Book Club Baked Brie with Pancetta, Mushrooms, and Pine Nuts

This is by far my most favorite savory baked brie recipe. My friend Rindy introduced it to our Supper Club a few years back and since then, each time I made it, it is inhaled by my guests. I have since dubbed it Book Club Baked Brie because when I made this for my Neighborhood Book Club the entire dish was gone in 5 minutes flat, so you may want to double the recipe. This time I am making this baked brie for my friend Marjorie. We made a deal, I make this dish and she supplies me with fantastic German wine. I think we both won. Smile.

Book Club Baked Brie
4 ounces diced pancetta
1/3 cup finely diced sweet onion
10 ounces finely diced mushrooms
1/3 cup Good! Red Wine, I used MacRostie Syrah
3/4 cup toasted pine nuts
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 pound wedge or wheel of brie cheese, cubed

In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook onion and pancetta until pancetta is slightly browned. Tilt pan and spoon out excess grease, or soak up with paper towel. Add mushrooms and red wine and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is cooked off, about 30 minutes. Add pine nuts and cook another 5 minutes so that the nuts release their oils and flavor. Gently salt and pepper to taste. In a greased baking dish spread out cubed brie and top with mushroom mixture. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Serve with crackers or baguette slices. I used sandwich thins, split and quartered. Serves 8.

***Other uses for this mushroom topping: Toss with cubed brie in hot pasta, toss while still warm with spinach leaves and vinaigrette dressing, or serve atop thinly sliced, toasted, and buttered baguettes.

Robin Sue’s Summer 2010 Favorite Reads
Cutting for Stone
The School of Essential Ingredients

The Lisbeth Salander Trilogy
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest

The Hunger Games Trilogy
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mocking Jay

Read any good books lately? Do share…

Email Recipe | Print Page

1. avatar Rindy R
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 6:46 AM | Permalink

Oh – I do love that recipe! It is hard to hate anything with Pine nuts in it – don't you think?!

2. avatar High Plains Drifters
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 7:42 AM | Permalink

Was just reading that there's huge potential for American piñon nuts but they are currently only grown in forests that are protected as state parks or recreational areas. In terms of dollars per pound of protein, they're cheaper to grow than beef. Cheers!

3. avatar Alison
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 9:49 AM | Permalink

This sounds YUMMY!!! I can't wait to try it!

4. avatar RecipeGirl
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

This looks absolutely mouth-watering… I'm a brie fanatic, so I'm bookmarking to try for sure!

5. avatar oneordinaryday
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 12:30 PM | Permalink

Love the deal you made with your friend. You're right – you both won!

I loved Cutting for Stone and The School of Essential Ingredients too. Actually, my book club read Cutting for Stone not long ago and it was a hit w/ everyone. I've only read Dragon Tattoo, so I'm behind on that trilogy, but I'll catch up.

My faves this summer have been The White Tiger and The Master Butchers Singing Club.

6. avatar Maria
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 4:46 PM | Permalink

I LOVED the School of Essential Ingredients!! And I LOVE this recipe! Yum!

7. avatar Patsyk
    Posted 09/20/2010 at 9:05 PM | Permalink

Oh, I'm going to have to make this one soon! I won't be able to stop eating it once it's ready!

8. avatar Mary at Deep South Dish
    Posted 09/21/2010 at 6:49 PM | Permalink

I just love the ooey gooey-ness of baked brie! Sounds like a winner.

9. avatar Biz
    Posted 09/22/2010 at 8:26 AM | Permalink

Of course, you know my love for cheese – this recipe just brings it over the top!!

I used to read books all the time – I need to get back in the habit of reading before bedtime.

10. avatar Mimi
    Posted 09/24/2010 at 1:45 AM | Permalink

What a yummy baked brie.
    I've read Steig Larsson's books and Cutting for Stone is on order. I need to check out the others on your list.
    Mimi

11. avatar Karen
    Posted 09/24/2010 at 1:16 PM | Permalink

This sounds like a perfect Autumn food!