Peanut Butter Chiffon Pie

Himself likes Peanut Butter Pie. If it is on the menu at any restaurant, he orders it, unless Crème brûlée is on the menu of course. He has had some good ones and some bad. A very long time ago he had the best Peanut Butter Pie he has ever had, I failed to get the recipe. After that, I made a Peanut Butter Pie– once. “It just isn’t like the one at that party,” he said. So no more Peanut Butter pies for him. Last week Himself asked me why I don’t make him Peanut Butter Pies- see how they forget? My new quest is to find Himself’s favorite Peanut Butter Pie. Once I find it, would it really be his favorite, because right around the corner he may eat another Peanut Butter pie and deem it best? My goal is that someday Himself will order Peanut Butter Pie while out and say, “this Peanut Butter Pie comes nowhere near my Robin Sue’s, she makes the best!”

Peanut Butter Chiffon Pie- Trial #1
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup cold water
2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter- I used natural
1 cup sour cream
1 chocolate pie shell

1 pint whipping cream whipped with 3 T. powdered sugar, and Whip it.

Soften gelatin in cold water. Beat egg yolks, sugar, and salt together in top of double boiler, stir in gelatin and cook over boiling water, beating constantly with rotary beater, until mixture is thick and fluffy- about 10 minutes, it will be like thick and fluffy cake batter. Remove from heat and blend in peanut butter. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold with sour cream into gelatin mixture. Pour into pie shell and chill in refrigerator until firm. Serve topped with whipped cream. Serves 8-10.

Robin Sue’s Notes- Have all ingredients ready to go, even beat egg whites prior to starting. Cooking over the double boiler took some time, but I feel it is worth it.
Crust- unremarkable, I think a real pie crust would be better. 3/10
Peanut Butter Filling- creamy and fluffy like a mousse. Very tasty. Not overly rich or sweet. Really like the sour cream flavor. 8/10
Topping- I love homemade whipped cream! 10/10
Topper- drizzle of chocolate sauce. Meh. Needs something different but not over powering. 5/10
Repeat- Filling and Topping yes, needs new crust and topper.

Himself’s Notes- 5/10. “It is the worst Peanut Butter Pie you have ever made.” (It’s the first trial, so it could be the best too!) “I like the peanut butter filling a little more dense like pudding, keep trying.” Himself says with a hopeful twinkle in his eyes.

Hey a little splash of red on that pie and I would have a Burberry designer pie.

Do you have a good Peanut Butter Pie that you think Himself would like?

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 7:00 AM | Permalink

I can't wait to follow this one, Robin. I want the recipe for the best peanut butter pie too. In the meantime though, the no-bake one I made a while back is pretty dang awesome. (And it's still my most popular post, so that has to say something for it, right? It comes from Tasty Kitchen)

2. avatar Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 8:32 AM | Permalink

I've got no links, but am eagerly watching this one!

3. avatar Lauren
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 10:54 AM | Permalink

No Bake Desserts rank high in my book especially in the summer. I hate having to turn on the oven and heat up the whole house. I like that this recipe only using the stove top. I work with Better Recipes and some of my most favorite don't involve the oven at all. Additionally I am a hugh fan of chocolate and peanut butter, especially together! Can't wait to try this one!

4. avatar pigpigscorner
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

I can't wait to see your best PB pie recipe!

5. avatar Natalie
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 1:17 PM | Permalink

Ha oh husbands! These maybe aren't as traditional but they're two of my favorites: http://www.thesweetslife.com/2009/09/frozen-peanut-butter-pie.html http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/02/chocolate-peanut-butter-torte.html

Maybe he'll like them as much as pb pie? :)

6. avatar Ingrid
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 2:41 PM | Permalink

Being that no one in my house is crazy about PB I've got nothing for ya Robin Sue. I will though excitedly try "the one" when you find it! :)
    ~ingrid

7. avatar grace
    Posted 08/30/2010 at 6:10 PM | Permalink

i have faith that you'll find the one for your one, robin sue. my go-to pb pie is simply cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, cool whip, and pb–so good.

8. avatar Mimi
    Posted 08/31/2010 at 2:09 PM | Permalink

I love PB anything, so I'm eagerly awaiting your best recipe, although I'm pretty sure I'll have to make all the runners up too.
    Mimi

9. avatar lauren at KeepItSweet
    Posted 08/31/2010 at 2:31 PM | Permalink

I have a recipe I'll be trying out in a few weeks for peanut butter pie… Hopefully it will be a 10/10!

10. avatar Lori
    Posted 08/31/2010 at 10:12 PM | Permalink

Oh just marry me Robin Sue!

11. avatar High Plains Drifters
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 12:50 PM | Permalink

I think i'd eat this with a silicone spatula to get every last bit of PB and chocolate off of the plate. Cheers!

12. avatar biz319
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 4:28 PM | Permalink

It looks delicious, but sometimes looks can be deceiving!

I recently made a pumpkin pie for my husband after he spent 6 hours fixing the AC on my daughters car – I used a mix of butter shortening and real butter in the crust and its one of the tenderest and tastiest crusts I've made.

Hope everyone got back to school okay!

