i find the notion of faerie blood macabre and delicious. :)

4. avatar Rob
    Posted 07/30/2010 at 8:33 PM | Permalink

Faerie Bloooood! Love that. :)

I wonder if there's a difference in moisture content in butter vs. margarine. The extra WD40 (or whatever extra hydrogenated and other molecular machinations) present in margarine maybe lending to a more moist Faerie cake?

5. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 07/31/2010 at 5:21 PM | Permalink

Oh, that's too funny! Faerie blood! That's something Sam would say too. haha
    I'm with you on liking sweetened cream over frosting. And with a dab of fruity goodness, these sound good to me.

6. avatar Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted 08/01/2010 at 6:04 PM | Permalink

Faerie blood! That's so gory sounding for something so adorable!! Wish I had one :)

7. avatar fotographiafoodie
    Posted 08/02/2010 at 12:59 AM | Permalink

This looks so lovely, definitely deserves the name 'fairy'. Thanks for this!

8. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 08/04/2010 at 10:20 AM | Permalink

Ha-ha! How like boys to go for the gory! :) They're pretty. I can see little girls daintily gobbling them up.
    ~ingrid

9. avatar Carly
    Posted 08/10/2010 at 10:48 AM | Permalink

Hi Robin Sue,

Ah Fairy Cakes – yum! Takes me back to the joys of childhood baking with my mother – although we used to put a dab of raspberry jam on top instead of a cherry. Do you find your kids prefer the actual cooking part or the decorating more? It’s great that you post family cooking stories. Cooking with your family allows every family member to check in with each other, learn life skills together and get a better sense of how to eat mindfully and healthily. Research has shown that kids that eat with their families do better in school, are healthier and have better communication skills.

That’s why I work with a group called the Monday Campaigns, who are the nonprofit public health organization behind Healthy Monday. We recently launched The Kids Cook Monday, which is a weekly chance for families to cook together and take their health into their own hands. Please find out more here: http://www.healthymonday.org/the-kids-cook-monday/. We are looking for family friendly blogs to do weekly posts to help spread the word about The Kids Cook Monday. If you’d be interested in doing weekly posts, please contact me at mondaycampaigns@gmail.com.

Thanks!