I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Farmer’s Market Tour and Le Grande Aioli

We or should I say oui, had a very French day last Saturday. Friends and I strolled the historical Lake Anne Farmer’s Market, purchased the freshest fruits, vegetables, herbs, honey, and bread to bring back to Big Red Kitchen to cook up for our Le Grande Aioli Feast. Nothing highlights summer produce better than this Provençal style meal. With our tables laden with fresh roasted chicken, rotisserie roasted beef, perfectly cooked vegetables, and beautifully grilled peaches, we sampled, chatted, dipped plenty of Aioli in a lingering afternoon meal. All of this was sponsored by I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter. ICBINB has asked bloggers around the country to bring their friends to a local farmer’s market, purchase fresh produce, then go back to that blogger’s home to cook their finds all using ICBINB products. They want consumers to recognize that their products are perfect alternatives to regular butter in that they have less saturated fats, and regular margarine in that they have no hydrogenated oils.

So we did just that! We ran around my favorite market and brought back some delicious produce to cook in Big Red Kitchen. For starters we had Lemon Ricotta Lasagna Caprese and a Smoked Salmon Platter. For the lasagna mix ricotta with lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley all to taste. Between cut to size lasagna noodles, layer cheese with basil leaves, tomatoes, and more noodles just as you would a regular lasagna. Top ribbons of basil, a drizzle of olive oil along with reduced balsamic vinegar, and a curl of Parmesan cheese. Where’s the ICBINB in this recipe? I boiled the noodles with a dollop of the spread to flavor the water and keep the noodles from sticking.

For our main course, we dined on Pan Roasted Parsley Potatoes, done with salt and pepper to taste, ICBINB, and fresh parsley. For the meats, Spatchcock Roasted Chicken which was rubbed with ICBINB and Herbes de Provence along with Rotisserie Roast Beef. On the platter also was Sauteed Green Beans topped with Caramelized Onions. The beans as well as the onions were done with ICBINB, salt and pepper. We garnished the platters in typical Le Grande Aioli fashion with hard cooked eggs and black olives.

Another side dish served along side our feast was Roasted Sweet Potato Salad. The potatoes were roasted with ICBINB and pumpkin spices then tossed with chickpeas, red onion, and a tahini dressing. We also had Stuffed Roasted Sweet Peppers made with bread crumbs, ICBINB, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and garlic, but I failed to get a photo of it, grrr.

Here is a shot of one of the tables and its bounty! You can see the Smoked Salmon Platter which was smoked salmon, red onion, capers, honey from the market, and Horseradish Spread made with ICBINB mixed with horseradish. This was served atop Garlic Toasts. To make the garlic toasts we sliced a fresh French baguette, sprayed on ICBINB, baked the slices, and rubbed them with fresh garlic cloves. At the bottom right of the photo you can see our Aioli which is ICBINB whipped with roasted garlic. This version proved to be lower in saturated fats, and had no cholesterol, and was pretty tasty as well.

To every one’s delight, we followed the meal with Grilled Peaches with Praline Sauce a la Mode. The peaches were spritzed with ICBINB prior to grilling and I had substituted ICBINB in the praline sauce for butter and it tasted fantastic.

Below is a video clip, only 3 minutes, of our time at the market and in Big Red Kitchen cooking our Le Grande Aioli. Twelve people cooked this entire meal in 1 HOUR!

Disclosure- ICBINB provided me with a Flip Video Camera- for keepsies!, enough money to compensate for the entire shopping spree and meal, free products, shopping bags, and coupons. Thank you ICBINB!

I would also like to thank all my friends who attended, cooked like champions, and washed all my dishes. Thanks a million!

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar 12th Man Training Table
    Posted 08/16/2010 at 9:10 AM | Permalink

looks like a great weekend!

2. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 08/16/2010 at 11:39 AM | Permalink

Looks amazing..Just like everything else you do! ICBINB – made a believer out of me – your meal looked delicious!!!

3. avatar Tracy
    Posted 08/16/2010 at 4:28 PM | Permalink

Hi Robin,

Thank you so much for a fabulous day! Delicious food, great company and loads of laughter, this is what weekends should be made of. Thank you for introducing me to ICBINB, so glad to see that it's a Gluten Free product!

Looking forward to the next Big Red Kitchen event!

Tracy Hanford

4. avatar Alison @ Hospitality Haven
    Posted 08/16/2010 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

That looks like so much fun!!

5. avatar Rachel (Two Healthy Plates)
    Posted 08/16/2010 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

The recipe for sweet potato and chickpea salad looks great, I've got to try it soon! I've been on a kick with sweet potato and black beans recently but this sounds fabulous!

6. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 08/17/2010 at 9:40 AM | Permalink

Sounds like a lot of fun. I love the idea of shopping with friends, then heading back to the kitchen to create all that delicious food. And I'm not sure what the biggest perk would be… them cleaning up the kitchen or the flip camera. LOL

Robin, it never occurred to me that we could have met up when I was in D.C.! As my nephew would say – "Awww, dang-it!" That would have been so much fun!

7. avatar biz319
    Posted 08/17/2010 at 2:56 PM | Permalink

Why can't we live closer Robin Sue??!! What a great time with great friends – who knew you could do all that with ICBINB?!

8. avatar grace
    Posted 08/17/2010 at 5:54 PM | Permalink

grilled peaches? yum. add in some praline sauce? i'm done. :)

9. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 08/18/2010 at 12:41 PM | Permalink

VERY nice! My family has always used ICBINB for years. I've also done a review for them. They are very generous.

Everything looked great!
    ~ingrid

10. avatar Karen
    Posted 08/18/2010 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

What a fun day! It looks like after you cooked in the Big Red Kitchen, you ate in the Big Red Dining Room! LOL

11. avatar Natasha @ Saved By The Egg Timer
    Posted 08/18/2010 at 2:52 PM | Permalink

Thanks again for your advice! Those grilled peaches look so yummy, there is a truck on the corner down the road from me that is selling "Georgia Peaches"…so I am on my way to buy a bag and try this!

12. avatar Jessica
    Posted 08/19/2010 at 2:53 AM | Permalink

How fun! I love spray butter!

13. avatar Penny
    Posted 08/19/2010 at 7:10 AM | Permalink

What a great day! You are so good at organizing events like this. I'm sure all of your friends had a blast.

14. avatar Jenny
    Posted 08/19/2010 at 9:53 AM | Permalink

What Fun! Lucky you getting to do something like this. You seem like a natural in organizing events.

15. avatar Sandie {A Bloggable Life}
    Posted 08/20/2010 at 8:21 AM | Permalink

Robin—your event turned out lovely, and such a great post about it too! I participated in Kristen's ICBINB Farmers' Market Event, & we had a blast! Really enjoyed seeing how the day went for your group as well—how neat!

16. avatar Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted 08/20/2010 at 5:45 PM | Permalink

LUCKY!!! That's so awesome.

I love ICBINB, I use it all the time.

Thanks for the re-cap!

17. avatar Sheila
    Posted 08/20/2010 at 6:56 PM | Permalink

Ooh, the sweet potato salad looks fabulous!

Mel and I visited the farmers market in Idaho each Saturday I was there; it was terrific and I am certain Mel will do it each Saturday to get great produce. Now she will just have to get the ICBINB!

18. avatar tamilyn
    Posted 08/26/2010 at 10:25 PM | Permalink

Wow, that looks like a very fun day!