13. avatar cupcakeliz
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 4:39 PM | Permalink

I might have a recipe you can try! I got this from a friend who got it from his mom after I complained on Facebook that I couldn't find a peanut butter pie without cream cheese in the filling…hope Himself enjoys it! :D

Peanut Butter Pie

1/3 cup peanut butter
    3/4 cup confectioners sugar

Blend together until mealy. Set aside. May want to double.

1-9 or 10" baked pie crust
    1 cup sugar
    4 egg yolks
    1-3 Tbsp peanut butter (I use 2-3 big spoonfuls)
    3 cups milk
    4 heaping Tbsp cornstarch
    3 Tbsp butter

Sprinkle 2/3c (or more if you double recipe)over baked pie shell. Heat 2 1/2 cups milk. Mix sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup milk. Pour this mixture into milk which has been warmed and cooled. Cook until thick. Add butter and peanut butter. Pour into pie shell over crumbly mixture. You may sprinkle some of crumbly mixture on top of pie filling.

Meringue ingredients:
    (Or use any recipe)
    3 egg whites
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    1/3 cup sugar
    Optional-1tsp cornstarch

Beat egg whites til stiff; add cream of tartar. Gradually add sugar (and cornstarch). Beat til stiff. Pile on pie and sprinkle with remaining crumbly mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes til slightly browned. Cool thoroughly before serving. (May chill after cooled from oven)

14. avatar June (JBug)
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 5:03 PM | Permalink

I really like the idea of making a chiffon pb pie. Mine is quite dense though it is the big guy's absolute favorite too (next to creme brulee). Do ya' think are guys might be related…nah!

15. avatar EAT!
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 5:20 PM | Permalink

give this one a try Robin Sue –

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PIE
    Source: Recipe adapted from The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins (Workman)
    SERVES 8

This is a super-rich pie, just a thin-wedge is an ample serving – ha never!!.

FOR THE CRUST:
    FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
    1/2 cup, granulated sugar
    1/2 cup, heavy or whipping cream
    2 ounces, good-quality unsweetened chocolate
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick), unsalted butter
    1/2 teaspoon, vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

TO PREPARE THE CRUST:
    In a mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Stir together thoroughly. Press the mixture into the sides and bottom of a nine-inch pie plate.

Bake the crust for 8 minutes, then set it aside to cool completely.

TO PREPARE THE FILLING:
    In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, peanut butter and sugar until thoroughly blended.

Using an electric mixer (or by hand) beat the cream until stiff. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Spoon this filling into the cooled pie crust.

To prepare the topping: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and cream. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture without stirring for 6 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate and butter, and stir until melted. Then stir in the vanilla.

To compose the pie: Carefully pour the topping over the pie and refrigerate, uncovered for at least four hours.

16. avatar Robin Sue
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 6:51 PM | Permalink

Whoa! Thanks for all the recipes, I had no idea that there could be so many kinds. Cupcakeliz, yours sounds very PA Dutch! I will start trying all of these soon and see which Himself likes…

17. avatar Fallon
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 7:13 PM | Permalink
  18. avatar Julie
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 10:48 PM | Permalink

Wow…I'll be happy to take of the leftovers!
    Does he like chocolate in it, or is he a PB purist? I made Emeril's choc/pb pie and loved it.

19. avatar Melissa Guay
    Posted 09/01/2010 at 11:17 PM | Permalink

It's not gourmet but my family has made a frozen one for years – easy peasy!

1 carton vanilla ice cream
    1 cup pnut butter (crunchy is best)
    8 oz cool whip
    2 graham cracker crusts
    chocolate sauce (homemade is best)
    mix ingredients, pour into 2 pie crusts & freeze. Serve with choc sauce drizzled on top. Really good when you chop up pnut butter cups and mix in and add more to the top.
    Mmmmmm.

20. avatar FOODalogue
    Posted 09/02/2010 at 10:07 AM | Permalink

Looks fabulous to me. I think you need to slap an apron on 'himself' and let him have a go at it!

21. avatar Megan
    Posted 09/02/2010 at 2:44 PM | Permalink

I was recently craving peanut butter pie, so I made one for my birthday. I used Ruth Levy Berenbaum's recipe for Peanut Butter and Chocolate Tart from "The Pie and Pastry Bible". The crust is made with peanut butter cookie dough, the peanut butter layer has cream cheese, but isn't too fluffy, and it is topped with chocolate ganache. And I gilded the lily by putting whipped cream on top. I've never had a peanut butter pie I didn't like, but this may be the best – I highly recommend this one!

22. avatar Sabrina
    Posted 09/04/2010 at 4:45 PM | Permalink

Good luck on your quest Robin Sue. Can't wait to read about the recipe that wins the favor of himself.

23. avatar Jessica
    Posted 09/07/2010 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

Wish I could help you out, but I'm keeping an eye on your progress so that I can make one for my little guys. The picture does look beautiful however!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

24. avatar steph
    Posted 09/07/2010 at 8:05 PM | Permalink

OMG – the pie looks amazing!

Sounds like you have a fun quest on your hands. I have this recipe from a local restaurant – http://plainchicken.blogspot.com/2008/11/peanut-butter-pie.html

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks to die for.

25. avatar JadeLD
    Posted 09/08/2010 at 10:41 AM | Permalink

The photo makes me hungry and the recipe sounds great but that review has put me off! I think I'll wait to see if you come up with a preferred recipe – good luck!